Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB injection scars

Options
  • 26-08-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Slightly concerned here at the moment and would appreciate anyones possible experience on this. My daughter is 2yrs old she had her tb injection about 3-4 months ago, it left quite a mark. The marks were healing but for the last couple of weeks they have become very prominent and red: two red spots with an almost blue to black scab in the centre.

Her mood has also changed and she is very cranky and hard to deal with which is totally outside of her previous character which was one of being a very happy carefree child. It could be the terrible twos of course but the regression of the healing of the scars concerns me, other people have noticed this as well as the scars are very obvious. She also has an abnormal amount of dirty nappies lately, I am concerned about this as a new parent. Anyone? I will give more details if needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think you should bring her to see your GP. He/she will know what they are dealing with and can treat anything that may need attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Definately bring her to GP - it's probably nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Deliverance, my daughter had BCG vaccination and 3 months later one scar became very raised and sore to touch. I was worried and showed it to phn - she assured me it was normal and meant her body was fighting the BCG, meaning she wouldn't need a booster when she's older. Later, the scar developed pus, so I lanced it myself and it started to reduce in size. It's fine now, though I was told afterwards by phn that the formation of pus was not normal and should have got the attention of a doctor!
    I cannot be sure if the amount of dirty nappies she had was increased at the time - she was being breastfed and producing lorryloads of dirty nappies anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

kelle wrote:
    Deliverance, my daughter had BCG vaccination and 3 months later one scar became very raised and sore to touch. I was worried and showed it to phn - she assured me it was normal and meant her body was fighting the BCG, meaning she wouldn't need a booster when she's older. Later, the scar developed pus, so I lanced it myself and it started to reduce in size. It's fine now, though I was told afterwards by phn that the formation of pus was not normal and should have got the attention of a doctor!
    I cannot be sure if the amount of dirty nappies she had was increased at the time - she was being breastfed and producing lorryloads of dirty nappies anyway!

Thanks, it is the scars that concerned me the most, but it sounds like this is a normal process, I suspected her body was fighting something. It sounds like it is probably down to the bcg injection. I will keep an eye on the scars and the GP will get a visit if they get worse. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭simona

there might be a bit of discharge in the scar as well.(well for my 2 months baby) .i was worried as well but they said it is normal and takes time to heal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My son had his BCG at 9 weeks...for about 4-5 weeks after his arm seemed just fine,then 2 very sore looking lumps raised on the site...they then turned into scabs and began to weep.

The thing was that we had just gotton over our son needing Pyloromyotomy and really didnt want to have to see another doctors surgery so we left it.

One night after bathing him I noticed one of the scabs came off and to my mind ALOT of puss came out...I gently wiped the area with an alcohol wipe we got from the hospital to keep our sons wound clean and I was just amazed by the amount of puss.

Our son is now nearly 7 months and still his arm looks a little sore...he jsut got his 6 month jab and the doc said its fine...

We were on holiday in Portugal last week so babs arm was exposed to the sun and air alot and it seemed to help the site heal alot quicker...so maybe letting the air at the site might help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks for replies, she is doing well. She went through a bad patch for 1-2wks, totally not herself. The scars flared up in the middle of this.

But now she is doing great and is in great form and the scars are healing up. I'd hate to see what a full blown TB infection does. I'm glad that cork health services have now introduced the injection for kids after the 'outbreak' at those creches.

Advertisement