Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feasability of living in a caravan

Options
  • 26-08-2007 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I worked out that if I was 2 live here for another 2yrs I would end up paying about 7000 in rent. I could get a caravan with another fella for a grand each.

Where would I park it though? Can you rent a spot in a caravan park or is there any other solutions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Pay your rent like the rest of us for feck sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sleep in your car.

Or buy a motor home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Buy a camper van and drive around the west of Ireland in it for the rest of your life. I get so jealous of those guys at the beach when I'm struggling to change into my wetsuit in the back of my corolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

cornbb wrote:
    Buy a camper van and drive around the west of Ireland in it for the rest of your life. I get so jealous of those guys at the beach when I'm struggling to change into my wetsuit in the back of my corolla.

How would I have showers and electricity though without a loud generator. I would say a caravan would be better as it would probably be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I worked out that if I was 2 live here for another 2yrs I would end up paying about 7000 in rent. I could get a caravan with another fella for a grand each.

Where would I park it though? Can you rent a spot in a caravan park or is there any other solutions? :)

so you came to Galway to live in a caravan?
    well you came to the right place, plenty of "communities" around here

• Advertisement

so you came to Galway to live in a caravan?

No I didn't. I came to work...What are you on about??? :p

well you came to the right place, plenty of "communities" around here

Ha ha. Your so clever and funny. Not!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No I didn't. I came to work...What are you on about??? :p

Ha ha. Your so clever and funny. Not!

Chill out there, work, they're only having a laugh. Its an internet forum, what ya expect!
    There's a caravan park in Salthill by the driving range, don't know the number but you could call out and ask them the story... looks pretty good facilities wise but I've only driven past it....

Chill out there, work, they're only having a laugh. Its an internet forum, what ya expect!
    There's a caravan park in Salthill by the driving range, don't know the number but you could call out and ask them the story... looks pretty good facilities wise but I've only driven past it....

I know the second part was but the first part wasn't! It's Monday, i've been in work since six. I'd probably be less harsh under different circumstances.

Sorry by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Sounds like a great idea. It'd be worth buying a good one, plenty of space,extra insulation for those cold/wet/windy Wesht coast winters.

Salhill caravan park is the only one I know, dunno if they're open during the winter or if they'd let you stay long term.
    They've hot showers and electricity so you'd be grand. I presume it's around 20euro a night during the summer.

Give it a go best of luck.

Sounds like a great idea. It'd be worth buying a good one, plenty of space,extra insulation for those cold/wet/windy Wesht coast winters.

Salhill caravan park is the only one I know, dunno if they're open during the winter or if they'd let you stay long term.
    They've hot showers and electricity so you'd be grand. I presume it's around 20euro a night during the summer.

Give it a go best of luck.

Cheers mate it's really great to hear somebody that thinks this is as good an idea as I think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's a crowd of travellers (So the Radio says) living in camper van's at the back of Leisureland atm and the guard's can't get rid of them. Something about that legally they can shift caravans, but not campervans... maybe you could move up there and live with them? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

So... you want to buy a caravan to avoid paying rent.. but then want to rent a spot in a caravan park ? wtfs

DRakE wrote:
    So... you want to buy a caravan to avoid paying rent.. but then want to rent a spot in a caravan park ? wtfs

No I don't really want to do this but I may have to. Anyway if I was it would have to be much cheaper than renting a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

What's happening in two years? You could live rent free (and save on the caravan) by sleeping in the doorway of Zhivago's on Shop street.

It does seem like a bit hypocritical alright, but of course the big downside of parking on an illegal spot is not facilities.

Have a look into canal barges too,I know in Athlone people live on barges on the river and have electricity and stuff, no rent:p

It does seem like a bit hypocritical alright, but of course the big downside of parking on an illegal spot is not facilities.

Have a look into canal barges too,I know in Athlone people live on barges on the river and have electricity and stuff, no rent:p

Where in galway can you park a canal barge? I would be interested in looking into this.

jesus just rent a room in a flat if you've a job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The only place in galway with electricity & water for barges is teh Harbour and they will charge you upwards of 500 euros per month to park there.

A barge equipped to live on will set you back between 100 and 200 thousand euros.
    Depending on the size of course... that's for houseboats, you could probably get a lot smaller & cheaper.

Have a look at www.aquadomi.ie for some pretty nice looking gaffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Where in galway can you park a canal barge? I would be interested in looking into this.

On the canal? :o

I remember there used to be a barge near the new bridge, think someone lived on it.

You could moor your barge at Woodquay, it's a public pier. Still no electricity/water(Well, drinkable stuff) though

DRakE wrote:

7000k over 2yrs = 3months work (5 days a week, 9-5pm- 45hrs a week - 540hrs in work just to pay rent to some rich arsehole)

And living in a caravan would be a bit of crack aswell! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I know the second part was but the first part wasn't! It's Monday, i've been in work since six. I'd probably be less harsh under different circumstances.

Sorry by the way.

apology accepted.
    its no fun looking for housing in galway...sorry for making a joke about it.
    buy a caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

DRakE wrote:

The rental market is gone insane, thanks to an increasingly mobile society/workforce, the older generation buying up apartments to make money from them (hiking up rent to pay their inflated mortgages), and there being sfa actual affordable houses being built/coming on the market around the city, instead being pushed out to outlying towns where the land is cheaper, and people commute into work in the city, leading to increased traffic on the roads, and lower quality of life all-round.

This is what is known as 'progress' and a 'vibrant economy' in Ireland.

We're fncked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I thought about this myself too before:D Do you mean a proper mobile home or a caravan father ted style? I'd like a nice yacht aswell! How would you feel asking your new girlfriends parents over for dinner in your caravan though?:p

It'd be great to see someone drifting (excuse the pun) from the norm (and I don't mean the Galway normality of simple opting not to work) but to work and not follow the crowd (by buying a semi-D or renting with large rent), there are alternatives and someone has to lead.

Those water homes look nice, wonder if you flooded a field would work, would you have to get planning permission?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Live in a zeppelin. Your house parties would be great.

Yeah the water homes look cool, I wonder how much they start from? You could just plant it in a big pond somewhere and hope nobody throws stones!

cormie wrote:
    I thought about this myself too before:D Do you mean a proper mobile home or a caravan father ted style? I'd like a nice yacht aswell! How would you feel asking your new girlfriends parents over for dinner in your caravan though?:p

Father ted style but about twice the size I would say man. I'd need it for when Fr. Noel Furlong comes along as he recked the other one. :D

Overwhelming amount of crustys on here :(

Rent's always gonna be expensive. A Caravan would be fun for about an hour til you realised its tiny and rubbish :\

DRakE wrote:
    Overwhelming amount of crustys on here :(

Rent's always gonna be expensive. A Caravan would be fun for about an hour til you realised its tiny and rubbish :\

Plenty of people live in bedsits, tiny things but they manage fine. A mobile home would probably be cheaper and bigger. I suppose it's just a stigma have against being referred to as a traveller or trailer trash. It's really quite a sensible thing to do.

• Advertisement

I'm certainly not a crusty and I must say Drake you are very narrow-minded.

I generally find narrow minded people an incredible pain.

Good luck to you spending loads of money on rent. By the way my sums were done on a basis of 65e a week. Some people pay over e100 no bother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement