Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feasability of living in a caravan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Is this what you are looking for???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

cormie wrote:
    Plenty of people live in bedsits, tiny things but they manage fine. A mobile home would probably be cheaper and bigger. I suppose it's just a stigma have against being referred to as a traveller or trailer trash. It's really quite a sensible thing to do.

+1

A guy I know from home grew up in a mobile home (no, they're not travellers).
    Last I heard he was a qualified barrister... definitely not a crusty or trailer trash...

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Is this what you are looking for???
    Wow that's a beauty, on the coast too, I'd say it's nice in December.

It's worth a try, what have you to lose. Call the Salthill caravan park and see how much a long term plot is.
    I think that mobile homes are about 10K to buy and some annual charge for the facilities on top of that, that's the ones down in Lahinch, the mobile homes are permanent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe that you're all close minded enough to not suggest living under the sea. No rent, no bin charges, no accusations, just friendly crustaceans, take it from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm certainly not a crusty and I must say Drake you are very narrow-minded.

I generally find narrow minded people an incredible pain.

Good luck to you spending loads of money on rent. By the way my sums were done on a basis of 65e a week. Some people pay over e100 no bother.
    I live at home for free \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

I worked out that if I was 2 live here for another 2yrs I would end up paying about 7000 in rent. I could get a caravan with another fella for a grand each.

Where would I park it though? Can you rent a spot in a caravan park or is there any other solutions? :)

you go get a caravan.. tell me where you live and i'll move in.. i'm payin 10,200 for the next 2 years.. already been living here 6 yrs.. you do the maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Such a downer. I'm not sure if I can go ahead with it. Somebody (experienced) just told me you can't really live in a caravan during the winter as it will be damp and everythin'.

I still have a glimpse of hope. Maybe she is just used to a luxury oven house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would you not go for a proper mobile home instead of a caravan? I'd say it'd be much more suited to long term living. I know people stay in mobile homes for months on end when the parks are open, and sure Irish weather is winter a lot of the time anyway so it must still be feasible:) Although a mobile home would set you back a fair bit more and you couldn't just drive it away like you could a caravan, but it'd be so much better to actually live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Here you go... a mere 150k
    www.daft.ie/1254936

The caravan parks close during winter. You cannot even stay in them in a mobile home. Anyone willing to let me use the corner of their field?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mighty Slug

Workaccount....ye gods....bet you're ready to slit yer throat now....or is that me?
    I have the same sort of idea - well a mobile home of sorts but for different reasons - I suffer from electrosensitivity and need a home in a place free of Masts. A mobile home would seem like the cheapest option and one where I can live without next-doors WI-FI, cordless phones, mobiles etc. if in the right place. But for this reason Wooden material would be the best option. I am looking into Park Homes (they have residential sites) but also sell mobile homes. If you have a little cash to begin with you could invest in some land with others and buy your own Park home or caravan to put on it. I believe that there are a growing number of settlements in UK and Europe mainly things like eco-settlements and it appears this type of sustainable living is really taking over.

I am looking to move from London to Ireland to escape the Masts - does anyone know of Mast-free areas. At one time I read Kerry was Mast free but I don't know if that is still the same. What about Galway - anyone know of a mobile home site/caravan there?

The Slug;)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I worked out that if I was 2 live here for another 2yrs I would end up paying about 7000 in rent. I could get a caravan with another fella for a grand each.

Where would I park it though? Can you rent a spot in a caravan park or is there any other solutions? :)

by my very rough calculation, you are paying about €300 pm rent at the moment, I presume you have your own room. My question is that if you are willing to share a dinky caravan, why don't you share a room to cut your rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

half of Galway live in a caravan so you'll fit right in....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I think its a great Idea!
    Why not buy a campervan and u could strike up some sort of deal with someone to park it in there garden,so to empty ur facilities(!)and maybe pay minimal to tap into there electricity.
    Fair play I think its a deadly idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I think it's a brilliant idea Workaccount! I love mobile homes especially. I stayed in a couple durin my time. They can be cold but you just need to get a fairly modern, well insulated one. I'm sure it's the same for caravans. I like them because they use the available space so well. Every inch is used. There's no waste.
    I used to live on a barge in Galway City, in the commercial docks for 3 months with my gf. I wasn't supposed to for insurance reasons (in case an oil tanker went off course and crushed us) but I loved it. There was no running water or electricity (this is before the utility pillars were installed there) but I loved it. i used a generator foe power and there were two huge water storage tanks on board for water. I had to pay mooring fees there...but I would have had to pau them anyway regardless of whether or not I lived on it. So I said f**k it, why pay rent in an apartment when I can live here. Okay, this doesn't really help you I know, but it's something I feel very strongly about. For this reason I managed to "secure" the Mud-Dock (the old dock at the end of the long walk) for private use whereas the rest of galway city is controlled/owned by the council and I would have to get planning permission. I had the boat moored there for over a year. I can live there on it no problem now if I choose. It's city centre, great views etc. etc. It's pretty messy down there at present but it just needs some dredging/cosmetic work and I could do with buying a gun so that I can shoot the Gomeys who for some strange reason love to push the old quay-wall stones into the water???
    My point is anyway, that there are ways and means to achieve something if you want to do it strongly enough.
    Again, living in a mobile home/caravan is a great idea. I honestly considered putting one in my back garden but it's not long enough and also because I would have to have used a crane to lift it in as the house is terraced.
    Don't mind the people who think they are clever by knocking the idea and looking down their noses at it. I know they are joking but still...It's not for everyone of course but that doesn't mean it's not a very valid idea :) I will watch your post with great interest to see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sounds like a great idea op,always wanted to do something similar,although it wouldn't do anything to stop the traveller gibes i get.Anyways wrt water for showers,i think some campers would have solar panels like the ones people use for hot water in houses.Same could be possible for the leccy.Good luck in your quest!

We had some crusties try that a good few years ago now in the bog down the road. We put in up gates across the road.

I'll rent you a corner of a field, €3,500 per year. Water extra. No elec. Just 7 miles from Galway.

We had some crusties try that a good few years ago now in the bog down the road. We put in up gates across the road.

I'll rent you a corner of a field, €3,500 per year. Water extra. No elec. Just 7 miles from Galway.

Your rent would cost me the same as renting in an apartment but thanks for the offer anyway.

The idea was put off due to lack of interest from the others but I may do it if I come across someone I know who thinks the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Your rent would cost me the same as renting in an apartment. :rolleyes:

The idea was put off due to lack of interest from the others but I may do it if I come across someone I know who thinks the same.

Workaccount, your attitude sucks. What's with giving the rolleyes to someone who made you an offer.

More importantly, your idea is a non runner if you want somewhere with running water and electricity.

A friend of mine got a long term deal with a caravan park at a rate of 70 euro per week. And that was after haggling because it was long term.

Unless you get a farmer or someone else to give you space, running water and electricity for a nominal fee/next to nothing, your idea just won't work.

kraggy wrote: »
    Workaccount, your attitude sucks. What's with giving the rolleyes to someone who made you an offer.

More importantly, your idea is a non runner if you want somewhere with running water and electricity.

A friend of mine got a long term deal with a caravan park at a rate of 70 euro per week. And that was after haggling because it was long term.

Unless you get a farmer or someone else to give you space, running water and electricity for a nominal fee/next to nothing, your idea just won't work.

Dya reckon? Actually I suppose if it was split between 2 it would not be so bad.....3.5k seems an awful lot just to use a small space in the corner of a field. 1k to 1500 would be reasonable seeing as you would only be taking up a tiny space.

70 euros is not the worst seeing as you have amenities as it works out around 3.5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haggle, the corner could either earn a field owner money, or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

If the sum total of your life finds you living in a caravan in the corner of a field,I'd consider that a failure :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you work, by the sounds of things.

I work too, so that I can afford somewhere to live, food to eat, clothes to wear, medical treatment when I'm sick, social activities to keep me entertained, beer to drink, etc. In roughly that order.

You obviously don't work to live. So that really raises the question of why you're working, and why you think there's something wrong with using a large proportion of your wages to get somewhere to live. (vs using a large proportion for other things, eg beer).

An idea for you though: look for a job with accommodation included. I don't know what sort of jobs have this in Ireland, maybe some sort of live-in caregiver for an elderly person or an apartment block or somesuch. In some countries there would be farming jobs with accommodation provided, but I'm guessing that farms here are so small and (relatively) close to things that its not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... I suffer from electrosensitivity and need a home in a place free of Masts. ... live without next-doors WI-FI, cordless phones, mobiles etc. ...
    I am looking to move from London to Ireland to escape the Masts - does anyone know of Mast-free areas. At one time I read Kerry was Mast free but I don't know if that is still the same. What about Galway - anyone know of a mobile home site/caravan there?

I've heard that there's mobile phone coverage in all but about 2% of the island of Ireland. Can't quote a source, but I've been surprised at the seemingly-remote places where I've had a strong signal.

I hate to break it to you ... but radio waves are EVERYWHERE .. on this planet anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement