Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is dbs a private collage?

Options
  • 26-08-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi,
    a friend of mine got accepted to dublin business school and he's wondering is it a private collage or what, he needs to know if he can get in on a grants system.. i emailed the collage but still no reply.. could'nt find any dbs forum so i just posted here.
    thanks for any help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

"Dublin Business School (DBS) is an independent business college in Ireland and provides a range of undergraduate, graduate, professional and executive education programms. The college recently purchased Portabello College which makes Dublin Business School Ireland's Largest Private Education Provider."

Gota love wiki

It's fee paying, and there are no maintenance grants which cover fee paying colleges. There are, however, scholarships at some of the fee paying colleges which he should enquire about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You'll hear it called "Daddie's Business School" by some unkind people.
    The implication being that it is for students that do poorly at the LC but have parents that can afford the fees.

I'm not making that comment: it's just what I've heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 superskunk

haha, i told him this now he's really upset and nervous as he doesnt know if he can go to collage this year.. is their any chance he could be offered a place in a course he put down on his cao above his dbs course in second round offers even if their are no availabilities/vacant places advertised on cao.ie? and is it likely that more vacant places will become available and advertised by the 28th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

He can get offered above whatever preference DBS was, only if the points go down, if he fulfills the matriculation and course requirements, or he might get in on appeals, but that's a while away.

You can apply for tax relief on private college fees. No, that's all I know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

micmclo wrote:
    You'll hear it called "Daddie's Business School" by some unkind people.
    The implication being that it is for students that do poorly at the LC but have parents that can afford the fees.

That's true, whether it's unkind or not. When I was in Portobello we were asked why we were there and had the same answer - didn't get the points for what we wanted in a "free" college course.

While most of the private course have very low entry points because you get people who were ten or twenty points short of law or psychology in a "free" college you still get an awful lot of brain boxes in private colleges not just Cletus with a bag full of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Seriously, did he do no research when filling his CAO form? This is a pretty costly mistake that could easily have been avoided with any amount of reading up about the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I shuddered when I looked through their BA in "Business information systems" before I filled out the CAO form.
    Looks like a great place to produce prospective PHB's for the workplace:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 drunknmunky

heyb uddy hope you get one of your other choices.unfortunately i put dbs at the top of my cao and now have to take a year out because i cant pay to go there.Thought in fairness who wants to hire somebody from a college where you buy your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

who wants to hire somebody from a college where you buy your degree.

you should probably ask all the business owners in america that question as they seem to find the graduates perfectly fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

heyb uddy hope you get one of your other choices.unfortunately i put dbs at the top of my cao and now have to take a year out because i cant pay to go there.Thought in fairness who wants to hire somebody from a college where you buy your degree.

Are you under the illusion that they don't work for their degree?
    If anything, people in the free fee's colleges can get away with being lazy, Principally because they aren't footing the bill.
    unless of course everybody that goes to DBS is swimming in their own wealth...
    Mind you, I would still urge someone to at least try and aim for a public institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Naikon wrote:
    Are you under the illusion that they don't work for their degree?
    If anything, people in the free fee's colleges can get away with being lazy, Principally because they aren't footing the bill to taxpayers.
    unless of course everybody that goes to DBS is swimming in their own wealth...
    Mind you, I would still urge someone to at least try and aim for a public institution.

you have to pass the exams to get your degree weather it is a private college or one with free fees

Advertisement