Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding, Penalty points Law

Options
  • 26-08-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Got a letter from the Guards saying I was speeding on the Lucan Road!!

The only have a photo of my number plate, they dont say where on the road or which direction I was driving only the date and time.

I thought they had to tell you this show you a picture of your car ??

Also though I am Irish and have an Irish Registered car...I am driving on a full UK License, I understand that they cant apply penalty points .....but I heard something on the news that this was going to change.

Have you been in this situation? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I dont think its possible to get points on uk licence yet but its being introduced by next year

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think thats the case dre. They will allow cross border access to each others systems but this wont apply to 'mainland UK'.
    As for the pic the OP received, you can request the original pic from the gardai. I reckon it was taken by the talivan somewhere along the N4, either at Liffey Valley or just around the bend from the Foxhunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

kbannon wrote:
    I don't think thats the case dre. They will allow cross border access to each others systems but this wont apply to 'mainland UK'.
    As for the pic the OP received, you can request the original pic from the gardai. I reckon it was taken by the talivan somewhere along the N4, either at Liffey Valley or just around the bend from the Foxhunter.

There is a GATSO fixed camera at opposite the Spa Hotel on the N4 inbound, in an 80 kph zone. That would take pics of the car's rear.

If you have a mainland UK plate, the details are forwarded to the relevant UK authorites. In many cases lately, they apply the points. I don't know when the system is fully up and running, but it seems to be half working as it is.

I had forgotten about that one (and I live near it!!!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

GTC wrote:

If you have a mainland UK plate, the details are forwarded to the relevant UK authorites. In many cases lately, they apply the points. I don't know when the system is fully up and running, but it seems to be half working as it is.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard about it and a quick question to google and nothing relvant (that I could see) comes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I think they always sent the details on, its up to the UK authorites to apply the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

kearnsr wrote:
    Are you sure about that? I've never heard about it and a quick question to google and nothing relvant (that I could see) comes up

If there isn't uniformity of regulations relating to speed limits, can the UK apply points?

How would the UK authorities react if you appealed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 abbs07

speedin fines in the post ? seems if you ignore it and let it go to court it will get thrown out if you say you never got the original fixd penalty in the post
    saving you 2pts for a little white lie....;)

Thats not the case abbs07 - several reports of the judge asking the party if they were speeding and then throwing 4 points at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 abbs07

yes thats true too its a gamble ,anthing can happen in that game of charades called the courtroom
    so it could be 4 and a fine or just the briefs fees if hes good enough to win the case
    and on briefs fees :mad:
    garage maindealer fees:mad:
    concert tickets:mad:

ok ill stop goin a little off track ere...........:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

drdre wrote:
    I dont think its possible to get points on uk licence yet but its being introduced by next year

In the Irish Times today it says that the Road Safety Authority has confirmed that mutual recognition of penalty points between Ireland and Northern Ireland (and the rest of the EU) is still some years away.

Where are you getting your information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blonde36 wrote:
    Also though I am Irish and have an Irish Registered car...I am driving on a full UK License, I understand that they cant apply penalty points .....but I heard something on the news that this was going to change.
    Although EU-wide implementation is a few years away (speeding regulations still not being uniform), there are movements to have a North-South co-operative going much sooner than that. This wouldn't only apply to speeding, but Gardai in the South could let know the PSNI know if a suspected drink-driver had crossed the border, etc etc.

Note that if you're Irish or living and working here, then you have a PPSN. Penalty points are tied to your PPSN, and your PPSN is tied to you for as long as you live. If you trade in your UK licence for an Irish one, then all penalty points which you have accrued over your lifetime will be applied to your licence - penalty points expire three years after they're applied to your licence, not three years after they're given to you. Theoretically, the last for your entire life if you never hold an Irish licence.

If they establish and EU-wide system, it may be the case that all previous points are applied to any EU licence holder who accrued them, or they'll be wiped. I suspect the latter, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

GTC wrote:

Where are you getting this info from? This is not the case at all as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Where are you getting this info from? This is not the case at all as far as I know.

I'm not in Castlebar, I don't send out the tickets personally, I don't know if points are really applied in all cases. I can only tell you what others tell me. They may be 100% wrong. We do send the points to the UK, if they don't apply them, that's their problem. Personally I think the whole situation is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

GTC wrote:
    If you have a mainland UK plate, the details are forwarded to the relevant UK authorites.

True
    GTC wrote:
    In many cases lately, they apply the points. I don't know when the system is fully up and running, but it seems to be half working as it is.

False

Advertisement