Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vindicated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Worse, I think he sells firearms.

I'm basing that assumption on this excert from one of his posts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53162155&postcount=3

Quote:
    "The issue arose when I investigated holding a number of AEGs as stock"

Maybe he feels that airsoft is a direct threat to his business since people might choose to spend their money on buying an airsoft gun rather than joining a gun club and spending money on firearms???

Hi CR, no I don't think that means he's a licenced firearms dealer. AEG's are air soft as far as I know (or better Automatic Electric Guns). To me that sounds like someone stacking toys. ;)

Best,
    Preusse

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Regarding needle_too's approach of taking the battle to other media, I quite like the changes made as part of the most recent edit (at time of posting) to the Wikipedia page. As regards IP addresses, you should be able to get them from the history page.

Also, going back to the Examiner article needle_too was using as the basis of his post; if the Revenue Commissioner in question is quoting the Firearms Act of 1990 and there is a more recent revision/enactment of law (from what I understand of this thread, the Criminal Justice Act of 2006), I'd be more worried about a Revenue Commissioner quoting legal acts which have been superseded than whether some twit of a troll understands that he is not only hopelessly and utterly wrong, but also quite possibly a gift horse and convenient source of revenue to his solicitor. "What's that? You say you want to sue the sun for illuminating you on a daily basis without your consent? Why, of course I can provide you with legal counsel...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Vindication, thats where someoen sticks a hose pipe up your ass and turns on the tap right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Boston wrote:
    Vindication, thats where someoen sticks a hose pipe up your ass and turns on the tap right?

I believe you're thinking about Retribution here, Boston ;)

Vindication amounts to proving some assertions or predictions to be correct - example:

most "Boards airsofters" believed needle too to be a mong before this thread was posted
    most "Boards airsofters" were vindicated when said needle too did indeed post said 'Vindication' thread :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think there's a bit of confusion here due to the common usage of the words not being the same as the prefixed usage which I think Boston was referring to.

While ambro25's definition of "vindication" (as per the example) is broadly correct, I suspect that Boston is referring to "colonic vindication", which ambro is possibly confusing with karmic retribution.

For clarity's sake:

Colonic vindication : A post or series of posts which confirms a suspicion, created by a previous post or series of posts, that the poster is, in fact, full of crap.

Karmic retribution : Often meted out after witnessing colonic vindication regarding a specific poster, this involves the poster having a hose or tube forcefully inserted into the anus and subsequently being flushed out with water. The theory being that after karmic retribution, the poster will no longer be full of crap and thus not be compelled to post it on boards.ie

As you can see, these are both different to the general usage, as below:

Vindication : Being proven right; alternatively, in needle_too's case, being proven to still be wrong.

Retribution : A damn good kicking, possibly perceived to be deserved due to previous actions/statements.

• Advertisement

lol, I like this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So the OP has his little knickers in a twist? Or Are these things ilegal or what?

Can summarise it into one of the follwoing two

1. legal

2. illegal

Fysh wrote:
    Karmic retribution : Often meted out after witnessing colonic vindication regarding a specific poster, this involves the poster having a hose or tube forcefully inserted into the anus and subsequently being flushed out with water. The theory being that after karmic retribution, the poster will no longer be full of crap and thus not be compelled to post it on boards.ie

But I thought that was klismaphilic retribution :confused:

And that karmic retribution was closer to the likes of an imploding router, a hard drive head crash... that kinda thing :confused:

....must go grab the Lexicon, I'm a tad behind on the old syllabus...

@ Anti - Legal, be said now :D

I'm confused now. The Interweb tells me that Karmic retribution should involve an angry transvestite nurse and explosions (the latter are optional, as I understand it).

Perhaps I was thinking of Colonic Retribution when I posted earlier (synonymous with bum-vengeance, for those wondering, but nothing to do with Colinic Retribution, which is where you assault your target with one or more large gentlemen of your acquaintance who are named Colin). Perhaps Coral Retribution? (Taking them to the Great Barrier Reef, holding them upside down and battering them face-first into it). Carpal Retribution? (Breaking their wrists in such a way as to prevent them masturbating ever again) Calpol Retribution? (Forced ingestion of enough Calpol to make them vomit and promise to behave in future, possibly at the same time - "I promise I *BLEEEEEEEEURGH!*-gasp-I'll never do it ag*BLAAAAAAAARGH!* I'll be good! I swe*BLOOOURGH!")

I'm all confedurdled now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is it time for the cat pictures yet....? Surely after the first page it was.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

need a cat holding an airsoft toy

here we go but i have no photoshop for funny text insert

needle too, stop this nonsense or else...
    cat_gun.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fysh wrote:
    Regarding needle_too's approach of taking the battle to other media, I quite like the changes made as part of the most recent edit (at time of posting) to the Wikipedia page.
    /me takes little bow
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Sparks; /me takes little bow

He's using wikipedia as a personal argument page! get him! *mob attack*

Ahem... erm, much as I agree that the OP is a tard and airsoft is legal, wikipedia pages with visible edit arguments are just obvious and retarded and ruin the whole tone. So you/we should stick with defiantly maintaining it as a proper article?

A is great. Except sometimes A can be really crap. Yeah, but Mr B did a survey that proved A is great so you're ghey...

>_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 needle_too

You have totally lost the plot with this mate. Its a sport and it has fúck all to do with you so why are you so obsessed with it?

How do you know?
    That is very true. If the guy used the airsoft gun in a criminal act it would be classed as a weapon in that situation.

Which is the problem that needs to be addressed.
    depends on the weight of the projectile. A lighter projectile needs to be travelling faster to reach the 1 joule limit so giving a feet per second (fps) figure is misleading and ill-advised.

Shhh...dont want any debate or questions raised here.
    Given the nick, I think he's just out to needle, tbh ...

Shhh...
    Hmm the more I think about the more I am convinced that he is .....drumming up interest in Airsoft by using a sophisticated viral marketing technique

Dammit man, keep yer voice down!
    Hmmm, paintball sites also import 'firearms' a la markers. One of them feeling threatened perhaps?

Well, well the intelligensia are coming out to play.
    Seems not all is as it seems, eh?
    The only people who weren't interested were the Gardai on patrol at the event.
    Not exactly true, an interest was shown on sunday, albeit discretly as one or two may or may not have noticed.

And Spitfire knows what hes talking about. Cops dont waste their time.
    There is an issue here and no one has addressed it sensibly.
    What would you do Spitfire if someone pointed one at you? (i'm not ribbing, I'm asking seriously, put your uniform on and think like youre on the job - forget your personal opinion.) What would you do?
    taking the battle to other media

What do people think would be the outcome if this were aried on a radio phone-in chat-show thing. This issue is easy meat for politicians, people.
    You should be careful that this doesnt happen.

See on here there are too many kids w**king themselves into a froth about something they dont understand.
    That said, some intelligent posts and analysis too....although the 'thinkers' are clearly in the minority.

Nobody has suggested the obvious yet and certainly no one has done anything remotely positive about Airsoft. What about a national organisation?
    As soon as one of these things gets into the hands of a nutter then its lights out for Airsoft.
    If the one handed typists stopped to think for a minute they'd realise this.

A test case is needed but they are expensive.
    In their absense some responsible people need to take the reins.
    My probing has found mostly anxious and deluded zealots so far...but it appears some are aware of the issues....there may yet be hope for Airsoft in Ireland.

all I can say is wtf?

is this like a wise sensei teaching a student a lesson or something in some twisted way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

needle_too wrote:
    As soon as one of these things gets into the hands of a nutter then its lights out for Airsoft.

same with knives, hammers, cars, chairs, baseball bats, 2x4's, bricks, glass, screwdrivers, knitting needles, water, rope, ice, gas, coal, bottles, cans, barrels and fish.

seems to me it'd be quicker to just cut the hands off all the nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

tbh you beat me to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Seriously needle_too, turn off your puter, go outside, find a mountain, climb it, breath in all that fresh air....

• Advertisement

So let me get this straight. After what appears to be an ongoing campaign not just on boards but on wikipedia as well (and presumably, by extension, other sites where the subject can be discussed) to promote the viewpoint that Airsoft guns are flat-out illegal (despite various explanations as to why such a clear-cut, one-size-fits-all statement cannot be easily reconciled with the law as it is currently worded), you're now trying to claim that, actually,you're on the side of Airsoft players/users/whatever-the-term-is?

Awesome.

I can totally see how acting like a self-righteous, know-it-all moron and starting arguments with people will serve both the cause of you not being an Internet Dickwad and help Airsoft. Nothing helps promote a new activity than stirring up perceived legal uncertanties surrounding it and then attempting to disseminate factually incorrect opinions about it!

You've inspired me, needle_too! I'm off to encourage the Cork City library to expand its comics & graphic novels section by disseminating passages from Seduction Of The Innocent! Join the needle_too revolution, my fellow boardsies! Into film? Spread unconfirmed rumours about how sex/violence on the big screen leads to school shootings/emotional trauma/cancer/AIDS! Into videogaming? Distribute news articles that equate FPS gaming with murder training! (Alternatively, buy copies of the Daily Mail and hand them out to passers-by) Like writing and literature? Organise a book-burning in your nearest city centre!

Alternatively, we could try taking a common-sense approach to this. But frankly, if you really think that the bigger issues surrounding the legality of Airsoft can best be addressed by bringing the issue into the public eye via some daytime radio idiot and misrepresenting the facts on every website that allows you access, you're not just an idiot - you're a hindrance to any group you openly claim membership of.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Vegeta wrote:
    all I can say is wtf?

is this like a wise sensei teaching a student a lesson or something in some twisted way

You're giving the guy too much credit. He's now trying to change his angle of attack as he has been proven wrong on the legality issue so now he wants to save face and say "but all I said was that they could be illegal if you break the law with them". All just an attempt to dig himself out of his very large hole. It doesn't fly needles. We're not stupid.

Still hasn't answered my question as to why he thinks everyone should be "allowed to own a semi automatic firearm up to military caliber" but not airsoft toys.

Also, is this some form of veiled threat?
    needle_too wrote:

What do people think would be the outcome if this were aried on a radio phone-in chat-show thing. This issue is easy meat for politicians, people.
    You should be careful that this doesnt happen.
    d.

needle_too wrote:
    That is very true. If the guy used the airsoft gun in a criminal act it would be classed as a weapon in that situation.
    Which is the problem that needs to be addressed.

No. You, Sir, appear to be somewhat deluded.

There is no problem with this hypothetical situation: the perp will be done as if the device was real.

We (airsofters) are not against this position, we welcome it.

So, who else has said that there was a problem with this, but you?
    needle_too wrote:
    depends on the weight of the projectile. A lighter projectile needs to be travelling faster to reach the 1 joule limit so giving a feet per second (fps) figure is misleading and ill-advised.
    Shhh...dont want any debate or questions raised here.

And again. No. You, Sir, appear to be somewhat deluded - in fact, decidedly so.

There is no debate or questions to be had, the Statutory definition is crystal clear and there for all to see: 1 Joule max.

That's 328 FPS for a 0,20 gr. projectile.

If you use a heavier projectile, it won't be shot at 328 FPS by the same device, it will be shot at less FPS - and still amount to 1J.

If you use a lighter projectile, it won't be shot at 328 FPS by the same device, it will be shot at more FPS - and still amount to 1J.

That is not open to legal interpretation, it's basic physics.

If you can't understand a such simple mathematical equation, what hope have you got of entertaining any form of debate based upon interpretation of Statues?
    needle_too wrote:

It's been tried. It didn't even make the Sun, or Metro. Nor did plentiful attendance at Salute. So, what else you got in reserve?
    needle_too wrote:
    Nobody has suggested the obvious yet and certainly no one has done anything remotely positive about Airsoft. What about a national organisation?

You are welcome to join the IAA and apply for a Committee position. Note that appointment to the said Committe position is subjected to vote.
    needle_too wrote:
    In their absense some responsible people need to take the reins. My probing has found mostly anxious and deluded zealots so far...but it appears some are aware of the issues....there may yet be hope for Airsoft in Ireland.

Ah-ha! Now we're starting to see where all this is supposed to be going... Having some designs on representative duties, mr needle too?

You see, the problem is that you'll get nowhere with your hot/cold shower approach: you can either demonstrate support for this nascent sport in any helpful way, and eventually gain peer acceptance, or you can take your pills and start making sense.

'Matter of fact, why don't you start a thread in the Legal Forum and see where it goes? Post the relevant section of the Act, your interpretation (as influenced or not by Counsel's opinion - still waiting for those details, btw), and let's see what Boards' finests' take is?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

needle_too wrote:

Insert back track here.

So are you saying now that airsoft is legal but the device (like many other legally held items such as baseball bats, pencils, oranges etc) can be used in a threatening manner and that's the problem you have?

But its ok to own a machine gun of a certain type?

How can you before one thing against another when they are clearly very similar or potential could be abused in the same way.

Guns dont kill people do. Responsible people will use these in a responsible way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Needle_too wrote:

You know since this whole thing started I have been fairly happy to sit back and watch needle dig himself a big hole (No I wasn't secretly hoping that the sides would collapse suffocating him and sealing him away for all eternity) but the more I read that line the more it's bugging me. Nobody has done anything positive, Nobody, certainly not Oisin, Hivemind, Taz or myself. I mean its not like we spent months setting up the IAA. I'm sure the other members of the IAGB have done SFA (what? I like acronyms :D ) too. We haven't been forging links with the UKASGB, laying the ground work for registering ourselves as an officially recognised sporting body and prmoting Airsoft at every available oppertunity.

Nope clearly we have done none of these things. My god we haven't even started flame wars on multiple forums, made threats against specific people on wikipedia or acted like prats to the extent that we got ourselves banned from the Airsoft forum.

If only we could all have been as helpful and productive as good old Needle_too. Needle I'll send you a PM later with my address, you can swing by and collect all of my airsoft gear so that in future I can only use if, when and how you say so.

Admins, is there any way to shift this from Feedback to the Airsoft or Legal Forums?

I feel kinda bad, posting in here as if it were a bona fide [Airsoft/Legal] thread... yet can't help myself ;)

Perhaps the 'Legal Forum', since needles here is banned from the 'Airsoft Forum' and we need our daily fix (not to mention, he might get better advice :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ambro25 wrote:
    Admins, is there any way to shift this from Feedback to the Airsoft or Legal Forums?

I feel kinda bad, posting in here as if it were a bona fide [Airsoft/Legal] thread... yet can't help myself ;)

Perhaps the 'Legal Forum', since needles here is banned from the 'Airsoft Forum' and we need our daily fix (not to mention, he might get better advice :D)

Screw that, its only just getting good. This guy flip flops more then a clowns overly large shoes.

needle_too wrote:

These guns are already in the hands of nutters. I've known kids who have been parially blinded as a result of being shot in the streets with these guns. The nutters arn't the ones that you'll find playing at monitored sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Read first page and this page. Didn't read links.

Based on my limited information, I hereby state that it is my ill-considered opinion that needle_tool is indeed in need of a solitary hobby.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Oh how i love to hear how people like Needle_Two have opinions that are so one sided they will cry if theyre proved wrong haha.

I beleive u have dug urself into a very big hole which u will never get out of so just give it a rest and get a hobby because you seriously need one badly.

Dont even say that your worried about Airsoft equipment being used in an illegal manner come on for godsake cop on your the one who wants to own a machine gun so just give up and crawl back into the whole from where you came because honestly you havent a clue.

Advertisement