Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 350Z - tell me about them

Options
  • 27-08-2007 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Having gone for a fast saloon this time around i reckon its time for a coupe when i next change my car :)

so has anyone owned one? they seem to get great press, i love the look and sound (will test drive one soon)

Are they expensive to run? how do insurance companies get on with them?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Although a fantastic looking car I have heard and read that they're not the best sports coupe on the planet there's a few options in that category.

Honda S200/BMW Z4/Merc SLK/Chrysler Crossfire (old shape SLK engineering) and the Audi TT all come better recommended from a well known BBC motoring programme but afficionados deem their reviews absolute tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

erm the s2000/z4 are both verts

theres no way the crossfire is better than anything, even the old TT which wasnt the best,

from what ive heard the 350z was a pretty good drivers car and certainly far better than all of the above save the s2000 and maybe the 3litre z4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I drive the S2000 and had a few runs in the 350Z.

The 350 is a lovely car, the wife would prefer me to have it than the S2000, but to be honest its a bit heavy and the dulls some of its responsiveness relative to the S. The boot is useless.

Performance is good. Feels about as quick as the S2000 but less dramatic. You can feel the extra weight of the 350Z though. Its brutish through corners rather than lithe and nimble like the S. Interior is ok but I thought the dials were very small and hard to read. That could be me being used to the digital display on my current motor.

As far as I remember both Top gear and Evo magazine are very keen on the car.

Both the S2000 and Z4 can be got with a hardtop which might be something to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Any review I have read of them reckon they are a proper old school front engined rear drive sports car, I was tempted by a drop top one but the boss said I had t buy a four seater, and I always throw an enviable eye over them when I see them.

Have not driven one (Although its on the list) so I can't comment but I have heard them and WOW!, they really hit the nail on the head with that aspect.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

There has been one or two threads about the 350z in recent months.

MTC:
    Nice looking, drives well, good engine all let down by a horrible cheap interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

yeah, agree with most of the above - they pretty good, but you can do better for the money!

I would agree with the S2000 driver above, they dont feel as nimble as an S2000 (or and RX-8) and are not as easy to drive quickly. Though I would have said they were faster, not "just as fast" - dont know the stats, but hte 350 certainly felt a lot more muscular and quite a bit faster in the straights. I found the ride too hard for irish roads too (but then that could go for anything remotely sporty).

I guess it's heart v head (isnt it always!) but one thing you have to always consider is the costs - 3.5 V6 in this country is a rare thing for a reason! At least look at an RX-8 (tho I couldnt buy one, I think they look terrible) the tax and insurance bills will be lower, fuel probably about the same. Also - make sure you check out the new TT (not the old one, for love of God not the old one!!!) with the 2.0 FSI engine, which is nicer than the V6 - it'll save you in fuel, tax and insurance and it's a crackin drive!

Having said all that - you're talkin sports coupe, and head really had little to do with the decision - if the 350 is what gets you goin then forget that it's not the absolute best coupe out there - it's close enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

My Brohter has a 350Z ... only drove it once. Great thrill but for me it would be impractical as a family car. Bose speakers are mad! Top gear gave it a good review . I think if you are spending that sort of money a better investment would be a porshe . 350Z takes a serious depreciation drop in the first couple of years . If I won the lottery and wanted a 3rd car maybe it would be on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mack1 wrote:
    yeah, agree with most of the above - they pretty good, but you can do better for the money!

I would agree with the S2000 driver above, they dont feel as nimble as an S2000 (or and RX-8) and are not as easy to drive quickly. Though I would have said they were faster, not "just as fast" - dont know the stats, but hte 350 certainly felt a lot more muscular and quite a bit faster in the straights. I found the ride too hard for irish roads too (but then that could go for anything remotely sporty).

I guess it's heart v head (isnt it always!) but one thing you have to always consider is the costs - 3.5 V6 in this country is a rare thing for a reason! At least look at an RX-8 (tho I couldnt buy one, I think they look terrible) the tax and insurance bills will be lower, fuel probably about the same. Also - make sure you check out the new TT (not the old one, for love of God not the old one!!!) with the 2.0 FSI engine, which is nicer than the V6 - it'll save you in fuel, tax and insurance and it's a crackin drive!

Having said all that - you're talkin sports coupe, and head really had little to do with the decision - if the 350 is what gets you goin then forget that it's not the absolute best coupe out there - it's close enough!

i drive a 3litre bmw so engine size isnt a worry :) my budget will be circa 30k so the new tt is a non runner! also i prefer the look of the 350z over the rx8!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I had one which I sold last year - fantastic motor but not practical. Have a quick search as I have written a bit before about it. The insurance I had when I was 29 with full clean licence was around 1800 euro

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have just gone the same problem S2000/Boxter S/350Z/Z4.

I test drove all the above read all the reviews and did a bit of thinking. The Z4 3.0si came out on top for me and after a week of having it I know I made the correct choice, its a pure animal and also has a good boot is grand to drive around town slowly as well.

For here is the following:

S2000 - Great drivers car but not great to look at and even worse inside oh and the engine sounds crap as well, but reving to 9000 revs is kinda cool

BoxterS - Lovely car but starting to age I think and is due to be replaced next year. Lovely engine but zero practicality.

350Z - Lovely sound comfy to drive but with a crap boot. And at the end of the day I am afraid its a Nissan.

Z4 3.0 - Lovely to drive and very comfy though sometimes a little hard. Beautiful looking car and also has the badge to match the preformance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

In case it hasn't been said, there's a lot of modified 350's about, best to avoid them like the plague as quite often the mods are not done right and will be a cause of headaches for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

I think forget about the 350Z, take a look at the new Audi A5!

Got a look at one on Saturday evening and it's top of my list for the next car!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

A5 is a nice car but a bit boring unless you are getting the new S5

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Got a look at one on Saturday evening and it's top of my list for the next car!

really? I looked at one, fell asleep instantly and cracked my head off the pavement! They should be banned - that's dangerous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good advice! Now you just need to follow it up with where to buy a new A5 for €30k (his budget) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

mack1 wrote:
    really? I looked at one, fell asleep instantly and cracked my head off the pavement! They should be banned - that's dangerous!

:D:D:D

Advertisement