Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blind spot

Options
  • 27-08-2007 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any guidance on exactly when you are supposed to glance over your shoulder at your blindspots? My instructor only tells me to when pulling out, reversing round the corner and occasionally during three point turn. Sometimes I do it when changing lanes on a dual carriageway but only because everyone I know who drives does that!

I have my test in a couple of days and don't want to get marked down for not checking enough, but my instructor seems ok with how I do it now? Would really appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ellscurr wrote:
    Sometimes I do it when changing lanes on a dual carriageway
    Change that "sometimes" to "always" and you are well on the way to being a better driver.

Get in the habit of doing it, I've never heard of anyone failing their test for over-vigilence. An awareness of what's surrounding your vehicle is an absolute must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What Hagar said, always check the relevant blind spot when changing lanes.

Check when turning left and right at junctions etc too, checking your left mirror will let you see your blind spot with your peripheral vision, enough to see if there is a bike or motorbike there anyway, and when going right check the mirror and a quick look over the shoulder too.

You must do these checks during the test, failure to observe around you properly is the prime cause of failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks - I was figuring no-one had ever failed for being too observant tho I think someone posted here recently that he/she was rapped on the knuckles for it by the tester!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, dont forget taking a second to check your blindspot travelling at 50km/h, means you're not looking forward while your vehicle travels ~14 meters

for this reason, learning the appropriate use of the lifesaver is important

Advertisement