Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Pack for running

• 27-08-2007 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

After giving up going to the gym, I now feel very unfit so I am going to start running to and from work every day hopefully. I need a backpack to store my clothes in when I get into work. So I'm just wondering is there any running specific backpacks I could get, as in, one which is waterproof and won't bounce up and down the whole time I'm running???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Try the Outdoor shops, I have a Lowe Alpine with a breathable back. Did the job when I used to run to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Tingle wrote:
    Try the Outdoor shops, I have a Lowe Alpine with a breathable back. Did the job when I used to run to work.
    Something like this maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭martinl

What you could do as well is to get into work on your first working day of the week like you normally do and bring your clothes etc. along on.
    Then run home on that day or run to work the following day.

In this way you don't need to carry to much stuff around when you run or you might even get around without a backpack.

This is what I did a few years back, it worked out well and allowed me to take some rest days in between, especially good in case you are just getting back into running.

In case you are based in Dublin have a look at http://www.greatoutdoors.ie, they seem to have a good selection of all kinds of backpacks.

martinl wrote:
    What you could do as well is to get into work on your first working day of the week like you normally do and bring your clothes etc. along on.
    Then run home on that day or run to work the following day.

In this way you don't need to carry to much stuff around when you run or you might even get around without a backpack.

This is what I did a few years back, it worked out well and allowed me to take some rest days in between, especially good in case you are just getting back into running.

In case you are based in Dublin have a look at http://www.greatoutdoors.ie, they seem to have a good selection of all kinds of backpacks.
    Thanks for the informative post Martin. Yep I'm based in Dublin so will drop into the Great Outdoors over the weekend. The only problem I have is that the place I work for do not provide showering facilities. Just wondering how did you get around this problem? I plan on using a towel to wipe my sweat off and then liberal use of deodorant. I only live 3 miles from work and it's mostly downhill on the way in so it shouldn't be too hard on my morning journey.

Fletch, hmmm or could you just run back home from work, so you don't have to worry about not being able to take a shower or as you say just make yourself as fresh as possible with the provided facilities in the bathrooms.

My workplace had a shower.

Maybe there is a market for a new business, PUBLIC SHOWERS..... in the city centre proximity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use a Berghaus Freeflow 20litre for my cycling and running backpack.
    It has an arched panel to keep most of the backpack off your back.
    The new version has ventilated straps too.
    I tighten the shoulder straps and put on the waist strap and the back is quite stable.

I cycle into work most days. I will sometimes bring extra clothes on bike days to lessen the amount I have to carry on run days.
    For me a shower is essential. I leave my towel and shower gear in my desk drawers.

Well at the moment I drive to work as there is no real viable public transport option available to me (and I hate using buses anyway). I just think it is such a waste cranking the car up to drive 3 miles when I could use this time to incorporate my daily exercise.
    Public showers....now there's an idea :D Looks like the towel and deodorant idea will have to do for now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

fletch wrote:
    I just think it is such a waste cranking the car up to drive 3 miles when I could use this time to incorporate my daily exercise.
    Since it is only 3 miles, cycling is a good alternative to driving. As your office doesn't have showers (so many offices don't - not good) you could cycle gently into the office and then take a long route home.
    If you are running, cycle in and run home. The next morning you could walk (will take less than an hour).
    Some people use deodorant wet wipes to 'wash' themselves in the bathroom.

Or you could check out the prices for a day-pass in various gyms in the city centre close to your workpalce, run there, possibly do some other exercises, take a shower and go to work.

Some of the gyms offer a reduced price if you buy 10 day passes.

Or check out the prices for visiting a swimming pool to take a shower, not sure where they are in Dublins city centre.

Hi everybody, thanks for all the replies, lots of food for thought. Yesterday evening I went up to Carrickmines to have a look in the outdoor store there(don't know what it's called) and I saw 2 bags which were suitable so I'm just looking for your feedback.
    BERGHAUS Freeflow II 20 Litre
    berghaus-freeflow-ii-20-litre-daysac.jpg

and
    Deuter Speed Lite 20 pack
    deuter_speed_lite_20_rg.jpg
    They're both priced within €10 of each other so price isn't a factor, daymobrew you mention that you have the Berghaus, how do you find it weight wise? It was noticably bulkier/heavier than the Deuter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement