Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange internet problem

Options
  • 27-08-2007 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi ,

Just wondering has anyone ever had this problem, went to install eircom broadband the other day for a neighbour . They have a number of phone points around the house and I installed it upstairs beside the pc .

Got a constant green dsl sync light on the router and we were able to browse the web etc .Everything was fine until we tried making a phone call, it knocked off the broadband, the dsl sync light started flashing and that was the end of it. Once we hung up the call, rebooted the router everything was fine again but as soon as we try making a phone call it cuts out the internet ?

Any ideas welcome
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

you need to use a DSL filter on every socket that has a phone connected to it. This will allow you to use your phone and BB at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

Thanks for the reply . If this splitter has two connections one for Dsl and one for the phone, yes I am already using that if thats what you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

that's the one. but you need one for every socket in the house where a phone is connected.

So even if im not using broadband downstairs I still need to plug in one of these splitters and put the phone line into the line jack and leave the dsl jack empty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

sky box and monitored alarm also require filters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I just got my stuff from eircom on Friday. There was one DSL Filter/splitter, and one DSL filter. There's a number to ring if you need more filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or feed the phone line where it comes in to a splitter and ALL the phone sockets via the Phone port and the ADSL cable via DSL port. You can get splitters inside a faceplate / box for this purpose that use screw terminals rather than connectors.

Works better & more reliable than loads of separate micro-splitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

watty wrote:
    Or feed the phone line where it comes in to a splitter and ALL the phone sockets via the Phone port and the ADSL cable via DSL port. You can get splitters inside a faceplate / box for this purpose that use screw terminals rather than connectors.

Works better & more reliable than loads of separate micro-splitters.

That's the best system. I have my phone lines come into a data cabinet and the phone is wired to a patch panel. Once I put the splitter/filter in it automatically filtered every phone in the house.

Thanks for all the replys Ppl, will try that this evening .

Advertisement