Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toasty Quad

Options
  • 27-08-2007 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I just got my new tuniq and slapped it on, now im getting idle temps of around 41 - 45 degrees.

Load temps are around 60 - 65, is this too high for a tuniq with a Qx6700???

Would it be worth my while re sitting it? any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wow... thats weird, I was coming in here to ask this exact same question, although my situation is a little bit more frustrating. I went through the trouble over the weekend of lapping my QX6700, trying various different methods of applying the TIM, rotating the Tuniq by 90'... etc, and at best I can get is an idle of around 41'c and a load, like you, in the mid 60's.

What should be the max temp I should have this QX6700 at? Also should I just bite the bullet, sell this QX6700 (as I don't think i'll get the use out of the unlocked multiplier) and get a G0 Q6600?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

What are ye using to take the temps?

Coretemp?

Getting similar temps with a Q6600 with a Artic cooler Freezer7 Pro and some artic silver. Nothing fancy or hardcore like lapping the CPU or the base of the cooler.

(high 40's to mid 50's for idle and 65 plus under load)

Assumed that it was the cooler, as it is not exactly the best cooler on the market.

Was considering getting a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

Begining to wonder if it is worth it. Prob would bring down the idle temps a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

If i can get my temps to below 40 on idle and say betwen 50 - 55 on load ill be happy.

I will re orient my tuniq later, and see if it will make any difference having it push air out the top 2 exhaust fans instead of the rear exhaust fan.
    and
    Ill replace the thermalright NB and SB heatsinks with the defauls ones, maybe they are obstructing the air flow somewhere along the line

I hate having my CPU running hot, possibly this is a normal temp for it, but i need to get it lower....

Any body any other ideas to improve temps????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Those kind of temps are to be expected with quad cores tbh. That chip doesn't start to sweat until about 80C, so once the normal load temp doesn't consistantly go above 70C it's all good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hey guys Ive got a q6600 and my idle temps are around 36 degrees. I Barley hit 50 under full load. I am only using an intel HSF but I ordered an Artic freezer this mornin. Seein what you guys are sayin Im a bit confused now whether Id be better off just keepin my current HSF. What you reckon?

• Advertisement

Hey guys Ive got a q6600 and my idle temps are around 36 degrees. I Barley hit 50 under full load. I am only using an intel HSF but I ordered an Artic freezer this mornin. Seein what you guys are sayin Im a bit confused now whether Id be better off just keepin my current HSF. What you reckon?

What program are you using to get your temps?

Using coretemp and uguru. Both showing same temps. I have to say in the last 3 or 4 days the temps have dropped quite a bit. Pc was built about a week ago so everything is beginning to run nicely:)

Using coretemp and uguru. Both showing same temps. I have to say in the last 3 or 4 days the temps have dropped quite a bit. Pc was built about a week ago so everything is beginning to run nicely:)

Sweet.

What revision quad did you get?

Did you manage to get GO revision?

Yep I managed to get a Go. Very lucky as it turned out because If you look for the hv post about the bank transfer problems I would have had my stuff about 3 weeks before I got it and ended up with a B3. So the wait was worth it. Even if it didnt seem like that at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Now im 100% sure i made the right decission to not get a quad core. Maybe changing from a tuniq to a ultra 120 would help the temps for you guys. Or maybe you should consider getting a small watercooling setup just for the cpu. Esp if you have a p180, 2 120mm rads should hopefully do the job.

• Advertisement

Those kind of temps are to be expected with quad cores tbh. That chip doesn't start to sweat until about 80C, so once the normal load temp doesn't consistantly go above 70C it's all good.

Im not so sure man, i had this quad running around similar temps on a zalman 9500, something has to be wrong here, the tuniq should be knocking way more of these temps

Anti wrote:
    Now im 100% sure i made the right decission to not get a quad core. Maybe changing from a tuniq to a ultra 120 would help the temps for you guys. Or maybe you should consider getting a small watercooling setup just for the cpu. Esp if you have a p180, 2 120mm rads should hopefully do the job.

Any links to decent water cooling setup for the CPU?

Never really water cooled before, this could be fun!!!

srdb20 wrote:
    Any links to decent water cooling setup for the CPU?

Never really water cooled before, this could be fun!!!

it could also be disastorous if you get it wrong. I'm thinking I might just deal with these bad temps for the time being and wait for the native quads to hit the scene, or use the E6600 from my HTPC and overclock it in my main rig.

Thing is my system reboots if the CPU gets above 80'c. Also i'm using TAT to monitor the temps.

L31mr0d wrote:
    it could also be disastorous if you get it wrong. I'm thinking I might just deal with these bad temps for the time being and wait for the native quads to hit the scene, or use the E6600 from my HTPC and overclock it in my main rig.

Thing is my system reboots if the CPU gets above 80'c. Also i'm using TAT to monitor the temps.

True the watercooling could turn out to be a complete washout (couldn't resist), i may take a chance and just go for it, but first ill tweak the board a bit and make sure there is no huge F*&k ups wit the airflow.

Also i was just browsing the EVGA website and they have a new release a new bios (P30) some peolpe are reporting lower idle temps after flashing the bios, may be worth a try i will test it and compare when i get home tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Just to chime in and say those temps are normal for my quad Q6600 at 3Ghz and it hovers from 38-58c from idle to load. Quite toasty* CPU's like the others are saying need a good air cooler or consider water cooling though it is rock solid even at the high temps with the air cooler.

* To the point it's like having a heater in the room so much hot air can build up without proper ventilation for the room.

hi 8T8,

If you dont mind me asking, how are you cooling your CPU, water or Air?

You have your CPU overclocked and the temps are still better than mine, man this is pissing me off.

My cpu is at stock currently, as i had to drop my overclock as the temps were getting ridiculous.

8T8 wrote:
    * To the point it's like having a heater in the room so much hot air can build up without proper ventilation for the room.

I do have to crack a window wide open if I start to game for a while on it.

There is a couple of degree difference in temp between my room and the rest of the house, when the pc is at full tilt

I won't be going cold this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

srdb20 wrote:
    hi 8T8,

If you dont mind me asking, how are you cooling your CPU, water or Air?

You have your CPU overclocked and the temps are still better than mine, man this is pissing me off.

My cpu is at stock currently, as i had to drop my overclock as the temps were getting ridiculous.

I'm using air cooling with a Tuniq Tower 120 at full speed to cool it along with an to pull the air out of the case.

ok just did a check there and coretemp is giving me 5'c lower reading on 2 of the cores and nearly 10'c lower readings on the other 2??? it's also giving me a Tjunction of 100'c... which is good news I suppose, which means these chips are good up to 100'c.

So which should I believe? TAT or coretemp? Could someone with a Quad compare their temps between TAT and coretemp?

If you really want to lower the temps on your quad cores i think this:

http://www.xoxide.com/coolit-systems-tec-water-cooling.html

Would be the best idea, not cheap though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I have mine overclocked to 3300MHz 49c using the ultra 120 with two Noctura fans it never goes over 60c under load.

Forget about the Coolit Freezone until they bring out one with with a 120mm fan
    the only real alternative is the Swittech H20 120 Compact.

Ok, ive decided im taking the plunge and going to water cool my rig, willing to spend about 200 - 300 Euro, Would hopefully like to cool the GFX card and CPU, NB & SB would be optional.

Any ideas on what kinda of kits and products i should be looking at?

Where is the best place to buy them?

Would people reccommend just cooling the CPU, with the above linked kits and rely on air cooling for the rest....

All opinions welcome!

PS: Anybody looking for a tuniq 120 ill be selling one in a couple of weeks!!!!

200-300 will not be enough to do cpu,nb,sb and gpu. You will be looking at spending 500 to get a half decent setup.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=27

Are a good source of blocks, and

www.pc-look.com are great for fittings and rads.

Also http://www.xoxide.com/water-cooling.html are worth a mention too. Between them 3 sites you will get a nice setup.

But i think it would be best for you to just WC the cpu for now. Use a dual 120mm rad with good silent fans like 1200 rpm scythe s-flex fans. A decent pump from enehiem. Stay away from liang pumps. And go 1/2" id ( internal tubing diamater ) Anything smaller like 10/8mm will be too restrictive for a quadcore. As you need as much water moving as possible. Also stay away from pre assembled kits, they are crap. However the kits on the first like are good, as you pick and choose what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

http://www.over-clock.com/ are great have all the best parts and have a massive selection.

go for a thermochill rad,swifttech pump (D5),res,swiftech gtx(best block)

to lmrd:use coretemp .94 the other is very glitchy.

Anti wrote:
    If you really want to lower the temps on your quad cores i think this:

http://www.xoxide.com/coolit-systems-tec-water-cooling.html

Would be the best idea, not cheap though...

Any sites that ship to Ireland that stock the above???

Im putting a kit together at the moment and ill post it later along with the prices

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=97177

Suggest you look at this before going for a TEC cooler you need up to 70w to run it and and you have no heatsink to buy you time if the pump stalls your CPU will fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

My quad runs at the same temp..a bit cooler in XP by about 3c.
    In vista which I normally run getting about 42/41/38/39 across the cores and goes to about 65c under load.
    Was getting much higher than this but lapped the cpu which gave me about a 9c drop in temps so well worth it. :D

Alright lads,

ive been reading up on watercooling and here is the setup i have so far, please feel free to throw in any suggestions!

Also, overclockers.co.uk dont have all the items in stock and neither do over-clock.com, id rather not order from two different sites to save on shipping unless i have too...

Also the xoxide.com crowd dont ship international so im snookered there.

But anyway heres my list...:D

Thermochill PA120.3

Swiftech Apogee GTX

DangerDen Maze 4 Nvidia 680i Chipset Block

Danger Den DD12V-D5 Currently out of stock

Swiftech MCRES-Micro Watercooling Resevoir
    Currently out of stock

Tubing and barbs, and of course the water and additives themselves, im not decided on yet.

Any suggestions, so far...:D

use www.pc-look.com then, they have all of that on their site. Thats where i orderd ky last set of watercooling gear from.

• Advertisement

I cant find any of the Danger Den or Swiftech stuff....

Maybe they have stopped stocking the kit or something.

Advertisement