Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts want to KILL my kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Sorry dude. I'm not taking the piss out of anyone's beliefs, each to their own. But this story is fairly poor. The paper which ran the story is the mirror. If there was any real substance or credibility to it, it wouldn't be in such a rag; and if the house had been haunted for the past 12 or so years we'd know by now. It would have been in the papers (before now) and on tv. If the "dvd evidence" was conclusive, it would be international. I, although a sceptic, am open to the possibility that I am wrong on such matters, but I've yet to be convinced. This story strikes me as a tale of someone who is looking to be re-housed, and decided to chance their arm with the council. If it didn't work, she'd get a few quid from the papers. Fair played to her, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mickswizard

She said on Newstalk that if the council don't move them she would have to *gasps* RENT PRIVATELY, because her kids are too important. Watch out DCC, this one is serious.

If she can afford to get herself a rented house she should, and not be taking up, an albeit haunted, house which might be given to someone more in need. Rather than this bint who thinks the state owes her something.

Having said this i'm not completely discrediting what she's saying, because I believe that there is more to the world than meets the eye, but on balance she's probably just a chancer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I got to hear the newstalk report today, I was a little dissapointed with it's lack of depth, they had made it sound like the reporter was going to spend the night there, in reality it seems she went for 5 minutes, asked a few questions and went off again.

It did sound a little off to me, the homeowner seems to believe that there is a vortex in the house which the 'ghosts' use to come to our world, and go back to there own. She described the activity as things like the tv changing channels, finding presses opened up, heating turned on etc. One other event she described was that apparantly the 'ghosts' thought that she could see their vortex so they punched her. The way she was describing it, she seems to believe that the ghosts use their vortex to come through to our side, play around a bit then go back to their own side, and because the vortex is their only way of crossing they are very protective of it.

The reporter also asked her son if he had experienced anything, he told how one night he had heard a voice talking gibberish from his room (I don't think he actually heard it in his room), he knew it was a ghost because he had been told the house is haunted.

I don't dismiss it totally, but it all just sounds wrong to me anyway. I don't know if it's all just being made up, or if maybe the medium involved is having some influence over the family or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stevenmu wrote:
    She described the activity as things like the tv changing channels, finding presses opened up, heating turned on etc.

As I said earlier I have visited a couple of other houses within a short distance of this house and all the above where experienced in each case.

^^ Hardly the most ghostly of activities though man.

• Advertisement

nummnutts wrote:
    ^^ Hardly the most ghostly of activities though man.

What would you expect to find?

The simple things can really have an effect on people. Think about the movie "The 6th Sense" ... the activity in that was all pretty tame stuff but how it was presented was what caused the effect. Even in that film on of the most powerful things was the kitchen scene with open press doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 scoobydoo2

6th wrote:
    From todays Irish Daily Mirror - click thumbnail to view hi-res:

Mirror070807tn.jpg

ok so here are some options:

1: She is genuine.

2: She is making it up to get re-homed

3: She is imagining it or suffers from some sort of mental disorder probably brought on by stress or the loss of her husband.

Personally I would think (having read the article) that she is genuine but that the language being used regarding the situation is making it worse. In situations like this what is going on has as much to do with the people there as it does about the house or its location.

There is fcuk all point in a medium coming in everyday to clear the house if they are using language that will scare people and not actually working on making people more relaxed and centred.

So what should the council be expected to do? Re-house? ... then what? If this house is built on laylines and there is a "vortex" which is a gateway to let ghosts in all the time should the house be knocked down or left vacant?

I live very close to this and just like this house I am at the foot of the mountains with a view of the HellFire Club. There are hundreds of houses around this one and I'm sure some of them would tick the boxes that this medium has mentioned ... why are all of them not in danger? I'll tell you why, its because, like I said, its more about the people than the house. Treat the family not the building.

Who ya gonna call "Ghostbusters"...........

humanji wrote:
    Sounds fairly dodgy, in fairness. She's put up with this for 6 years? Come on, if it was really happening, you'd get the hell out of there. She wants a new home, simple as that.

If she is living in a council house then it is not that easy just to up and move as she would not be relocated and the fact that she is in council accomadition would suggest that she is not that financially secure. Things are not all black and white............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

h8red wrote:
    It says at the very start of the article that it's a Poltergeist:

Poltergeist activity tends to occur around a single person called an agent or a focus. Foci are often, but not limited to, pubescent children. Almost seventy years of research by the Rhine Research Center in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, has led to the hypothesis among parapsychologists that the "poltergeist effect" is a form of psychokinesis generated by a living human mind (that of the agent). According to researchers at the Rhine Center, the "poltergeist effect" is the outward manifestation of psychological trauma.

I'd say the medium in question is a bit of a chancer. If it's a Poltergeist it has nothing to do with "laylines". If it's one of the kids then the fun is gonna follow wherever they move. (That's if you believe in all this sort of thing.) :D
    above is what i was getting at 6th, dont get me wrong i would love it to be real, would be very interesting to try and do an investigation like the one posted on 6th's blog about the activity a good few years ago in the UK.

Ziycon wrote:
    above is what i was getting at 6th, dont get me wrong i would love it to be real, would be very interesting to try and do an investigation like the one posted on 6th's blog about the activity a good few years ago in the UK.

A follow up article on this stated that it was the woman herself who was ommiting some sort of psyhic energy and the "ghost" saw this as a light and were drawn to the light. Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone here?

• Advertisement

You see there is no set language for discussing the paranormal. Even people who claim to know what they are talking about use words and phrases interchangably, contradicting themselves along the way.

This is a woman who should not be expected to be educated on the subject and who may well be having words put in her mouth or just using buzz words she doesn't fully understand.

Coming on here and dismissing her claims simply because she misused words is crazy - especially when alot of these words have no set and defined meaning.

As for why she went to the Mirror (a redtop), I'd say its simply because they are one of the few papers that will print it. She is allowing herself to be used by the media simple to get her story out there.

I've experienced these things so believe its possible, I've also met very genuine people who have so I am willing to give her a degree of benefit of the doubt.

I am looking at making contact and getting access, aswell as a few other bits and pieces.

As for why she went to the Mirror (a redtop), I'd say its simply because they are one of the few papers that will print it. She is allowing herself to be used by the media simple to get her story out there.

Dude, she went to the mirror because they will print any old rubbish to fill a page or two. More reputable papers, i.e the times or independent, wouldn't touch something as outrageous as this. A story like this is pure gold for tabloids.

You think the Indo is reputable? Listen, I deal with almost 70 newspapers around Ireland and I know this type of thing will get the best response in the tabloids. She's out to make as much noise as possible so they will move her ... that doesnt mean that what she is experiencing isnt genuine.

Ok. So we'll agree to disagree then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Whatever happened here? 6th, did you make contact with the woman, was she moved?

She didnt return any of my corrospondence but I heard that she moved or was moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

And no complaints from the new tenants?

Nothings been said that I know of anyway. Its a big estate and the address was never made public so the new tenents (if the house is in use) may not know about what happened and may not be experiencing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

6th wrote: »
    From todays Irish Daily Mirror.. Personally I would think (having read the article) that she is genuine but that the language being used regarding the situation is making it worse.

Whatever about prudently taking on board info reported in a broadsheet newspaper, the only use I would find for a tabloid such as that newspaper you mentioned (will I be taken to court for b1tching about that news rag here?!), is for the underside of my cat's litter tray. I never but tabloids, I certainly never read tabloids, and I think they're a stain on the striving for high quality journalism. It's a shame that those sort of ghost stories only ever appear in intellectually septic sh1te like tabloids. Those stories are tricky enough to believe anyway, least of all appearing in The Irish Daily Mirror or otherwise.

For the record, I think that that woman's story is an amalgamation of a minor, unexplainable happening later exaggerated by her realising the potential earnings in it, and a desire to live in a nicer pile of bricks. If it was such a grievance (like she purports it to be), then why the hell would her first port of call for 'solace' be an Irish tabloid reporter?? Uh, €€€€????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

After I die I'm going to come back in spirit form and .... Open drawers yeah it's going to be so cool, I'm going to find the house with the most drawers and I'm going to hang around there and every so often I'm going to .... open a drawer yeah it's going to be so cool, decades of fun , opening drawers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement