Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldinho to Chelsea?

• 27-08-2007 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

This is a story which has appeared across this morning's papers. Apparently Roman Abramovich has held two meetings with Ronaldinho's agent, flying him into London.
    Chelsea are reportedly trying to lure brilliant Brazilian Ronaldinho to Stamford Bridge.

According to the Daily Mail, Roman Abramovich has held two meetings with Ronaldinho's brother and adviser, the second in London this weekend, in the hope of bringing the Barcelona superstar to London.

The daily paper trumpets: 'In the most audacious transfer business of his Chelsea tenure, the Russian billionaire spent the weekend entertaining Roberto de Assis Moreira, flying him in on his private jet and putting him up at the exclusive Lanesborough Hotel in Mayfair.'

With money no object, Abramovich is reputedly prepared to make Ronaldinho the highest-paid player in football and smash the world's transfer record.

An £85million buyout clause is included in Ronaldinho's contract at Barcelona, but the Mail claims 'Abramovich is desperate to see his Chelsea side play with more flair and adventure, not least after seeing them stutter to a 1-0 win against Portsmouth on Saturday, and would consider it money well spent for the 27-year-old, who has twice been named World Player of the Year.'

It would be strange, looking at Chelsea's spending policy so far this summer. Of course, it could be a load of bull as well, some suggestions that it could be a way for Ronaldinho to boost his wages at Barca.

Anyone think there could be anything to this?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/08/27/manual_075055.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Where Russian Mafia are concerned, anything is possible I guess. Would love to see him in the Premiership but notion this seems far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It seems Abramovic and Mourinho are on different wavelenghts, in the way football is played at Chelsea. Mourinho knows that grinding out results wins Championships and thus he is a great manager. But Abramovic, who is a complete joke of a man, wants to see Chelsea win 7-0 every weekend and win every cup there is to win.

I still to this day dont know why Abramovic didnt just buy Football Manager 2007, i mean he's probably got a very good PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Is it just me or does anyone else think there is something up with Ronaldinho thats not right? I mean you take an average player who sits down and negotiates a new deal. Usually the deal comes up for re-negoation 2 seaons before its end, to stop the whole final season bosman madness.

Ronaldinho on the other hand seems to be negotiating a wage increase every 6 months. For someone who has been at their for 4 years and had 6 wage negotiations something doesn't seem right to me about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

JM was adamant after signing Belletti that the spending was over for this window. I thought it was a strange interview at the time. Now I wonder did he know this was going on.

You would've thought the Shevchenko deal woulda taught Roman a thing or 2.
    I know Ronaldinho is only 27 but, dare I say it, has he already peaked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not overly sure if he'd be suited to the Pl to be honest.

Be interesting to see though. But for £85million and probably around £200k a week (over £10million a year), would he really be worth that?!

Not overly sure if he'd be suited to the Pl to be honest.

Be interesting to see though. But for £85million and probably around £200k a week (over £10million a year), would he really be worth that?!
    Quite frankly, no. His signature guarantees nothing by way of winning silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I doubt even the impact of Ronaldinho on the pitch combined with the merchandise sales would justify spending that much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

would be amazed if this happened. for the money they would be spending they'd wanna be sure he'd be a success in the PL and thats not for sure as seen with Shevchenko. Abramovich needs his head tested if he is even considering this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    Mourinho knows that grinding out results wins Championships and thus he is a great manager. But Abramovic, who is a complete joke of a man, wants to see Chelsea win 7-0 every weekend and win every cup there is to win.
    A joke of a man ,hardly.
    If I spent hundreds of millions of pounds on a football club I'd expect them to play some sort of attractive football and not be a bore.
    Over a whole season it is necessary to grind out some results but Chelsea are built to grind out a victory in the majority of their matches.
    The brand of football they play is not attractive,they are a rich mans Wimbledon.
    Its as if Mourinho is afraid to play attacking open football .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Ambrovomich wants to see Chelsea play like the United or Arsenals. Imagine how good a team Wenger would have put together for that kinda of money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well you cant justify it in footballing terms, as in no club can make the money back needed to buy him.

but its abramovich, is he worth 8 billion, so to him, he would see it as justified if he makes his team play better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    It seems Abramovic and Mourinho are on different wavelenghts, in the way football is played at Chelsea. Mourinho knows that grinding out results wins Championships and thus he is a great manager. But Abramovic, who is a complete joke of a man, wants to see Chelsea win 7-0 every weekend and win every cup there is to win.

I still to this day dont know why Abramovic didnt just buy Football Manager 2007, i mean he's probably got a very good PC.
    LOL

Jesus I hope they don't get him :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wheres would he play though ? It would be one superstar too many I reckon.

I'd say he'd play on the left wing of a 4-3-3, with Malouda/Cole on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If I was anyone but Chelsea, I would be delighted at the prospect of Chelsea blowing £85 million on Ronaldinho. His form last year was indifferent, a couple of good goals but failed to live up to his reputation during the big games. Also, there were pictures of him doing the rounds of him with a bit of a belly, didn't look like he had the physical fitness he did during his wonderful Champions League win season. I could see him warming the bench as Mourinho doesn't fancy him.

Wait, is this the same Ronaldinho who in 32 league games got 21 goals and 8 assists last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    Wait, is this the same Ronaldinho who in 32 league games got 21 goals and 8 assists last season?

yeah, on probably his worst year at Barca.

Id hate to see them get him, then i'd just end up disliking him. Same as im sure will happen with Tevez over time. Damn rivals, makin me change my opinions :mad: I try to still like these guys and appreciate their performances, but its just so hard - always get ground down in the end.

I hear tell Ronniedinho's back to fitness again so hopefully we can see the cocky smiley version rather then last years downcast sad looking one.

Also really curious to see how Barca's plan of having 4 of the best attackers in the world playing together works out.

Advertisement