Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixie

• 27-08-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

so I saw a couple of fixies while waiting for the Tour of Ireland to finish yesterday. Now I think I want one. Rather than build my own (could take me forever) I'd prefer to buy a new one. Can anyone recommend any good models?

So far I'm aware of a Kona Paddy Wagon, Specialized Langster and Bianchi (Pista Steel and D2 Pista)

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

On one il pompino - new black version available now
    fuji track - the cheap one
    Charge Plug -
    Pearson Touche
    Terry Dolan

If you ask a shop to build one for you from a frame, your options open up a bit more:

Surly Steamroller
    Fixie inc Peacemaker
    EAI bareknuckle

All of these listed are steel with exception of the pearson touche and terry dolan.

There's a few more out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

How much are you willing to spend?
    A custom build up would be the most expensive option
    If you have an old road bike you could always convert it to fixed...all you need in theory is a rear wheel...if your not great with DIY projects you could bring it into a shop to ask them about spacing/rollout etc
    It can be tricky getting correct chain tension with certain dropouts..
    But there are plenty of sites offering the info you need...google is your friend!
    Also try the buy and sell etc occasionally they pop up second hand.
    I've had a dolan for afew years now and it's probably my favourite bike...

Oh and for the love of god keep the front brake;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I recall Penny Farthing on Camden Street saying to me that they had a street fix ready to roll for 700 bones.

I just recently built one for myself and I'm totally gone on it. It's a beast. A totally new experience. Go for it! If you dig up my last thread it may be of some use to you.. but probably wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I reckon I'll spend about 7 or 800. Mainly I just want something simple for the commute/winter so I can save my normal road bike from some wear and tear

King Raam wrote:
    I reckon I'll spend about 7 or 800. Mainly I just want something simple for the commute/winter so I can save my normal road bike from some wear and tear

I see you got a Genesis Flyer fixie. I'd forgotten about that one, very nice.

How is it? It has steel frame right?

• Advertisement

yeah steel frame. It's well sweet, I'm happy with it. I felt like I was learning to cycle again when I got on it. All of a sudden, stopping and starting isn't so simple!

Ah but it's even simpler..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Fixed wheel the only way to go. When I lived in Dublin I had a 50 notes frame one front brake 70 inch ratio ie 16x42 I used an old mailard hub, the result was sweet. You are really in touch with cycling, just don't forget you're on fixed its not for everyone.

Good luck.

fish-head wrote:
    Ah but it's even simpler..

I can only hope that it gets easier. So far I've only been on it for about an hour. I haven't cycled it since Friday as I am away on business at the moment. I never realised how many times I freewheel on my regular bike. One things for sure, you don't make the mistake of trying to freewheel on your fixie too many times!

Any tips that you guys can think of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

how much you spend in the end? I've always fancied a fixie (6+ years now!), but have never had the cash. Same still applies of course.

My winter bike has a crack in the bottom bracket area of the hub, the rest of the bike is servicable though. Most of it could be thrown on a new frame

• Advertisement

less than 7, but more than 6 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

from whom?

I'd be curious to price it up when I have the pedals, front wheel, brakes, levers, saddle to throw in the mix.

Would I get mudguards on it?

King Raam wrote:
    Any tips that you guys can think of?

All you can do is ride really. Just keep at it and it will all come together.

This is a good article on the intricacies of riding fixed. I found it helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Anyone have any idea where I could get a first hand bianchi pista in england/irealnd?

my one seems a bit rattley in the drive train since I turned the hub around to the fixed wheel. I presume that I haven't got something quite right in my set up. Is it difficult to position the hub exactly right/tension the chain correctly?

Franky Boy wrote:
    Anyone have any idea where I could get a first hand bianchi pista in england/irealnd?

Try evans cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Itsfixed wrote:

I would have ordered from them but they're out of stock in my size and are only ordering the 2008 bikes now.Found an american site that will deliver thanks though!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AW Cycles in the UK (www.awcycles.co.uk) also have a big Bianchi stock. Seen the Pista there before.

just had my first real windy morning on it. I'm shattered now. My legs were burning by the time I got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

How long is your commute?
    King Raam wrote:
    just had my first real windy morning on it. I'm shattered now. My legs were burning by the time I got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

In case anyone is interested, Cycling Solutions in Rathmines will be getting some Giant Bowerys in in the next 10 days or so.... seem a good deal at 525 retail, will be looking at em closely myself...

In case anyone is interested, Cycling Solutions in Rathmines will be getting some Giant Bowerys in in the next 10 days or so.... seem a good deal at 525 retail, will be looking at em closely myself...

Yes, just checked it out, its basic compared to a spez langster or a Bianchi pista. Similar to a Fuji track in spec and probably wouldn't be the lightest, but it looks mean.

How long is your commute?

10km in
    13km out (I go the long way home)

Looks nice. I notice the picture doesn't show any brakes but according to the specs it has a flip-flop hub so if you're using the freewheel, you'd need both front and rear brakes.

Then again, according to the specs, it does have at least one brake, so maybe it's just the picture...

Itsfixed wrote:
    Yes, just checked it out, its basic compared to a spez langster or a Bianchi pista. Similar to a Fuji track in spec and probably wouldn't be the lightest, but it looks mean.

Is it a hilly trip? What's your gearing?

I ask because I have a singlespeed/fixie but so far I've only used the singlespeed side of the hub. I live in Phibsboro, which is at the top of a fairly sizeable hill (by Dublin's standards), so I'm a touch nervous about cycling it fixed on the descent. The gearing is 42/16.
    King Raam wrote:
    10km in
    13km out (I go the long way home)

I ask because I have a singlespeed/fixie but so far I've only used the singlespeed side of the hub. I live in Phibsboro, which is at the top of a fairly sizeable hill (by Dublin's standards), so I'm a touch nervous about cycling it fixed on the descent. The gearing is 42/16.

there are a couple of small hills depending on route variation, but for the most part it is totally flat. The only problem is the wind :) It's quite a change from my regular road bike which never left me panting no matter how strong the wind.

I think my gearing is 48/16

Dublin city centre has a couple of wide, windy streets. One route I always try to avoid is Fitzwilliam Street in the Baggot to Leeson direction. It's a wind tunnel.
    King Raam wrote:
    there are a couple of small hills depending on route variation, but for the most part it is totally flat. The only problem is the wind :) It's quite a change from my regular road bike which never left me panting no matter how strong the wind.

I think my gearing is 48/16

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

King Raam wrote:
    ...It's quite a change from my regular road bike which never left me panting no matter how strong the wind.
    That's what I love about riding fixed: the bike kind of drives, you rather than the other way around. The HR monitor shows a fairly flat but high heart-rate curve (about 80-85%), whereas with gears, it's peakier.
    (commute 20km each way 30/12 gearing -- too low, set up for a hillier commute)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I got a fixie last week (Specialized Langster) and out of habit i decided to go over Howth hill did i get a surprise on the descent :eek: i had to put my feet on the forks half way down the hill

• Advertisement

peterk19 wrote:
    I got a fixie last week (Specialized Langster) and out of habit i decided to go over Howth hill did i get a surprise on the descent :eek: i had to put my feet on the forks half way down the hill

you mean you managed to get up in the first place?!
    Why did you have to put your feet on the forks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

King Raam wrote:
    you mean you managed to get up in the first place?!
    Why did you have to put your feet on the forks?

aye got up without too much problem i cycle it a few times a week on my road bike, had to put my feet on the forks cause they couldn't keep up with the pedals going downhill

peterk19 wrote:
    aye got up without too much problem i cycle it a few times a week on my road bike, had to put my feet on the forks cause they couldn't keep up with the pedals going downhill

I only live around the corner from Howth and cycle it all the time. I will have to test this out on my fixie now.

peterk19 wrote:

Yes, I tried this once but found it hard to keep my feet up as the forks are of the sloping type. It felt a lot less stable so I'm not doing it again.

REgards descending on a fixie, its not that bad as long as you moderate your speed using the front brake ( assuming you have one!)

I run a 42 x17 around town but thinking of going back to 41 x 16 or 42 x 16, as descending on the occasional hill or slope sometimes spins my legs out too much in my current gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Itsfixed wrote:
    Yes, I tried this once but found it hard to keep my feet up as the forks are of the sloping type. It felt a lot less stable so I'm not doing it again.

In ye olde days, riders had pegs on their forks to rest their feet on during those fast descents:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I didn't resurrect this. Honest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Spammer post deleted;)

I still have my one. I haven't used it in two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Morgan wrote: »
    In ye olde days, riders had pegs on their forks to rest their feet on during those fast descents:

No idea what going on with the zombie thread but that is one of the best pic's I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Raam wrote: »
    I still have my one. I haven't used it in two years.

What size, how much and pics? ;)

What size, how much and pics? ;)

Ah but she's a keeper. Not selling it :)

• Advertisement

D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

She's vicious too... those scars on my hand took ages to heal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Could I make a small request seeing as this thread has been dug out of the doldrums, instead of "fixie" could we all use the proper name for this type of bike, fixed geared bike or even just fixed geared would do, the term "fixie" makes me feel ill, it's what all the scummers call them.

That is all:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Morgan wrote: »
    LOL! Some serious posing going on in that pic. Must remember to climb into my three piece suit incl. tie before my next spin! That said, those dudes are (were) probably the real deal. Tyres look surprisingly skinny - wonder if they were solid :eek:

Holyboy wrote: »
    Could I make a small request seeing as this thread has been dug out of the doldrums, instead of "fixie" could we all use the proper name for this type of bike, fixed geared bike or even just fixed geared would do, the term "fixie" makes me feel ill, it's what all the scummers call them.

That is all:p

I recall hearing some old boys from Dublin Wheelers calling them "Fixers" at some stage - will that do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I recall hearing some old boys from Dublin Wheelers calling them "Fixers" at some stage - will that do?

Yes, I would except that at a stretch but I don't much like it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I was very upset when I noticed that mapmyride had 'fixie' as a ride option. :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Holyboy wrote: »
    the term "fixie" makes me feel ill, it's what all the scummers call them.
    Scummers call chips 'chips' - will we call them 'french-fried potatoes'?
    I ride a fixie, I ain't changing.

rp wrote: »
    Scummers call chips 'chips' - will we call them 'french-fried potatoes'?
    I ride a fixie, I ain't changing.

For the non-scummers, this would translate as "I am not changing." :p

uberwolf wrote: »
    from whom?

I'd be curious to price it up when I have the pedals, front wheel, brakes, levers, saddle to throw in the mix.

Would I get mudguards on it?

I just realised that I never actually answered this post.
    I got it from one of the mechanics in Cyclelogical. I never put mudguards on it, but it would take my Race Blades. I'm not even sure if it's drilled for proper ones. I'll check later.

Uberwolf: I hope that you have not been hanging on for a response for the last four years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement