Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help..

Options
  • 27-08-2007 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I have recently got a top up on my mortgage From PTSB. I closed my old mortgage and got new one. All ok so far or so i thaught. I just got a bank statment and i have just found out that i have been paying two mortgages for july and AUG. I rang PTSB and they say that the solicitor never closed the old account. Got on to the solicitor and he say that he sent the cheque by DX ( a secure system that no one has to sign for!!!!!!!!), and that he'll cancel the old cheque and reissue an new one. Due to intrest over the last two months i am down €1200. Now the solicitor is saying that i have to accept this loss as its not his fault or DXs fault and not the banks fault?????
    Any Advice on what i can do

Comments

Back when I worked in a solicitors office, DX was just their way of avoiding an post charges by delivering the documents themselves. All the local solicitors have a dx number.

As you could imagine they would clock up alot of postal charges due to the sheer volume of stuff they send.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

get your solicitor to put a bit of pressure on TSB and they should wave it, if you tell them that you sent the check in but they did nothing with it, they will have to assume that someone in their accounts department f**ked up and let it go, at least thats what generally happens where I work.... chances are the check actually did get there. It will probably take weeks to resolve and possibly go to the ombudsman but I'd be fairly certain that you'd get off paying the extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

This would have to be the duty of the solicitor so he dropped the ball, you paid him to do his job, he hasn't. I would put pressure on him to sort it out, not your fault so shouldn't be your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Thanks for the responses rang the bank yesterday to see if they got the new cheque. they now say that they'll give me back the extra payments sound like the old cheque was there all along.

Advertisement