Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contrating on the Aussie WHV

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

With the working holiday visa in Australia I am currently on I can only work six months in any given place. I'm currently contracting with a recruitment agency. I've contracted out to the the one firm since i started. my question is, can i remain with the same agency (who are after all my employers) after six months if i move to a different firm. More importantly, if i change recruitment agency, can i remain in my current location? My boss in the firm would be willing to arrange something like that if possible as he wasn't to keep me on but unfortunately can't sponser me. I for my part like my job and want to stay there for the remainder of my time in melboune if possible. I don't want to explore other visa options becasue I will not be staying in melbourne for another six months and plan to head on travelling when my year is up. Oh, to head of possible criticism, I of course want to point out that I don't want to end up breaking any aussie laws.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

My boss in the firm would be willing to arrange something like that if possible as he wasn't to keep me on but unfortunately can't sponser me.

Cheers

Not an expert on these matters but if you were to be sponsored it wouldn't be your boss that would do it, it would be through your agency. Since you are employed through an agency, as far as I am aware if you change agency that means your 6 months gets reset.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Hi, that confirms what i've heard off others. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

That's not actually correct.

The 6 months restriction is based on location. You can stay with the same agency but you have to change the actual job. Likewise if you change agency you can't stay in the same job because you'd still be working in the same location.

Here's the link http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm it's about halfway down the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That's not actually correct.

The 6 months restriction is based on location. You can stay with the same agency but you have to change the actual job. Likewise if you change agency you can't stay in the same job because you'd still be working in the same location.

Here's the link http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm it's about halfway down the page.

I think your right there
    Important: If you applied for your Working Holiday visa before 1 July 2006, you may work for up to six months with each employer. Your visa will have a condition limiting work with each employer to three months. However, all visa holders have been granted permission to work for up to six months with each employer.

The 'employer' is the business for which you are working directly.

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months. For the purpose of the six month limitation, the 'employer' is considered to be the business for which you are working directly, even if you are being paid by an agency or labour supplier.

Advertisement