Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EDGE with O2

• 27-08-2007 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does O2 Ireland provide EDGE or not? Wasn't there a talk that they are rolling out EDGE? I'm not talking about HSDPA.

Just asking because my HTC Touch (Elf) is EDGE compatible, I'm on O2 bill pay but have no signs of EDGE, only GPRS working...

I found this "O2 Ireland Launches 3.6Mps HSDPA Broadband Service - O2 is also already advanced in rolling out an EDGE network nationwide meaning that if an O2 Broadband customer cannot access the HSDPA network, through the EDGE network they will still be able to benefit from speeds much faster than dial up broadband."

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/July2007/4894.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I can confirm EDGE is here and working on my O2 Atom.

It really depends on where you live. In and around Dublin, it's pretty much everywhere (though mysteriously absent in Connolly station). I was in Kilkenny/Laois area last week and there was only a GPRS signal.

I'm on O2 pre-pay, so I don't use it much, I'm planning on signing up for the broadband soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

got an edge connection on o2 alright over the weekend in Dublin when sending text's via AFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

THX for the feedback.
    nothing here in limerick. but will be on friday night in dublin as i fly to germany on saturday morning. so i will play, test and see then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Was looking into EDGE for work purposes down in Cork and was told by 02 that it's only available in Dublin at the moment but will be rolled out in the rest of the country over the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

rebellad wrote:
    Was looking into EDGE for work purposes down in Cork
    :D :eek:
    So, is it working here? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got Edge down in Mayo at the weekend so it's definitly outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

Got EDGE on O2 here in Meath too.
    (Evidence: SE K550 'E' Icon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

I get EDGE on my Blackberry down in West Cork :), i was wondering what it was all about :) I unusually have GPRS

niallb wrote:
    Got EDGE on O2 here in Meath too.
    (Evidence: SE K550 'E' Icon)

Yeah, I've got it as far out as Enfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Is EDGE data transfer charged the same as GPRS data transfer? Is EDGE close to broadband speeds?

• Advertisement

robbie1876 wrote:
    Is EDGE data transfer charged the same as GPRS data transfer? Is EDGE close to broadband speeds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

I have understood that O2 is modernising and upgrading its entire network. Over the cause of the year they are swapping out all their base stations and switches with brand new Ericsson equipment. EDGE is available on the new Ericsson 2G base stations, not on the old base stations. So you'll have EDGE as soon as they have swapped out the site in your area.

Advertisement