Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog hip scored

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Does anybody know the procedure in Ireland for getting a dog hip scored.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I know that they do hip scoring in the vet college, not sure if gp vets do it but you could always ask, I don't see why they wouldn't. Most guide dogs will be scored as pups, as are German Shepherds as they are very prone to hip dysplasia.

If you are buying a dog and the ad or the owners say it's been hip scored, be sure to ask for the result of the score and make sure the dog's in good condition!

The procedure itself involves taking an x-ray of the hips. The hind limbs should be parallel. To assess the state of the hips you draw a straight line between the heads of the femurs. Then from the centre of the head of 1 femur you draw another line which should pass by the front edge of the acetabulum of the pelvis...this is the hole into which the head of the femur fits. The angle formed by these 2 lines should be not less than 105 degrees, this is called Norberg's index and is 1 possible way of scoring hips. Kinda confusing I know without a diagram, but this link is interesting http://www.labbies.com/dysp2.htm
    The x-ray looks like this anyways
    xray%20005.jpg

Advertisement