Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Eircom

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering, am I the only one thats getting such bad speeds with eircom?

I'm paying for a 2meg connection at the moment which is supposed to be 2meg down, 256k up. I've checked everything and it doesn't seem to be my network.

Nobody using the wireless either as I have it turned off. Heres the speed test results!
    >

177251615.png

Just wondering does anyone have the 6meg line with NTL? - If so what do you think of it and is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What are your modem/line stats (sync speed, SNR, Attenuation)?
    http://192.168.1.254 then on the left menu click Troubleshooting-->Statistics-->DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

kaizersoze wrote:
    What are your modem/line stats (sync speed, SNR, Attenuation)?
    http://192.168.1.254 then on the left menu click Troubleshooting-->Statistics-->DSL.

I'm at work at the moment but I will check them as soon as I get home. ;)

Just something to add to the above....
    I'm living in the middle of Templebar if that would have anything to do with it.
    Also, if I turn the wireless on (EVEN if I'm not using it) , there is a serious drop in connection speed & quality - I always use MAC address filtering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You could just have a bad wiring segment from the Eircom pole to your house. That sometimes can result in poor connections. Anyone else in your area that you can compare with?

rrpc wrote:
    You could just have a bad wiring segment from the Eircom pole to your house. That sometimes can result in poor connections. Anyone else in your area that you can compare with?

No everyone else in the building seems to be on NTL.

I have been thinking of switching it to NTL (the 6MB connection tat they have advertised) but I'm not sure. My connection gets alot of heavy use - Torrents, Usenet, Videostreaming.

I at least need something that is going to work right with ustream... Last night there was a serious lag (my connection speed was as mentioned above in the speed test).

I know its not possible to recieve 100% all of the time but I can't see any reason that I have to get such a bad connection.

The other thing is, I've been paying for a 2meg connection since I got it in 6months ago. What do I do?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Were you downloading anything else when you took your speed readings?

What speeds are you syncing at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

yesterday i have noticed that the speed on my EIRCOM DSL line (2MB downstream) was according tot he router changing between 400something and 600something. normally it should be around 2000something. will check this tonight again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

yesterday i have noticed that the speed on my EIRCOM DSL line (2MB downstream) was according tot he router changing between 400something and 600something. normally it should be around 2000something. will check this tonight again
    A week ago my router was acting up and it said I was on some mysterious 160kbps package even though i'm on the 2mb one. All I had to do was reset it and it was back to the 2048down/256up package.

rc28 wrote:
    A week ago my router was acting up and it said I was on some mysterious 160kbps package even though i'm on the 2mb one. All I had to do was reset it and it was back to the 2048down/256up package.

What do you get when you run a speed test here:
    http://www.speedtest.net/

Can you do a speed test and then copy and paste the HTML code with the result in here?

To all the other guys above : I know I have yet yo post more info and I will do so at about 6pm when I get home and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

before the reset
    177578173.png

after the hard reset
    177580506.png

router says now
    Speed 832/256 (kbps) (before 672/256) but I'm on the 2048 package...

before the reset
    177578173.png

after the hard reset
    177580506.png

router says now
    Speed 832/256 (kbps) (before 672/256) but I'm on the 2048 package...

Mine was similar last night, have not used it or tested it yet today but I will when I get home. Its a joke!

I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

iRock wrote:
    What do you get when you run a speed test here:
    http://www.speedtest.net/

Can you do a speed test and then copy and paste the HTML code with the result in here?
    Here you go;
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/164418972.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]164418972.png
    I did this test a couple of weeks ago when I noticed my broadband was pretty fast that day, my ping times were also much improved.

Here is today, pretty much in line with the above;
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/177620802.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]177620802.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Sometimes routers lock up for no apparent reason and you get a bad or no connection. It's always a good idea to reboot it every so often.

Sometimes there's good news, like your line improves and you can get a better package :D

Sorry about the delay in reply guys, had a little emergency.

Anyway, this is what my router is saying when I go to "Troubleshot" then "DSL"

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 17.00 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 10.50 2.00
    CRC Errors 3 1

Here's how its looking at the moment....

177738516.png

Any help on this would really be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

iRock wrote:
    Sorry about the delay in reply guys, had a little emergency.

Anyway, this is what my router is saying when I go to "Troubleshot" then "DSL"

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Fast

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 17.00 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 10.50 2.00
    CRC Errors 3 1

Here's how its looking at the moment....

177738516.png

Put those numbers into http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx and it should tell you what download speed your line is capable off.

and it should tell you what download speed your line is capable off.

I got We estimate that if using a rate adaptive up to 8Mbps service your maximum line speed will be:3971Kbps

If you are on a Max product, that uses the IP Profile system (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) if you maintain the above line speed for 3 days or more your IP Profile would be set to: 3Mbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of:24294Kbps
    With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around:21499Kbps

I cant see how my line could be bad either though. I live right next to Central bank!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that explains everything really , the security system in the central bank runs on a frequency that interferes with dsl, tell them to turn it off :p

Sponge Bob wrote:
    that explains everything really , the security system in the central bank runs on a frequency that interferes with dsl, tell them to turn it off :p

LoL!

Im hoping your not serious! :D

Your line stats are excellent as they should be as you are beside Crown Alley exchange. Have you anything else plugged into your phone lines? Any chance of trying another router?

Have your speeds always been slow?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Your line stats are excellent as they should be as you are beside Crown Alley exchange. Have you anything else plugged into your phone lines? Any chance of trying another router?

Have your speeds always been slow?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Yup its the crown Alley exchange .... you live in Templebar?

No, they have not always been bad, only in the past few weeks. Im going out of my mind. I just don't understand it. Its very frustrating.

I work as a Junior Network administrator so as you can imagine I have checked all the usual things and there is no reason that I can see (internally - which is all I know about) that I should be getting such a bad speed.

Oh yeah, I was thinking of getting a linksys router .... I just needed an excuse. I might pick one up on adverts, I see one over there.

Think this would be worthwhile doing?

iRock wrote:
    Oh yeah, I was thinking of getting a linksys router .... I just needed an excuse. I might pick one up on adverts, I see one over there.

Think this would be worthwhile doing?

I would try and borrow one rather than buy one just for a test.

Have you asked Eircom to check your line for you?

The usual response that I get from them is that there is something wrong with my browser... after they spend time trying to troubleshoot a Mac LOL

They just don't listen, I'm thinking of moving to NTL at this stage, Im going insane!

iRock wrote:
    The usual response that I get from them is that there is something wrong with my browser... after they spend time trying to troubleshoot a Mac LOL

They just don't listen, I'm thinking of moving to NTL at this stage, Im going insane!

Have you tried using another browser?

NTL has not exactly been wonderful for people's sanity lately.

Are you sure that you have your wireless turned off?

In fairness to Eircom it appears that your line stats are excellent and that you are syncing at the right speed so it is hard to see where they may be contributing to your problems.

When and if you do get your line problems sorted out Smart are in Crown Alley and might be a worthwhile consideration although the transfer can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

dub45 wrote:

Are you sure that you have your wireless turned off?

Very good point. Something I found out the hard way was when I didn't realise I had my wireless on while also using a wired connection to my router. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the connection speeds sucked so badly.

To be fair it does sound like a problem with the computer's connection rather than the line speeds if the router is reporting that everything seems fine.

There are no problems with the browser, I have tried several. I also tried another computer last night and the same thing again.

I tried plugging it into a different part of the router.... still the same.

NO, my wireless is not on and if I had it on I would be using MAC address filtering. Even if I turn my wireless on and use MAC address filtering the quality drops even more (but I haven't had that on in weeks).

I have all new ethernet cables. - I've also tried others.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with my network card.

Can anyone tell me what the ping "should" be?

Any more suggestions guys? Really want to get this sorted! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

any time of day pattern ???

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    any time of day pattern ???

Nope... No pattern.

Its bad every minute of the day :confused:

Advertisement