Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Eircom

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

should not be with those stats, ask eircom to reset the dsl connection in the exchange and if that does not do it borrow another modem and see if that fixes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

I would definitely try another router. The fact that your speeds drop even further when you turn wireless on would make me suspicious of the router. How many other connections are there to the router at the mo?

Beg, borrow or steal another router and check it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Clash wrote:
    I would definitely try another router. The fact that your speeds drop even further when you turn wireless on would make me suspicious of the router. How many other connections are there to the router at the mo?

Beg, borrow or steal another router and check it again.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Ok, well I have 2 other connections in that router.

1. Xbox 360 never turned on
    2. My girlfriends PC, used for World of Warcraft

I will try another router and let you know what happens (sometime in the next week or so) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Just to let you know: i'm back on full speed just by replacing the ADSL filters on the phone sockets...

Just to let you know: i'm back on full speed just by replacing the ADSL filters on the phone sockets...

Are you serious?

I think I'll give that a go too!

• Advertisement

So there should be no slow down on internet when I turn on the wireless?

When the wireless is turned on the Ping is dramatically increased and the internet is slower (even on the PC & Mac that use the wired connection).

Then I thought that it may have something to do with all the wireless connections in my area.... I live in Templebar - I can easily pull up a list of 25-40connections anytime! (some unprotected ;) )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iRock wrote:
    So there should be no slow down on internet when I turn on the wireless?

When the wireless is turned on the Ping is dramatically increased and the internet is slower (even on the PC & Mac that use the wired connection).

Then I thought that it may have something to do with all the wireless connections in my area.... I live in Templebar - I can easily pull up a list of 25-40connections anytime! (some unprotected ;) )

Have you tried changing your wireless frequency? Download netstumbler and it will show you all the wireless networks in your area and their channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Don't be under the illusion that mac address filtering on it's own is secure, it's not.
    Also, the modem itself doesn't need any filter. You only need to use the double filter if you want to plug a phone into the same socket.
    Before you go buying new filters, disconnect the ones you have first to see if it makes any difference.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Don't be under the illusion that mac address filtering on it's own is secure, it's not.
    Also, the modem itself doesn't need any filter. You only need to use the double filter if you want to plug a phone into the same socket.
    Before you go buying new filters, disconnect the ones you have first to see if it makes any difference.

Will try this when I get home. I'll disconnect the filters to see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I've been collecting the filters from every modem i got. so i have plenty. PM my by thursday evening and i can send you one or two at friday from the office. going to holiday on sat for two weeks...

• Advertisement

I've been collecting the filters from every modem i got. so i have plenty. PM my by thursday evening and i can send you one or two at friday from the office. going to holiday on sat for two weeks...

Thanks! - That'd be great.
    Im at home but still waiting to check it.... (Girlfriend on World of Warcraft) :(

Results without the filter:

178959099.png

So I don't think thats what it is.
    I give up!

iRock wrote:
    Results without the filter:

178959099.png

So I don't think thats what it is.
    I give up!

Don't give up yet! Your line stats tell us you should be gettng the full whack, but your speed tests show otherwise. It looks like something is chugging your bandwidth and since your wireless is off, the only other possibility is the router.

For the sake of trying everything you should also pull all other connections from the router except your PC, reboot the router and check again. After that I'd strongly suggest trying another router; even borrow one from a friend. There have to be lots of people out there with spares. I have about six here, but I'm too far away to be of any use.

Have you tried at any stage to do a complete reset of the router - button at the back..........

Clash and dub45, yes I have tried both reseting and removing all the other connection.

Next step --> Borrow a router!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Veering off topic here, sorry, but I'm in the process of changing from Eircom Talk Time to UTV Clicksilver and UTV Talk. In the 10 working day period of the change-over, my line has developed a mysterious fault, which Eircom tell me will take the standard (!!) FOUR WORKING DAYS to fix.

To me this is an enormous coincidence. Eircom agent told me over the phone today that an earth was detected on my line.

Has anybody else had experience of such terribly bad luck just as they were moving their business from Eircom ....???

Thanks.
    /M.

Eircom -> "Did you run a virus scan?"

Firstly: WTF!

Secondly: Its a Mac!

There has to be lots of lads on here with spare routers. Practically everyone I know has one. Eircom used to send them out like christmas cards at one stage. A neighbour of mine got two when he ordered broadband from Eircom and I know a few others who ordered wireless routers and still have the old wired ones.

Put up a thread here asking for someone in the Temple Bar area to loan you one.

Or you could always walk into your local PC store and ask to buy one, but you want to try it first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

At the moment the Eircom DNS servers seem to be out of whack.
    At leat at my location, which is on the Dennehy's Cross exchange in Cork.
    Everything was working great until about 9 pm.

Clash wrote:
    There has to be lots of lads on here with spare routers. Practically everyone I know has one. Eircom used to send them out like christmas cards at one stage. A neighbour of mine got two when he ordered broadband from Eircom and I know a few others who ordered wireless routers and still have the old wired ones.

Put up a thread here asking for someone in the Temple Bar area to loan you one.

Or you could always walk into your local PC store and ask to buy one, but you want to try it first :D

Thanks for that!
    I think I'll try that actually.

I went to buy one and asked "if my router isn't the problem can I bring this back" ---> they said no.

I borrow one anyway before buying (If this is the problem) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 PL

http://home.eircom.net/speedtest/default.asp?id=1

read very careful about the minimum speed u can expect :eek: , and b happy.
    :D eircom :D

Welcome to the eircom broadband Test your Speed Site

Speedtest Site Requirements:
    Requires Internet Explorer 5 and above

Choose a file size below to test:
    Please allow up to 1 minute for the test to complete. In reality, users may find that the test only lasts around 30 seconds - this is usual. Results are logged for statistical purposes and are an indication of your connection speed only.

Medium file

What is the difference between Bits(b) and Bytes(B)

Bits and bytes are a measurement of electronic information. A byte is always 8 bits. Communications speeds are usually measured in bits per second while many computer operations are measured in bytes per second.

Lets take the 3 main connection speeds provided over eircom Broadband:

Home Starter Package
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between :mad: 256kb and 1024kb (kilobits) or between :mad: 25KB and 100KB (Kilobytes)

Home Plus Package
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between :mad: 256kb and 2024kb (kilobits) or between :mad: 25KB and 200KB (Kilobytes)

Business Plus
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 1MB and 2MB (megabytes) or 100KB and 200KB (Kilobytes)

Business Enhanced
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 2MB and 4MB (megabytes) or 200KB and 400KB(Kilobytes)

Ideally when abbreviations are used, b means bits and B means bytes.

On completion of this test your speed will be shown in Kilobytes

What exactly is the point of the above post?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

At risk of speaking on another poster's behalf, I think the angry faces would indicate that he's not happy with the minimum level of service on eircom residential broadband packages.;)

At risk of speaking on another poster's behalf, I think the angry faces would indicate that he's not happy with the minimum level of service on eircom residential broadband packages.;)

No isp guarantees speed irrespective of whether it is dsl wireless cable etc etc.

Regurgitating one of Eircom's web pages is hardly a useful post is it?

If the poster is not happy with the minimum speeds guaranteed by Eircom or indeed any of the other isps then don't sign up with them. For all the faults of isps reported here afaik none of them have yet been accused of forcing a customer to sign up.

If the poster has particular speed problems let him or her give details.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Hi

Would you mind doing a tracert on your router please?

to a local address if possible, watch for the first two hops, they shouldnt go over 40 ms.

Manuel, dont worry about the fault, basically it means that either the tip or ring wire is grounded, giving the wrong voltage and preventing you from getting broadband

Eircom must provide a line which can sync at 256 kbps for residential packages, 1 Mbps for some business packages (last time I checked). I don't know if it applies to IP download speeds, or if contention values of 48:1 are used instead.

Is 48:1 still the contention on residential DSL from eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yes on the 1 & 2 meg packages. It's 24:1 on the 3 meg.

Eircom must provide a line which can sync at 256 kbps for residential packages, 1 Mbps for some business packages (last time I checked). I don't know if it applies to IP download speeds, or if contention values of 48:1 are used instead.

Presumably you mean a bb service which meets those figures as distinct from providing a line? And aren't those figures exactly what is on the web page regurgitated by the poster?:rolleyes:

Yes, I mean to say "connection", for customers paying for the DSL service off eircom or bitstream reseller.

I didn't even read the business quality of service in that particular post, as I was explaining the point of the "regurgitation" and the angry emoticon.

Anyway, that is an IP download test, which is different to raw DSL connection speeds. I'm *nearly* certain that the minimum speeds that I remember are based on DSL, not IP. My memory about the minimum connection speeds is based on a post by Sponge Bob a while ago.

I think you can read for yourself, but yes they are indeed the same figures on said regurgitated page.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

your memory is correct .

all RADSL packages (ie RESIDENTIAL) are guaranteed 256k constant minimum synch

all IPSTREAM products (ie BUSINESS) are guaranteed 1mbit constant minimum synch speed

note my use of the word CONSTANT .

Advertisement