Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Grass Quality - Any Tips?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

For some time now I've been having some problems with the quality of the grass out my back garden - basically it's not very green and extremly patchy in places - looks simply awful - I've tried weeding and feeding every 6-8 weeks and have applied grass seed and watered frequently but all to no avail.

Am having some problems with cats using the garden as a toilet so have put down some pepper dust - could this be part of the problem? Also problem with lots of slugs so have put down slug pellets - could this also be a problems?

Has anybody any tips on how to create a more helthy greener lawn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just by chance, I was about to post about a similar problem in my garden.
    My grass is shaded heavly by trees and has a wall blocking out a lot of light along a good portion. Could this be similar to what you have?
    What I need is a grass seed that will tolerate shaded areas. Maybe somebody on here will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

No actually the grass would get a good amout of direct light each day.

Please somebody HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Have you tried feed and weed.I usually apply it once a year.It comes in a four stone bag.It should only be spread only if it is forecast to rain the next day or it will burn the grass.It is applied similiar to a fertiliser by shaking it across the lawn.You will normally see the results within a week.

Thanks.

If it's not due to rain the next day I presume you can just turn the sprinkler on?

Exactly it's good stuff.It sounds like your grass need feeding.You'll get it in any hardware store like woodies, atlantic, etc etc

• Advertisement

Do you know who makes it? Have heard of "Weed and Feed" which I've used but never "Feed and Weed"

EireEV wrote:
    Do you know who makes it? Have heard of "Weed and Feed" which I've used but never "Feed and Weed"

Same stuff.I'm not sure who manufactures it maybe Gouldings?, but I know different companies manufacture it under different names, but it does the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How often do you cut your grass and what height do you cut it to?

I've used weed and feed so if this feed and weed is the same stuff not sure what difference it will make. (stuff I use is in liquid form) Although when I put down the weed and feed I don't tend to water the grass - could this be a problem?

At the moment we cut the grass every 2-3 weeks, not sure exactly to what height but quite short.

EireEV wrote:
    At the moment we cut the grass every 2-3 weeks, not sure exactly to what height but quite short.
    :eek:
    i cut mine about 2-3 times a week at the moment
    what height is it at when you cut it?
    You should never take off more than about 1/3 of the height at each time, otherwise you are stressing the grass.

A good length for your grass would be about 2.5 inches.
    so you should cut it before it gets to 3 inches really.

the more you cut it (as long as you are not taking off more than 1/3) the more the grass will be driven to grow.

If you are not cutting yours enough it wont bother growing, and then you scalp it and it is under even more stress...

Try the granule version of feed and week, its easier to spread.
    Your grass should be growing like bajaysus if you are feeding it as much as you say you are.
    Check the instructions again, maybe you are using it incorrectly...

• Advertisement

I'll have to get the measuring tape out to be honest.

Anyway I had the spinkler on yesterday evening for about 30 mins as out some weed and feed (liquid form) down on Sunday. How often should I water the grass?

When should I apply this granule weed and feed given that I've just applied the liquuid weed and feed.

Thanks for all the advice to date.

EireEV

If you sow seed you dont want to soak the grass, just keep the top of it wet.
    Once your grass is growing you are much better off watering hard but infrequently.
    You want the water down at the roots to force the roots down, if you only water the top the roots stay there.

I have never used liquid feed for a lawn so Im not sure to be honest.

I wouldnt apply granules more than twice a year myself.
    It grows hard enough at that.

You dont really need to water the grass when we have weather like we are having now, only when its a good summer.
    Even then if your grass is growing well with good roots you wont need more than once a week for maybe an hour.

Did you water the grass after applying the feed?
    You need to decide whether to use either the liquid weed and feed or the granul e one, not both.

Yeah I watered the grass about 24hrs after I applied the feed.

So can I not now switch to the granule feed next time?

Was this advised on the instructions of the liquid feed??

I'm just afraid that you washed the feed down past the grass by watering it too early.

10-10-20 wrote:
    Was this advised on the instructions of the liquid feed??

I'm just afraid that you washed the feed down past the grass by watering it too early.
    Yeah I would concur.
    You can switch to the solid feed at any time, but you need to read the instructions about how and when to feed the grass.

Did you notice any weeds or moss dying after you put down the liquid feed?
    If so, did you rake it up?

Advertisement