Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with bmw 3 series

Options
  • 27-08-2007 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I recently bought a '97 318is and have a problem with the ignition now. I was driving the other night and when I went to turn off the ignition it was somehow locked while the car was still running. The steering-wheel was not locked however.

In the end I had to stall the car to turn it off and disable the battery to turn off the electrics. Anyone ever have a similar problem? Anyone know if it will be costly to get fixed?

All help is much obliged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I got an ignition barrel from a crashed 3 series for E80 and had it put in for E20. It was fine except there was a different key to start it than the key to unlock the door. This should not be a problem if you have a remote control key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It sounds like your barrel is screwed... there's a number of security features in the barrel to prevent it being forced to start the car, these can break causing the barrel to spin... Once these security features "break away" the barrel will no longer function..

The good news is that BMW will make you up a new ignition barrel, to match your current key for €50+Vat, they'll need your VIN number, and it will take about a week to get it in....

You'll first need to removing the cowling around the steering wheel, which is fairly simple...

You'll then need to remove the EWS immobilizer pick up coil.. if you search the internet you'll see a flat metal tool for doing this... i just used a flat metal ruler up against the EWS antenna and a screw driver ;)

Next comes the fun part, you'll need to turn the barrel to position 1 ( i think, check the net ) with the key in it... then push a paper clip into the little hole... you'll need to fiddle about with it, will probably need a bend put in it, but eventually the barrel will pop out... This is the most fiddly bit of the job will probably take about 15 mins and lots of trial / error :confused:

Next check the seat where the new barrel will go into and make sure there is no bits of metal off the old barrel... ;)

Now install the new barrel, with key key present, should be roughly turned to position 1 so the back of the barrel lines up with the electrical switch at the back of it...

Re-fit the EWS antenna + cowling...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Have a look at this link, same happened to me.

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=15445&highlight=barrel

or go to the website and do a search on spinning ignition barrel

Hope this helps

Mac

Advertisement