Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limited or no connectivity

• 27-08-2007 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

How's it going,

Just moved into a new house, i was using NTL cable across wireless in the old place no problems.

Moved into the new place, same setup, linksys Wireless Router.
    I'm in a room thats downstaird and the connection is "Very good".

When it tries to connect (i've entered the WEP) it connects but gets stuck on "aqiring ip address" or "assigning ip address" and then after a while fails.

What would cause this? the other lad in the house can connect fine.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Double check that the wep key is correct, if still no joy reset the router and restart windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

I've been restarting the router and my PC. Are you talking about a hard reset to blank the router so it has to be setup again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Put in a statc IP, just make sure its the same range as the router and put the default gateway and DNS as the router address. This is just to make sure you can connect and its not a problem with the wep key etc.

Also make sure the other pc in the house that is working is using DHCP, its possible its not and the DHCP is just not working?

Have you installed any firewall software like Norton internet security or zone alarm recently?

I added the IP address and subnet mask and it got a connection, but i couldn't get any internet access. There's no Default Gateway or DHCP stuff, how do i find that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The default gateway and DNS will be the IP address of the router. Usually 192.168.1.1 (for example) - it's usually the first IP on the subnet you're using.

When I've encountered this in the past, it's usually an incorrect WEP key, or otherwise a WEP problem. Your machine can detect and connect to the network OK, but because you are unable to encrypt/decrypt traffic, you're unable to communicate with any services on the network, i.e. DHCP and DNS.

The same will happen if you put in a static IP address - you still need to be able to encrypt/decrypt the traffic to access the internet.

I would recommend a factory reset of the router and set up everything from scratch (and also switch to WPA).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

easiest way to check if it is the wep is to disable it.
    Run without security and see if the dhcp gives you an address and whether you can connect to the internet etc. If you can then its a problem with WEP.

If the other lad can connect fine it sounds like a password issue really.

WEP was always very fiddly for me on my linksys router, the password key never worked, i had to enter the entire hex string, you could try that (my router is using beta firmware however which may be causing that). Didn't have that problem with WPA

As Saruman suggests i'd consider switching to Wpa (better security) as well.

well it's not my house, so hard resetting the router probably isn't an option as the other lad uses it every day, and i can't run with no WEP as it won't let me connect it says to enter a wep key,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

It's either a WEP issue, a driver issue or an issue with your card. Plug the phone line out of the router (no internet connectivity), disable wep, see if you can connect to the router. If you can't, try restarting the router and trying again. If you still can't, it's an issue with the card / driver. Try getting the latest drivers. Lets say you can connect with no wep, turn on wep and triple check that you are entering the correct wep key. If the wep key is 100% correct and it's not working, and you're using the latest drivers it may be a hardware issue with the card.

Also, ensure that they do not have mac address filtering enabled on the router. It may be that that is knocking you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely sounds like a WEP problem or MAC filtering then - sorry I was under the impression that you'd moved somewhere and taken your router with you.

Just confirm the WEP key with the guy and that he's not using MAC filtering.

MAC filtering is far more hassle than it's worth IMO. I had it set up on my router, but every time I had to do a hard reboot on the router, for some reason the MAC filtering would screw up and refuse access to all wireless clients, and then I'd have to do a factory reset to get them back up. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

i can't run with no WEP
    Sorry i meant disable WEP on the router itself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

seamus wrote:
    Definitely sounds like a WEP problem or MAC filtering then - sorry I was under the impression that you'd moved somewhere and taken your router with you.
    Thats what i thought too.. i did not realise it was a different router etc.

Like i said in my last post, the gateway and DNS are the IP address of the router.
    You can get them from the other computer.
    start - run - cmd pres ok
    type: ipconfig /all
    It will give you the gateway and dns address etc. Just use whatever it has.

But like other people have said.. its also possibly just a case you are not authorised to use it either by mac filtering or by the wrong key.

Advertisement