Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Help

Options
  • 27-08-2007 11:32am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks I am working on a small build at the minute for messing around on and having a spare main internet PC.

So far I have the following sourced:

A7N8X-E Deluxe: http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=217&l1=3&l2=13&l3=56

2600 Athlon CPU

1GB Crucial RAM (1GB x DRR 400)

Thermaltake Tornado cooler

I am just looking for advice on AGP graphics cards. I ain't too up on the DDR2 DDR3 etc etc.

What would be compatible on the above??

Also should I go for SATA or IDE when I get a HDD??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

budget?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well I don't want to spend too much, as I said this is only a small build while I'm saving for a Big Spec machine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Also would this be compatable??

nVidia GeForce 6800 GS AGP
    * Memory: 256MB
    * Bus Type: AGP 8X
    * Memory Type: DDR3
    * Memory Bus: 256-bit
    * TV Out , Dual DVI Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah that will do the job.

8T8 wrote:
    Yeah that will do the job.

Even though its DDR3, Savage. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Just one point to note when you are talking about graphics cards. The board you have sourced is only an AGP board when PCI Express has been around for a long time. AGP is very old hat and you'll nearly pay more for an AGP card than for a PCI-EX one.

Secondly SATA drives are about the same price as IDE ones, so why would you turn down the speed advantage?

Clash wrote:
    Just one point to note when you are talking about graphics cards. The board you have sourced is only an AGP board when PCI Express has been around for a long time. AGP is very old hat and you'll nearly pay more for an AGP card than for a PCI-EX one.

Secondly SATA drives are about the same price as IDE ones, so why would you turn down the speed advantage?

Ah i know of a few cheapish AGP cards and the one above is one of them. I am only doing something to store a few odd files on nothing major!! The case I am getting now is the shell for what will be my new build but i have to get it bit by bit!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It does not matter what kind of RAM is on the GPU that is not a factor in compatibility with the motherboard.

The only RAM compatibility you need to be aware of is with the motherboard own RAM slots which are DDR not DDR-2 or DDR-3 so just dont mix those up.

8T8 wrote:
    It does not matter what kind of RAM is on the GPU that is not a factor in compatibility with the motherboard.

The only RAM compatibility you need to be aware of is with the motherboard own RAM slots which are DDR not DDR-2 or DDR-3 so just dont mix those up.

Ah I was wondering about that, thank you for confirming. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

jonny24ie wrote:
    Ah i know of a few cheapish AGP cards and the one above is one of them. I am only doing something to store a few odd files on nothing major!! The case I am getting now is the shell for what will be my new build but i have to get it bit by bit!! :(

Fair enough, but i'd still check out a few PCI-EX cards just to be sure. There's quite a bit of difference between them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement