Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool favourites ??

• 27-08-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I tip Liverpool for the title.

Chelsea don't look impressive struggling for a win against
    Portsmouth and were lucky last week against Liverpool.

Man U have had a bad start and were lucky to get a win of
    a Spurs side in a mess...

I know there is a long long way to go but Liverpool just look
    the best at the moment .. Beating Sunderland away 2-0 was
    an impressive result, people expected them to lose points there
    but they put in a great performance, the Liverpool of last year might have
    lost points there , but so long as they continue this form .. I tip them
    as league champs next May...

PS .. I'm a Chelsea fan...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I would say Chelsea because they have a habit of getting results even when they don't play well.
    - I'm an Arsenal fan BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Liverpool fan....I don't think they will do it this year. I also favor Chelsea for a couple of reasons. Thier depth of squad in all areas and their ability to believe in themselves and grind out results.

Liverpool look fantastic, when attacking, and solid in defence, but they have to learn to play attacking football a bit more and believe in themselves. Manu are going through a transition (a term I hate BTW) but it's evident, even at this early stage, that they will have a couple of issues as the season progresses with cover and players.

I think it will be closer this year for Liverpool than last, but I still fancy Chelsea with Aresnal and Manu to fight for 3rd and 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool are able to produce results against any team with or without Steven Gerrard imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i think it'll be a close season.

United need to improve quickly to challange. they need a good run and get back up to the top and put pressure on chelsea. if this happens i can see chelsea dropping points

i dont think Arsenal have the squad to win the league. simply

i haven't been impressed my Liverpool yet but they have the talent to push for the title but i reckon that it'll the next year before they are a genuine threat.

Chelsea aren't playing well and will struggle when the African Nations Cup starts. at the moment they are favorites but if United can find their feet and Liverpool start to play to potential then its gonna be a good season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think (hope, as a United fan) that Liverpool have a bad run in them.

I've been very impressed with both Torres and Voronin, and I think that's exactly where Liverpool have fallen down in recent years - up front. So I am quite afraid of Liverpool at the moment. I do think they lack something out wide - I haven't been so impressed with Babel, though Pennant has been doing well - but overall they look a good, solid team.

As for winning the title, like I said they will really need to avoid a bad run. The problem with Liverpool, I think, is that their goals come from only a few sources. I wouldn't count on their wingers to provide goals all season, and barring Torres (and maybe Voronin, though I would be surprised if he keeps up his current form) I don't really rate their strikers, though Crouch is always good for a goal for some reason. Then take away Gerrard, and I think Liverpool are very susceptible to a poor run of form if Gerrard or Torres get injured/have a bad run of form themselves. I'd say the same of Arsenal (Fabregas and Van Persie) but not of United and Chelsea.

Liverpool have a chance - haven't thought that for a while - but I think Chelsea are going to win it this season. United and Liverpool could be up there, probably battling out for second in the end with Arsenal not far behind. Of course, United need to actually start playing well soon or all three could be out of reach.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I think Liverpool's defence is very reliant on the fitness of Carragher. Hyppia/Agger wouldn't inspire confidence in me, and it will interesting to see how they do with Carra's broken rib.

So, barring Torres, Voronin (at the minute), and Crouch who always has an eye for goal- you don't think our strikers are decent? you just said three out of four were good???

Take them out and Gerrard and we could struggle for goals? ****ing right! we'd have no strikers and one of the best players in the world missing! :)

Utd would struggle for goals without Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Saha

Chelsea same without Lampard, Drogba, Pizzaro and Schevchenko

Arsenal without Van Persie would struggle for goals.

Don't really get your point, all teams need their best players to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd tip Arsenal before Liverpool tbh. on their day they play the best football in the premiership without a doubt, and we are finally beginning to see the midfielders score more which to me suggests they have begun to shake off the bizarre tendency to overcomplicate (which United seem to have acquired). the only problem will be the strength of the cover, which is lacking. but then again all they need is a bit of luck on the injuries front (which tbh the winning team nearly always has) and they could easily be challenging.

also, Rafa being a lover of rotating players when they dont need to be rotated, you know he's going to go into a few games and make bizarre selection decisions that could potentially cost a few points. also, Gerrard injured, and now Carra injured and a lack of cover in central defence... bad omens for me...

there's something about Mourinho too... Lamps is now carrying an injury, Terry has just returned from an injury... there always seems to be some key Chelsea player playing through an injury these days. i think Mourinho demands too much of his players in training and i wouldn't be surprised if we saw injuries costing Chelsea the title again this year. (that, or judging by the whole Ronaldinho thing we're now hearing about, if it's true there could be some more board v manager aggro on the way again too)

and Man Utd. well, it looks like luck is against them this season. the inability to score despite dominating teams smacks of the problems Arsenal have gone through, coupled with the injury to Rooney... coupled with a few new key personnel still having to gel fully into the team, like Tevez and Hargreaves, i just seems like the GOds are against them.

ultimately though, i think this year has the potential to be a lot tighter than the last few years. hope to f8ck it is too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

As a Pool fan, Im not too sure it will be our year. too early to tell but I like the start we have made. This season we are taking it to the opposition a lot more. Utd and chelsea have still spent huge amounts of money augmenting the squad, I feel we are still playing catch up.
    Whats most important for this season, Year 4 of Rafas 5 year plan is that we are at least competitive in the title race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Beating Sunderland away 2-0 was
    an impressive result, people expected them to lose points there

What people?
    Sunderland have been workmanlike at best
    3rd is the best Liverpool can realistically expect and I dont think they will get that.

• Advertisement

Why don't ya think they'll get that considering they've finished there the last two years and are undeniably a better team now?

Also had piss poor starts in the past, as opposed to a good start now.

Surely if you're gonna say you don't think they'll achieve that you'll need to back that up with some reasoning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Agger wouldn't inspire confidence in me
    You are joking now aren't you?

I think you'll find most people who watch the EPL would have more confidence in Agger than in Ferdinand.

Vidic makes Ferdinand look good and Wes Brown makes Vidic look good. Ferguson has blinkers on when it comes to Wes Brown who I think is one of the best defenders out there.

Utd have a problem up front in the fact that they don't have a target man. Saha is too fragile to play for an extended run. I wouldn't be surprised if UTD try to get someone on loan in before end of Aug.

At the moment I have to fancy Chelsea simply because they are back to grinding out results when they need to.

After that I fancy Liverpool if they can keep pace with them to finish a very close 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool are certainly not favourites at this stage, but early signs are promising. You can be out of the race by Christmas, but you can't win it by Christmas.

Liverpool have played 3 matches so far. In all honesty, what can that tell you?
    3rd is the best Liverpool can realistically expect and I dont think they will get that.

At the risk of falling for an obvious troll - who do you think will finish above Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm a Liverpool fan, and until we can actually beat any of Arsenal, ManU & Chelsea, title no.19 won't be Anfield bound.

Also, 3 games in, hardly worth talking about favourites.

Why would anyone write off ManU(never finished outside of top3) or Chelsea (most consistent side over the last few years). Arsenal play attractive football but I'm not sure on their squad depth or killer instinct, they'll be competiting with Liverpool for 3rd spot imo.

It's a marathan not a sprint, the team who gets that extra little bit of luck from the top 4 will be the one to win it, be that fixtures, injuries or form going their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i do have a good feeling this year for us, would like to think second is the least we should be aiming for.

but this is the first year in the last 5 that i havent bet on us to win it so on that note i say we will certainly do it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Why don't ya think they'll get that considering they've finished there the last two years and are undeniably a better team now?

Also had piss poor starts in the past, as opposed to a good start now.

Surely if you're gonna say you don't think they'll achieve that you'll need to back that up with some reasoning?

football is really that easy is it?

they finished there last year, have a better team on paper so therfore will do better this year!

sure you could say the same about man united and chelsea, they have both improved sure.

What people?
    My mate fred!!!
    Sunderland have been workmanlike at best
    Get aweh with ye, do you think I'm trolled that easy????:rolleyes:

So, barring Torres, Voronin (at the minute), and Crouch who always has an eye for goal- you don't think our strikers are decent? you just said three out of four were good???

Take them out and Gerrard and we could struggle for goals? ****ing right! we'd have no strikers and one of the best players in the world missing! :)

Don't really get your point, all teams need their best players to play.

Barring Torres and Gerrard, I think you could struggle for goals and become at risk of going on a bad run. I said Voronin is looking good at the minute, but I would be surprised if he is so good throughout the season. I was just pointing out that Crouch seems to get goals when he plays, somehow, but I still wouldn't want to rely on him as first choice.

Of course all teams need their best players to play - look at what has happened to United with injury. My only point is that, in specific areas (i.e. attacking midfield and forwards) Liverpool strike me as being particularly vulnerable. Lose Gerrard (to injury or poor form), and there isn't a lot left in attacking midfield. Lose Torres, and you're relying on Crouch, Voronin and Kuyt - any of whom might suffice, but none of whom strike me as being good enough to win a Premier League with (though I accept that Voronin could prove me wrong). These happen to be two areas from which Liverpool get most of their goals, hence I think Liverpool are susceptible to a poor run of form, which will probably be very very damaging to title aspirations in such a competitive season.

Arsenal are in a very similar position - I'd say more drastic actually - with Fabregas and Van Persie. Chelsea are not. With Shevchenko, Kalou, Pizarro and Drogba available for one/two positions, their frontline is fine. With Joe Cole, Malouda, SWP and Kalou again as wide players, their wings are fine. With Lampard and Ballack as AMs, they're fine. Last season, their defence was vulnerable and it cost them, but they've sorted that somewhat this season. I'm not sure about United. They have pretty good wingers, but Ronaldo by far and away the most important so I'd say they could be in trouble if they lose him, depending on how Nani gets on. Up front, unless Tevez and Rooney work as a pair, they are in trouble without Saha who's injury prone anyway. Scholes would also be a big loss, but I reckon we could manage without him.

Overall, I expect 2 or 3 of the big four to be challenging come the end of the season so if anyone falls too far behind they could be out of it quickly.

[quote=Lex Luther[/quote]You are joking now aren't you?

I think you'll find most people who watch the EPL would have more confidence in Agger than in Ferdinand.

Vidic makes Ferdinand look good and Wes Brown makes Vidic look good. Ferguson has blinkers on when it comes to Wes Brown who I think is one of the best defenders out there.

Utd have a problem up front in the fact that they don't have a target man. Saha is too fragile to play for an extended run. I wouldn't be surprised if UTD try to get someone on loan in before end of Aug.

At the moment I have to fancy Chelsea simply because they are back to grinding out results when they need to.

After that I fancy Liverpool if they can keep pace with them to finish a very close 2nd.[/quote]

I said a Hyypia/Agger partnership wouldn't inspire confidence.

As for Ferdinand, I actually think he makes Vidic look good. Granted, he used to be prone to lapses in concentration - and recaptured a bit of that glory against Tottenham yesterday - but his form over the past year has been superb. I remember BBC showed some clips of how Vidic fared without him, and positionally he was a bit lost. A hefty percentage of a defence's job is positional, and Ferdinand is the leader of United's defence in that sense. Coupled with his pace and 'footballing ability', IMO it is Ferdinand's presence that allows Vidic (and Terry for England) to throw himself around like a hero trying to clear the ball. Not a slight on Vidic who's also a great defender, just saying that Ferdinand is probably the more important part of an excellent partnership. Right now, he's a better defender than Agger anyway and if only for the fact that everyone seems to have it in for Rio (not helped by that ridiculous 'Merced' TV show :rolleyes:), I think most would agree with me on that.

As for United, I think a lot depends on whether Rooney and Tevez can work as a partnership but for now I agree that I'd put Chelsea as favourites.

event wrote:
    football is really that easy is it?

they finished there last year, have a better team on paper so therfore will do better this year!

sure you could say the same about man united and chelsea, they have both improved sure.

sure, but United look very beatable by most teams at the minute.

And Chelsea look less than convincing-celebrated a draw in Anfield as if they just won the FA cup.

Liverpool on the other hand, are playing very well, Torres looks brilliant, Gerrard seems to be in the form of his life etc etc

all i asked was for him to explain his reasoning-very fair thing to do.

i could come on here and say,

i think Utd will get relegated,
    Sissoko will be the top scorer in the league,
    Reading will win the league

but i'd need to back it up with some sort of reasoning if i wanted people to take me seriously. And i'd expect people to ask for my reasoning if i said such stupid things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Favourites? Definitely not. But we have a chance - just like Chelsea, Arsenal and United. I think we'll be there or thereabouts come May (injuries permitting). Gerrard needs to have his best ever season (including 15-20 goals), Pennant needs to keep up his form. I think Kewell could have a big season if (and it's a big if) he gets, and stays, fit. I have a lot of faith in Torres to get 20 goals this year. If all these click - then maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

With Shevchenko, Kalou, Pizarro and Drogba available for one/two positions, their frontline is fine. With Joe Cole, Malouda, SWP and Kalou again as wide players, their wings are fine. With Lampard and Ballack as AMs, they're fine.

yeah, kalou, shevchenko, swp and ballack have been great for chelsea haven't they? Pizarro is unproven and Cole is injury prone. Overall, I prefer liverpool's midfield/attack option tbh. I would take Terry for defensive cover though!

I said a Hyypia/Agger partnership wouldn't inspire confidence.
    didn't see the word partnership mentioned in your original post....

I think Kewell could have a big season if (and it's a big if) he gets, and stays, fit.
    Huge IF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and the winnah of the most previous thread of the season goes to......! :p

The only thing we can be resaonably confident of is that the race for the title will proberly be much tighter this year (thankyou Man Utd).

Mike.

sweetie wrote:
    yeah, kalou, shevchenko, swp and ballack have been great for chelsea haven't they? Pizarro is unproven and Cole is injury prone. Overall, I prefer liverpool's midfield/attack option tbh. I would take Terry for defensive cover though!

Kalou's been pretty good. Wright-Phillips has looked excellent this season and Ballack was actually alright last season, just had a silly role in the team. He is still one of the best players in the world and I'd be fairly confident that if Lampard was injured he could step up and play just as well in the more natural position. Fair enough, Shevchenko was a bit of a disaster but he's still Shevchenko!

This is a speculative thread about the coming season. Torres is just as unproven as Pizarro and Xabi Alonso might well get injured just as Joe Cole might well get injured. My only point is that, looking ahead to how I predict the Premiership will turn out, I see Liverpool being more dependent on certain players than Chelsea. That might well ruin their season, or those players could well pull a Ronaldo and win yiz the league.

As for preferring Liverpool's attack/midfield - well I'd look at it like this:
    Drogba > Torres
    Shevchenko ≈ Kuyt (Though potentially, Shev >>>>>> Kuyt)
    Kalou ≈ Voronin
    Pizarro ≈ Crouch
    Lampard ≈ Gerrard (Though potentially, Lampard << Gerrard)
    Essien > Alonso
    Mikel < Masherano
    Makelele ≈ Sissoko
    Any of Malouda/Cole/SWP > Any of Pennant/Benayoun/Babel

That's the best I can do in matching players, left over for Chelsea there's Ballack, Diarra and Sidwell and for Liverpool there's Kewell, Leto and Leiva. Again, Chelsea > Liverpool.

Obviously, that's a horrendously stupid way to judge two teams, as the key problem remains of how to effectively use these players (both Liverpool, Gerrard on the wing etc. and Chelsea, Ballack and Lampard on the same team etc. have problems here) but as a basic rule I'd choose Chelsea's squad over Liverpool's every time.
    Lex Luther wrote:
    didn't see the word partnership mentioned in your original post....

Well then I apologise for the misunderstanding - I meant Hyppia/Agger partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Drogba > Torres
    Kalou ≈ Voronin
    Pizarro ≈ Crouch
    Essien > Alonso
    Mikel < Masherano
    Makelele ≈ Sissoko

Thats just silly now.

Drogba > Torres [Torres to be a much better player than Drogba tho]
    Shevchenko < Kuyt (Shev has showed nothing of his old form so kuyt at present is a better player)
    Kalou < Voronin [Voronin has showen he is a much better player than kalou]
    Pizarro ≈ Crouch [Crouch I feel has proven himself in the PL, pizarro not yet]
    Lampard < Gerrard
    Essien > Alonso
    Mikel < Masherano
    Makelele > Sissoko [momo has more protential]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How can you say this?
    And Chelsea look less than convincing-celebrated a draw in Anfield as if they just won the FA cup.

And then this
    Liverpool on the other hand, are playing very well, Torres looks brilliant, Gerrard seems to be in the form of his

Liverpool are playing well? What planet are you on? They played well against Chelsea, no doubt about that. Big deal, Liverpool always play well against the big teams, sure last season they played really well against United both times, how'd that go? Oh they lost, and they drew against Chelsea this year.
    Liverpool beat Villa 2-1, with a wonder strike from Gerrard. Incredible goal, the type you score once in a lifetime if you're an average player, 2-3 times a year if your'e Gerrard.
    Liverpool beat Sunderland 2-0. It wasn't exactly and impressive performance, and Liverpool were not as amazing as you'd think. They scored because of a wonder wonder wonder goal from Sissoko, but once again the strikers were finishing very poorly. Maybe you'd say Gordon had a good game, but maybe if Torres and Voronin didn't hit the ball directly at him it might have been a difference.
    Liverpool have still done very little to convince me they can do better than United or Chelsea this season. The performances against the big teams were never a problem, it was the crap teams. They nearly dropped points to Villa, and they managed to beat Sunderland, a team which will be battling for relegation.
    That said, I'm not writing them off, I'm just saying, nothing has happened to say to me that Liverpool are gona start a run of 10 victories that you need to win the league. Of course, the next four matches for Liverpool are gona be easy, and I think they could well win all 4. Derby, Portsmouth, Wigan, and Brum are all easy enough games which you'd expect Liveprool to win. If they win all four of those, then maybe I'd start to think they are in with a shot, but until then, nothings changed. How you can deduce something has from 3 games, one of which they won with a wonder goal, one of which they drew, and one of which they beat a relegation battler is beyond me.

Also this is just crap
    sure, but United look very beatable by most teams at the minute.

United aren't scoring, but to say that they look beatable? City had one shot and got a deflection. Reading and Portsmouth had very little on goal either. The Spurs game was lucky, nobodies denying that, but that's against the 5th place side, I'll take that. Also it is the first time we've actually looked beatable this season.

Arsenal have looked much more impressive this season to me. They have actually been creating chances on a regular basis. Once again though, they haven't shown that they are gona fix their problems of last year, specifically just blooding scoring goals.

Right now for me, Chelsea are favorites, but not by a huge amount. United are second favorites, close behind. Then Arsenal are third, just, ahead of Liverpool fourth.

---

Also, how the **** anybody can claim Liverpool has as good attack as Chelsea is a joke.

Kalou < Voronin [Voronin has showen he is a much better player than kalou]
    Pizarro ≈ Crouch [Crouch I feel has proven himself in the PL, pizarro not yet]

I love this part particuarly. So Pizzaro hasn't proven himself while Crouch has, of course Voronin has proved himself magically somehow?
    Drogba is better than Torres. Shevchenko is imo better htan Kuyt, although I can give Kuyt this one. Let's compare Voronin and Pizzaro, both too early to say, solves that problem. Now Liverpool have an extra striker in Crouch.

Then you have the wingers.
    Malouda, Cole, SWP and Kalou are better than any of Pennant Benayoun or Babel.

Then you have the attacking midfielders.
    In the last three seasons,
    Lampard scored 11, 16, and 13 goals.
    Gerrard scored 7, 10, and 7 goals.
    Lampard got 10, 9, and 16 assists.
    Gerrard got 8, 5, and 5 assists.

You can say what you want about who is the better player etc, but ultimately, as an attacking force, Lampard trumps Gerrard on every aspect. He also has the added bonus of not giving away possession non stop.

PHB:

-Liverpool outplayed Villa and won.

-Outplayed Chelsea and drew because of the ref.

-Completely outplayed Sunderland and won 2 nil. with a good goal from Momo and an excellent goal from Voronin (one of the misfiring strikers you mentioned)

Two of the above games were away matches, which we dominated from start to finish and won. We won 6 away games all last year. Our away form seems to have improved. Playing anyone at Anfield has never been a problem.

Liverpool are playing very well at the moment. Torres does look excellent and Gerrard was in amazing form before he picked up his toe injury (wussy :)). I don' really see what your point is about in relation to this!?

You seem convinced that Liverpool are unable to put together any sort of decent runs of wins, despite the fact the we've done just that in the not so distant past.

Chelsea did celebrate a draw in Anfield as if they'd just won a cup, not seeing your point there either, they beat us 4-1 there a couple of seasons ago, now they heading back to London with a point they don't deserve and are dead happy with that.

At no point have i said that i think we will the league. Simply pointing out that some of the arguments people are coming up reasons why we wont win it are ridiculous. Inabilities to put together runs of form!?Have done it before,can do it again. Over-reliance on Gerrard/Torres/Carragher?!of course we'll rely on our best players.

I'm not sure if we can win the league this year tbh. But i think we definately have a good enough squad to do it. and in all honesty i think out of the top 4 sides, at the moment we look the best by a long shot.

Utd are struggling at the moment, they can't score, and you can't win games if you dont score. Not sure if Rooneys return will be the answer either, goalscoring wise-he ain't great and thats wat you need. Saha is the key player for yous i reckon.

Watever happens this year will be close.

You contant belief that Arsenal are in with a better shout is very strange to me tbh. i reckon i'd take 3 players from their starting 11 who i'd start for Liverpool. They don't have the depth needed to win the league, might do next year, but personally think its beyond them this year.

meeee-ow

• Advertisement

I think it could well be close here, but what i'm saying is that nothing has happened so far has suggested anything has hugely changed. Liverpool have played 3 games, won two, drawn one. The game against Chelsea is all well and good, but as I said, Liverpool have never had trouble doing well in big games, it's the small games, particuarly the away games that have been the trouble.
    The Villa game, Liverpool played well, not great, well. They won 2-1 through a wonder strike. The point I was making there was that you won't get wonder strikes week in week out. Sunderland are a relegation battling team, I'm not surprised that Liverpool have won this game in the slighest, and to be honest, it was the type of game they won last year.

The problems last year arose in away games against the likes of Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Porstmouth. So far, nothing has changed really.

Furthermore while Torres seems to be class, none of your strikers have shown themselves to be that clinical in comparision to last year. Voronin may have scored at the end, but when it mattered earlier on he fluffed his chance right to Gordon's legs. Torres also used incredible pace to get through, but couldn't put away his chances.Kuyt hasn't shown himself to be this super magical goal-scorer that lots of people seem to think he is gona be. Liverpool may have 'outplayed' Chelsea but they could only manage one goal.

This should all be suffixed with a YET. They might, but nothing so far has suggested that Liverpool are a hugely different team.

Lots has changed for United, no doubt, but that's a whole other issue. Personally, I don't think there's a huge problem, I'd say in the coming weeks United will get back to their old selves. We'll see though. I do agree with you, I think Saha is the player to bounce United back on target. Rooney won't be back for a while. Saha and Anderson should be back for next week. Ronaldo the week after. Tevez might finally be able to look like he can play for 90 minutes. Giggs will be able to drop to the left wing where he's actually a decent player. We can play a 4-4-2 again. If we can beat Sunderland next week, I think we'll be back on track.
    --
    You contant belief that Arsenal are in with a better shout is very strange to me tbh.

Strange? How so? Sure Arsenal have done as well as you guys have this season so far.

As for the 3 players comment, imo, Toure, Gallas, Fabregas, Rosicky and Van Persie would all be in a combined Liverpool/Arsenal top 11 for me, combining it with Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Torres to make a pretty imressive team of

Reina
    -Finnan-Toure-Carragher-Gallas-
    -Gerrard-Alonso-Fabregas-Rosicky
    Van Persie-Torres

I'd watch that team play, it'd be impressive.

As for the depth, I think they have weaknesses, but just like Liverpool. They are weak in the CB area, as are Liverpool. They have plenty of strikers and midfielders. I guess they are weak in the winger area, but not hugely, and to be honest, not a huge issue. Their depth is not the problem.

As for the Gerrard v Lampard thing: Gerrard contributes more to a team than Lampard does, undeniably imo. Stats don't always tell the full story, eg: Tevez scored 7 goals last season in a rack of appearances yet i would've loved to see him join Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Drogba > Torres
    Kalou ≈ Voronin
    Pizarro ≈ Crouch
    Essien > Alonso
    Mikel < Masherano
    Makelele ≈ Sissoko
    Id agree with that.

Although I think Alonso / Mikel (the playmakers) and Masch / Makelele (anchormen) would be better comparions. But other than that, its mostly spot on, I think.

PHB wrote:
    Sunderland are a relegation battling team, I'm not surprised that Liverpool have won this game in the slighest, and to be honest, it was the type of game they won last year.

The problems last year arose in away games against the likes of Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Porstmouth. So far, nothing has changed really.

Of the teams below 50 points in the PL last season (we'll call these the relegation battling teams), we only beat four of the 9 away from home.

Based on that, I would say you are wrong.

So can i then write off United cause they can't beat Portsmouth or City away? or Reading at home?

No i can't cause it would be stupid to do.

Last season Liverpool lost to Utd in Anfield and OT, Arsenal home and away.

Thats 12 points dropped.

We lost to Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Fulham, thats a further 18 points dropped.

Thats 31 points dropped between the big teams and away games we should have won. So playing big teams is a problem, no one can afford to give away points like that.

All I'm saying is, from the way Liverpool have started and the players they have brought in (Torres for Bellamy,Babel/Benayoun for Gonzalez,Voronin for Fowler), there has been a definate improvement in both the squad and the quality of play so i don't think we'll drop those points like that again.

Meaning if we can even pick up half those points we dropped last season, we'll be there or there abouts to win the title.

Bolllllox to it, i didnt wanna jinx it - but Liverpool to win the title! COME ON YOU REDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I will offer 5/1 to anybody who wants to back Liverpool winning the league.

• Advertisement

I'll take that

Em
    Of the teams below 50 points in the PL last season (we'll call these the relegation battling teams),

Or we could call them the teams in the bottom half of the table, which is what they actually are.
    Last year the teams in a real relegation battle were:
    Man City, West Ham, Fulham, Wigan, Charlton, Sheffield United, Watford.
    Away form:
    Sheff Utd 1 - 1 Liverpool
    Wigan 0 - 4 Liverpool
    Charlton 0 - 3 Liverpool
    Man City 0 - 0 Liverpool
    Watford 0 - 3 Liverpool
    Fulham 1 - 0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 2 - 2 Charlton

Two of those, the last two, are silly comparisions, as you would have won them at a canter had you even shown up.
    You won 3, drew two when it actually mattered.
    You dropped 4 points there.

The games you dropped a ****load of points on, the ones I mentioned earlier, Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle, Porstmouth. 15 points dropped there away. What's changed? Nothing so far
    All I'm saying is, from the way Liverpool have started and the players they have brought in (Torres for Bellamy,Babel/Benayoun for Gonzalez,Voronin for Fowler), there has been a definate improvement in both the squad and the quality of play so i don't think we'll drop those points like that again.

Definate improvement, no doubt about that. The squad is much better. However, all I'm saying is, Liverpool haven't done anything so far to suggest that they will actually do a lot better this season. Their squad certainly has the ability to do so, but nothing has happened so far to suggest it will. Time will tell.

--

p.s I'd probably take the 5-1 bet too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im thinking Chelsea first, because of their incredible ability to get through the bad patches by grinding out results. They're probably playing as bad as they will for the season right now, and are still top. United and Liverpool to be close behind, United in second if they can get themselves sorted out very soon. I think Chelsea will have a nice lead come christmas, which will be cut down over the african nations, but not enough. Arsenal, yes on their day can dominate and take anybody apart, but i dont think they're quite consistent enough yet. Fourth, with everton not far behind (really great team built there, would possibly tyip them for fourth if they'd gotten fernandez), and Pompy and spurs just behind. Pompy to do well all season, but lose ground over african nations missing Kanu, Utaka, Muntari, Benjani etc etc.

PHB wrote:
    Or we could call them the teams in the bottom half of the table, which is what they actually are.

Middlesborough finished on 46 points, and were the highest placed of the 9 teams I mentioned. If you think 46 points is a safe mid table position, then fair enough.

PHB wrote:
    Fulham 1 - 0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 2 - 2 Charlton

Two of those, the last two, are silly comparisions, as you would have won them at a canter had you even shown up.

Its also a silly comparison as the last one was at home. As for not turning up against Fulham, that was the result of having a much lighter squad, with less depth of quality.

PHB wrote:
    However, all I'm saying is, Liverpool haven't done anything so far to suggest that they will actually do a lot better this season.

As I've pointed out, our record at relegation battling teams away from home last season was less than 50%. We also only drew away to Villa last season.
    We didn't win and away game before December, and only won 6 the whole season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This season is as good a season as any for Liverpool to win the league, as Chelsea aren't as strong as they were during Mourinho's first 2 seasons, while I think Ferguson has upset the fine balance he had at United last season. Still, I don't think they'll win it. Still Chelsea for me.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    ,....., Liverpool have never had trouble doing well in big games,
    Completely wrong. Liverpool have struggled consistently against the top 3. From memory (and I'm open to correction here as I can't find a link) we have 1 point from 18 in the league against the top 3 in 2004/5, 9 out of 18 in 2005/6, and 5 out of 18 in 2006/2007. How is this doing well? A total of 15 out of 54 in 3 seasons? That's pathetic tbh.

Hobart wrote:
    Completely wrong. Liverpool have struggled consistently against the top 3. From memory (and I'm open to correction here as I can't find a link) we have 1 point from 18 in the league against the top 3 in 2004/5, 9 out of 18 in 2005/6, and 5 out of 18 in 2006/2007. How is this doing well? A total of 15 out of 54 in 3 seasons? That's pathetic tbh.

What I said was,
    They played well against Chelsea, no doubt about that. Big deal, Liverpool always play well against the big teams, sure last season they played really well against United both times, how'd that go? Oh they lost, and they drew against Chelsea this year.

No problem playing well, problem getting results.

PHB wrote:
    What I said was,

No problem playing well, problem getting results.
    Explain then, or in comparison, have United "played well" this year, but just failed to get the results?

You are being pedantic tbh, if you think that Liverpool played well against the better teams, but somehow "mystically" failed to get the results, well then, the tooth fairy must be determining the results of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hobart wrote:
    Explain then, or in comparison, have United "played well" this year, but just failed to get the results?

You are being pedantic tbh, if you think that Liverpool played well against the better teams, but somehow "mystically" failed to get the results, well then, the tooth fairy must be determining the results of games.

..but we did...sure we were all on here last year saying how much we dominated United only to get beat by John O Shea's goal, same as we dominated Chelsea many many times but always get beat or draw (with the exception of when we beat them 2-0 and when they destroyed us scoring 4).

We dominate most big games, completely holding the midfield, but have lacked the incisive cutting edge to trouble the big teams in their box. This is what Yossi Babel and Torres were gotten for id imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Once the fixtures pile up, Liverpool will show whether they are capable or not. Its a good start, but how many times have Liverpool flattered to deceive against the lesser teams? One thing is for sure, the title race will be very exciting this season - although I expect it to be between United and Chelsea again once May rolls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

I think it will be very close this season. think liverpool have a great chance, chelsea are strong and always grind out results, dont think utd are looking great at the minute, they need to decide who they play in the middle carrick or hargreaves, because they looked crap together at the weekend. Arsenal could be an outside bet if van persie and fabregas stay fit, spurs gone at this stage.

Im hoping liverpool by a point or two, away fixtures are key though

Hobart wrote:

What Rebel said,
    We dominate most big games, completely holding the midfield, but have lacked the incisive cutting edge to trouble the big teams in their box.

Dominated but no real clear chances. Liverpool are better but also kinda toothless in those big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Im a liverpool fan and i have to admit that im more excited about this season than ive ever being even before it started!i feel something special is about to happen!!I think the addition of torres was the key this summer!hes already looking like a star without even time to settle in!hes pace reminds me of the athlete michael johnson.I think lpool will defo be close!

As for utd I personally dont think tevez suits man utd!they needed to bring in a guy whos goin be an out and out striker!tevez seems to be doin the rooney role!he looked lost yesterday and not worth the bother!time will tell and will also tell if rooney and tevez work well together or will one have to start on the bench..sorry tevez

Chelsea look vunerbable at the back this year!its like teams dont fear them anymore and im 100% sure that they will lose at home this year!very lucky vs portsmouth!

Arsenal will struggle to do any better than 4th!they look weak IMO.

GOING BE A GREAT SEASON ANYWAYS!!

My prediction
    1)Liverpool 88 points
    2)Chelsea 86 points
    3)Man Utd 84 points
    4)Arsenal 76 points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont know, they could be great this year, but imo they will flatter to decieve.. yet again.
    Chelsea for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i think come may any 1 of liverpool, chelsea and man u could still win it with only a point or 2 seperating the 3 of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement