Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris - why bother?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I am known to have a dislike of Toyota cars but I always give every car a chance before writing them off, so when the missus started on about an auto for herself I decided to give a 00 model a go as the choice is limited for small autos.
    Anyway - heres a few words about my experience.

I can't begin to say how disappointed I was in this car, the ride was harsh, the road noise was atrocious, it felt flimsy, both shutting the door and on the road, the steering was overly assisted and lifeless and the dash was a wall of cheap looking plastic. The only pluses I could find for it was it has funky dials and it feels roomy enough for a small car, but other than that I just don't get it.
    I couldn't imagine having to endure it for anything more than a short spin.
    By comparison the 00 punto we have is quieter, has better ride, has better steering feel (better weighted too) and handles fairly tidily too.( I didn't get much of a chance to try out the handling of the Yaris to be fair)
    I was always in favour of a blend of good dynamics and some character vs utter reliability but this car is not just devoid of character its awful, theres more to motoring than just reliability.
    I can't help feeling that maybe if people bought less of these type cars we'd develop more of an affection for motoring here!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This could get amusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

You were doing fine until you mentioned a fiat, has to be a wind up.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Sister got one recently and I'm less than impressed.
    The bonnet on the Yaris is too high and there was too much road noise.

Much preferred her 99 Micra which has a normal driving position and preferred my old '98 Punto to that even though I've moved on to much bigger and better since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

maybe the car was just a bit worn and tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

You were doing fine until you mentioned a fiat, has to be a wind up.
    :)

Whats that supposed to mean - Is it that just because Fiats are supposed to be unreliable they are deemed to be less able everywhere else?
    maidhc wrote:
    maybe the car was just a bit worn and tired?
    I'm afraid not 30k miles - owned by a little old lady ( but aren't they all :) ).
    What I am on about is not a symptom of poor condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Welcome to the wonderful world of cheap 1L engine cars.

The cheap frame i.e in a crash you're taking the brunt of it.
    Thin wheel base which means less grip especially with 4 or 5 in the car.
    Can't overtake.

On the plus you get:

cheap tax,
    good mpg
    and cheap(er) insurance.

I can't think of any 1L off the top of my head that is pretty decent. But you have to understand that the manufacturer has to make it as cheap as possible to compete while (just barely) passing the safety limits.

layke wrote:

Thin wheel base which means less grip especially with 4 or 5 in the car.
    Can't overtake.

On the plus you get:

cheap tax,
    good mpg
    and cheap(er) insurance.

I can't think of any 1L off the top of my head that is pretty decent. But you have to understand that the manufacturer has to make it as cheap as possible to compete while (just barely) passing the safety limits.

I don't buy it, their competitors manage to make cars that don't feel like biscuit tins on a rollerskate why can't they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

RobAMerc wrote:
    I don't buy it, their competitors manage to make cars that don't feel like biscuit tins on a rollerskate why can't they ?

What competitors is that exactly? The previous edition of the punto was a disaster like the one before that, and ive never in my life heard people mention the build quality, reliability and handling/performance in a good light until now. I suppose you get all sorts on here...

Someone mentioned earlier youre talking about a 1 litre engined car that costs chips to build and buy, if you want the build quality of a merc buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Expectations > wallet ?

cpoh1 wrote:
    What competitors is that exactly? The previous edition of the punto was a disaster like the one before that, and ive never in my life heard people mention the build quality, reliability and handling/performance in a good light until now. I suppose you get all sorts on here...
    I think if you read my post I said "the ride was harsh, the road noise was atrocious, it felt flimsy, both shutting the door and on the road, the steering was overly assisted and lifeless and the dash was a wall of cheap looking plastic." - I never said the build quality was bad did I.

Also, I think you are confusing the reliability horrors you've heard about the Punto with the cars actual ability, which is way beyond that of the Yaris in the areas I mentioned.

To get away from this being a Punto bashing exercise the Fiesta is also far better than the Yaris dynamically as are I imagine most of its competitors.
    cpoh1 wrote:
    Someone mentioned earlier youre talking about a 1 litre engined car that costs chips to build and buy, if you want the build quality of a merc buy one.
    And as I said before my point is if Ford and Fiat can build a car thats better in these areas why is everyone talking about how great the Yaris is - just because its reliable ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

layke wrote:
    I can't think of any 1L off the top of my head that is pretty decent.

If my my Toyota Aygo had ears, I'd be covering them now!

2005 Top Gear car of the year (shared with the Bugatti Veyron :D )

Churchy wrote:
    Expectations > wallet ?

That makes no sense, because my expectations were based on experience gained from its competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

layke wrote:

A good few current superminis score 4 or 5 star on the ncap.

http://www.euroncap.com/supermini.aspx

Quite a few around 00 were 4 star. (CLio/Punto/206/Fabia and funnily enough the 00 Yaris), Large family cars ( s60/Mondeo/75/Accord) got the same at the time.

for the record, ireally didnt like the Yaris when I drove one for the ignition course (would have been around 99-00)

Robamerc, opinions are like arseholes, everbodies got one. Youre entitled to your opinion but its a gas the way nigh on every professional car journalist out there thinks the opposite to you.

If you think the punto and fiesta are better cars go away and buy one, was there really a need to start a thread about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What does herself think of the car? It's a cheap car aimed at city drivers, also are the Fiesta's not bigger engined?

When I see 1 old lady owner I'd run away from the thing. Only driven to mass and the shops at 10mph in 5th gear and hitting ever curb on the way, the things do be knackered but for some reason people think they are good. Give me a car owned by someone who knows how to drive, but not rally it any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Del2005 wrote:

When I see 1 old lady owner I'd run away from the thing. Only driven to mass and the shops at 10mph in 5th gear
    It's automatic.....

cpoh1 wrote:
    Robamerc, opinions are like arseholes, everbodies got one. Youre entitled to your opinion but its a gas the way nigh on every professional car journalist out there thinks the opposite to you.

Really ? Can you quote any who think the Yaris is the best small car available for anything other than reliability ?
    What publications do you read regularly that backs your claims up ?
    cpoh1 wrote:
    If you think the punto and fiesta are better cars go away and buy one, was there really a need to start a thread about it?

Isn't ruffling a few feathers by pointing out a Punto is a nicer car to drive than a Yaris and getting a bit of a debate going better than the usual, "How do I put water in my washer bottle" stuff thats normally on boards - or do you find they stretch your technical knowledge enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Del2005 wrote:
    What does herself think of the car? It's a cheap car aimed at city drivers, also are the Fiesta's not bigger engined?

The Yaris being auto, I expect it's a 1.3 and not a 1.0, open to correction on that though. the SMG (I think it was called[manual with no clutch pedal]) was available in 1.0 at the time if memory serves correct. Colm??

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Driving position in the Yaris is like sitting on a toilet - horrid car imo. Fiesta anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris had option of conventional auto on the 1.3, MMT on 1.0 and 1.3 and conventional auto on jap imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

RobAMerc wrote:
    I am known to have a dislike of Toyota cars but I always give every car a chance before writing them off, so when the missus started on about an auto for herself I decided to give a 00 model a go as the choice is limited for small autos.
    Anyway - heres a few words about my experience.

I can't begin to say how disappointed I was in this car, the ride was harsh, the road noise was atrocious, it felt flimsy, both shutting the door and on the road, the steering was overly assisted and lifeless and the dash was a wall of cheap looking plastic. The only pluses I could find for it was it has funky dials and it feels roomy enough for a small car, but other than that I just don't get it.
    I couldn't imagine having to endure it for anything more than a short spin.
    By comparison the 00 punto we have is quieter, has better ride, has better steering feel (better weighted too) and handles fairly tidily too.( I didn't get much of a chance to try out the handling of the Yaris to be fair)
    I was always in favour of a blend of good dynamics and some character vs utter reliability but this car is not just devoid of character its awful, theres more to motoring than just reliability.
    I can't help feeling that maybe if people bought less of these type cars we'd develop more of an affection for motoring here!

I fully agree with you. I've had experience with both cars, and although I despise Fiats for their reliability, or lack thereof (the Punto I drove had endless faults, including the obligatory head-gasket), I found the punto to be much better drive (when it worked). It was more comfortable, quieter and more nimble. I couldn't believe how 'high' the driving position felt in the Yaris. The roll when cornering was unreal. It felt like I was sitting in (or on) a bus. Also, the Yaris on a motorway in windy conditions is an experience. I know most small cars sway a little but the punto felt more planted at high speeds. In fairness to the Yaris, it hasn't given one bit of trouble.

Wouldn't it be nice if Fiat and Toyota merged their expertise to create a comfortable/nippy/quiet car that never broke down :)

I've always thought that if Toyota/Honda could put their engines, electrics & reliability into an Alfa body, t'would be a great seller. Bring on the "Alfa VTEC" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I actually have a Yaris (a '05 one) and it's actually given me no problems at all ... the only problem was one day I got a flat tyre!! So if all I'm getting is a flat tyre once in two years then I'm happy :)

It's good on the ol fuel consumption as well and it's grand for a small car. Tiz my first car now and I would like to move up to a better car at some stage (i.e. a MINI oh yah!) but it's doing me grand for the time being.

Plus I like the digital speedometer thingy :)
    dcGT wrote:
    Also, the Yaris on a motorway in windy conditions is an experience.
    Oh totally agree with you there, it's some experience alright!!! Tiz brutal!!! One day I felt like the car was gonna blow over to the other side of the motorway twas so windy! A bit scary actually :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

tinkerbell wrote:
    I would like to move up to a better car at some stage (i.e. a MINI oh yah!

Not much of an improvement TBH

Isn't it amazing that people who probably have no experience of either car come on here calling me nuts because I think a Fiat amongst others are a nicer car than a Toyota ?

Just goes to show that as far as alot of boardies are concerned Fiat = sh*te and Toyota = good, but they have nothing to base their opinions on other than they hear Fiats break down and Toyotas don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Well i have experience of both and i completely disagree with you. Missus had a punto and has had two Yaris since. Absolutely no comparison. Punto was a96 and gave numerous probs with only 30000 on the clock. Head gasket blew of course after the thermostat stuck. Constantly had to change electrical componets like transmitter switches etc. and blew bulbs like it was getting kickbacks from the bulb manufacturers. It was also an absolute dog to drive.

The yaris isnt exactly a ferrari but it does what it was bought for unlike the punto

Paulzx wrote:
    Well i have experience of both and i completely disagree with you. Missus had a punto and has had two Yaris since. Absolutely no comparison. Punto was a96 and gave numerous probs with only 30000 on the clock. Head gasket blew of course after the thermostat stuck. Constantly had to change electrical componets like transmitter switches etc. and blew bulbs like it was getting kickbacks from the bulb manufacturers. It was also an absolute dog to drive.

The yaris isnt exactly a ferrari but it does what it was bought for unlike the punto

OK firstly your totally missing the point of my argument - I admitted the punto is not as reliable as the toyota - but there is more to driving a car than just reliability.
    Secondly your not comparing like with like - a 96 punto cannot compare with a Yaris as the Yaris came out in 99 - therefore would be compared with the next generation of Punto to yours. My punto is 1.3 and the Yaris 1.0 so I deliberately left out any mention of performance in my OP as it would be unfair to the Yaris.
    thirdly - its a dog to drive isn't exactly a good description of what was wrong with it (to drive), compared to the effort you put into telling us how much it broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Going slightly off topic but my sis has had 3 new puntos since '99. Now if they were a troublesome car I don't think she would have gone back to them. Look at the new Grande Punto. Biggish well equiped interiour for small money. People in Ireland have to come out of the seventies some cars aren't as bad as they uesd to be. I tell you one thing the car companies know how to rip us off. The expensive popular small cars ie VW, Toyota sell very well but are soooooooo bland with very few extras. Cheaper cars with poorer reputation ie Fiat sell better equiped better looking cars. With the exception of the Multipla that thing is rotten IMO:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've driven ~20k in both the older and newer style-Puntos, and an '02 Yaris.. and both of the Puntos had extremely worrying levels of body roll as well, it's by no means the sturdy ride it's portrayed as here compared to the Yaris.

You have to remember what these types of cars are designed and built for... that is city and urban driving, not pelting down the M1 or sideways down a country road. And at that task (urban driving) the Yaris simply is outstanding, great unobstructed views (although the seating is a tad too high for me, but I'm 6ft+), nimble and extremely easy to steer at low speeds, a well-designed interior with a lot of storage, and for a car which is much smaller than the Punto, it has the exact same space if not more leg-room for passengers (front & rear)... good bit less luggace space though.
    Without meaning to be sexist, it really is a fantastic woman's town/city run-around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

RobAMerc wrote:
    Just goes to show that as far as alot of boardies are concerned Fiat = sh*te and Toyota = good, but they have nothing to base their opinions on other than they hear Fiats break down and Toyotas don't.

My mother had a 99 model. It had endless engine problems. Lots of my mates have heavily modded Toyotas and hear sweet FA about engine problems. That's what I base my opinons on.

• Advertisement

What exactly are you buying a car like a punto or yaris for? To drive the beans out of on backroads and sit back and admire its lush interior while boasting of its performance capabilities? Or maybe just maybe you are buying a reliable, economical, cheap to insure little hatch that will get you from A to B and not give you a days trouble.

If its the latter then a yaris is the one to buy, a female friend has had one from new back in 2000 and bar servicing it for €80 worth of parts that I put in for her and spending on tyres every 2 years the car has never missed a beat. if I want a decent handling car ill buy one that is designed to do just that, not a bloody punto. After doing over a dozen punto head gaskets in my friends garage over the years in cars less than 4 years old I know what my money would be on.

And I wouldnt agree about the handling and ride of the punto being superior comments either, but thats down to personal preference. The reliability I am sure of.

Advertisement