Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with wireless at home

• 27-08-2007 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am currently living in a four story terraced house and i have a belkin router. The problem is that the router is in the basement and only covers half the house. Is there anything i can buy that will increase the range of the router or the something that receives a signal and then bounces it on even further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm wondering about this too. I have the router installed in a downstairs shop, I can get the signal good enough to surf but the fella that's sharing the cost of broadband with me can barely get the signal and is constantly losing the signal.

I was thinking that if I bought another router and put that in my flat would that boost the signal up to his flat upstairs? But I saw that Dell have a wireless network extender on their website which makes me think the router wont extend the signal just create another network.

Or would a bigger antenna do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Wireless reception can be patchy. I'd personally go for an ethernet-over-powerline solution. You get a kit of two adapters. Plug one into an electrical outlet near the router and connect it to the router. Plug the second one into a socket near the other PC and then connect an ethernet cable from that to a PC or switch.

I don't think that will work for me. I'm not sure but I'd expect that all the apartments are seperated because we get seperate electricity bills. I've already bought all the wireless kit aswell so don't want to shell out for a completely new system. I think I'll go for that extender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ScumLord wrote:
    I don't think that will work for me. I'm not sure but I'd expect that all the apartments are seperated because we get seperate electricity bills. I've already bought all the wireless kit aswell so don't want to shell out for a completely new system. I think I'll go for that extender
    Wireless is probably the best way to go in that case. I haven't used an entender myself as I've been lucky to have a strong enough signal. I use an ethernet bridge for this though.

To answer your question in your previous post, adding anothing router would create another network. Perhaps putting it in bridge mode with a wired connection to the other router would make it act in the way you want however but this is hardly the best approach when you could get an extender.

Ya the extenders expensive though (€80), I've ordered a bigger antena so hopefully that should do the the trick. It's only a 2mb broadband connection so if I can get him up just above that it will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Usual warning : belkin are not the best thing in the world at all . Anyway , if its easy enough to do , get an Access Point ( not a router) , plant it upstairs and run a network cable up to it.
    If not get a netgear router and AP , they can do that range extending thing . Running a cable up to the AP upstairs is better though ( or use the ethernet-over-powerline yokies) since they are half duplex.

Advertisement