Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business English teaching 1-1

• 27-08-2007 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just looking for advice on teaching business english on a one to one basis.
    I'm using mostly resources taken from Onestopenglish.com at the moment but they're running thin. in my case im teaching a businessman who is mostly interested in spoken business english particularly in relation to meetings (with bank managers, accountants), contract/leases terminology and some general day to day business english.
    I'm looking for advice on how to approach lessons and a place where i could get resources (from the internet) or any reccomendations of good text books that people have used. I've looked at business english books such as market leader / intelligent business and these dont seem to be appropriate.
    so any suggestions would be welcome. The students level is lower intermediate...
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lower Intermediate students need work on core areas of grammar and other parts of language as well. You can explain this to your student. You could divide the class into General/Specific sections . Consider using the BBC website and even stories from local newspapers. As for books,well McMillan and Longman have tended towards that type of material. You could also look at books that are specifically designed for Cambridge BEC(Business English Certificates). Look at Summertown Publishing - Pass Cambridge BEC Preliminary Student's Book. Preliminary is at the right level for your student.

I notice you didn't mention writing. This is something else that you could do work on, emails, formal writing etc.
    Dictation can be useful as well especially with numbers and problem letters.
    Quick and easy.

Advertisement