Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience

Options
  • 27-08-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Anyone know where would be a good place to look to some web designing experience. I have built a few websites myself during college and these are on my CV but would like to create websites for businesses and the likes to add to my portfolio and a website of my own.

I have experience in:
    HTML
    PHP and Open Source Application like Joomla,Moodle,OSCommerce
    Visual Studion.Net

And have a good ability to pick up languages quickly.

On a side note does anybody know where I could get Cheap or Free hosting to display my college projects. 1 is php with Postgresql, 1 is php with mysql and one is Visual Studio with Sql server express and another is Visual Studio with Sql server.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

nellyshark wrote:
    Anyone know where would be a good place to look to some web designing experience. I have built a few websites myself during college and these are on my CV but would like to create websites for businesses and the likes to add to my portfolio and a website of my own.

I have experience in:
    HTML
    Visual Studion.Net

On a side note does anybody know where I could get Cheap or Free hosting to display my college projects. 1 is php with Postgresql, 1 is php with mysql and one is Visual Studio with Sql server express and another is Visual Studio with Sql server.

Go to dreamhost.com and use code RIDE97 Cheapest you will get with free domain. My site is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

nellyshark wrote:

I have experience in:
    HTML
    Visual Studion.Net

Hi Nelly

I would suggest doing freebies for societies and clubs and stuff like that just to build up your portfolio. Failing that make up a few corporate sites for existing companies just to get your practice in and take a few screen shots for your portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Haven't heard much about them but they were mentioned in another forum:
    superfreehosting.info

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

TheGooner wrote:
    Hi Nelly

I would suggest doing freebies for societies and clubs and stuff like that just to build up your portfolio. Failing that make up a few corporate sites for existing companies just to get your practice in and take a few screen shots for your portfolio.

I was thinking of doing something like that but I can't ask any local clubs because I'd be far too associated with them. Is there anywhere you know where I could place an advert looking for clubs needing websites?

nellyshark wrote:
    I was thinking of doing something like that but I can't ask any local clubs because I'd be far too associated with them. Is there anywhere you know where I could place an advert looking for clubs needing websites?

Look at the drop down menu second in from the top of your page.
    Adverts.ie

Also, Some guy pm'ed me yesterday wondering if I'd be willing to do a site for his band. At the moment I've 3 projects in the pipelines so if you want I could direct him to you.

I don't think hes looking for anything major. Anyway, just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

nellyshark wrote:

You could try adverts.ie

What age are you? You could get a couple of weeks experience in a studio, company. You could do this voluntarily, just to be there taking it in. Experience and portfolio are invaluable.

TheGooner wrote:
    You could try adverts.ie

What age are you? You could get a couple of weeks experience in a studio, company. You could do this voluntarily, just to be there taking it in. Experience and portfolio are invaluable.

Only 21 and just after finishing an e-Business Degree in the last few months. Im probably gonna do another course soon so anything I do will be part-time in my own time. Might ask around a few of the companies to take me on

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

DJB wrote:
    *sticks thumb up in appreciative manner*

Seachmall
    Asm him/her to PM me n Ill see

nellyshark wrote:
    *sticks thumb up in appreciative manner*

Seachmall
    Asm him/her to PM me n Ill see

I've sent him a pm so you should here from him soon.

Re: Digiweb.

I have used digiweb in the past (not this package) and found them to be awful in all aspects of web, from hosting to broadband. There support team is crap too. In my oppinion, stay far far away. Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

why don't you just look up the job sites for graduate roles in web development?

why don't you just look up the job sites for graduate roles in web development?

Mainly because I want experience and not a full time job working for someone else. Also I want to know the whole situation, hosting, accounts, recommendations, legal aspect, etc of it rather than the development only and the best way for this is designing myself. Ideally Id build up a portfolio , learn from my mistakes ;) whilst doing some sort of further education and or a job.

Ambitious I know :D

To start I have bought a domain name. Another quick question, I own my domain registered by letshost.ie, I have various sites on x10hosting.com for free, to mess around with, can I use my free hosting from x10 and apply my domain name i.e. use x10's free hosting for my domain name?

This is done by changing the name server? Does it take long to register my Domain with DNS?

Thank for the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You *might* get some work over on http://www.creativeireland.com

Stress on *might*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'm not sure why you don't want to work in a company. You'll learn far more in from people who know what they're doing than trying to figure out everything yourself by trial and error.

You sound like you're going down the route of a developer, so a portfolio of work isn't all that important, as you're not a designer. You should try get in touch with a designer who's in your position, (As mentioned, creativeireland.com would be a good place to find someone like that) and team up with them and put the word out to friends and relatives that you're taking on work.

I'd still advise getting a proper job, focusing on one core technology, and learning that really well. That will make you far more employable than knowing lots of things poorly.

All the best!

:D Thanks P.

Thanks for the info, might do what you suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

No reason why you can't do both. Perhaps get a part time job to develop your skills and earn some money, and also build up your own business and meet contacts who could give you work as a self-employed developer?

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    No reason why you can't do both. Perhaps get a part time job to develop your skills and earn some money, and also build up your own business and meet contacts who could give you work as a self-employed developer?

Just a quick question. Do self-employed developers have to be registered? By this I mean do they have to register a/their company?

Ideally I would like a situation where I could work part time at both i.e. work for a development/design company and do my own development/design in my own time, whilst contuning some form of further education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

nellyshark wrote:
    Just a quick question. Do self-employed developers have to be registered? By this I mean do they have to register a/their company?

Ideally I would like a situation where I could work part time at both i.e. work for a development/design company and do my own development/design in my own time, whilst contuning some form of further education.

You can register for VAT and work as a sole trader.

Advertisement