Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox controllers on a PC

• 27-08-2007 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so got a new laptop the other day, want to be able to play stuff like madden & stuff on it, so obviously i'll need a controller of some sort... I've heard that the XBox 360 controller is perfect for computers too, is there anything you need to get to make it work? Like do I need to buy an adapter between the USB socket and the XBox controller? Or anything like that?

Or is there any other options? (I'm using Vista)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

i bought a xbox wireless controller for my pc

works with vista and is made for computers i got it for about 50 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

papu wrote:
    i bought a xbox wireless controller for my pc

works with vista and is made for computers i got it for about 50 euros
    erm... the wireless controller won't work unless you also buy a wireless receiver seperately...

get the wired controller, it plugs straight into a usb port on your pc with no adapters needed, and is picked up automatically under vista (and comes with a driver disc if you're using xp)

the 360 controller is a joy to use, i'd say at this stage it is almost my favourite console joypad ever... the fact that it works on pcs is a nice bonus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you already have a 360 wireless controller you can use the play & charge cable to hook it up to your PC. The cable is a standard USB cable.

Stephen wrote:
    If you already have a 360 wireless controller you can use the play & charge cable to hook it up to your PC. The cable is a standard USB cable.
    The play and charge cable only supplies power, it doesn't turn the wireless pad into a wired one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

oh? bugger. It does that on the 360 :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have a wired controller myself, plug it in and windows does all the behind the scenes driver instalation. Cant go wrong. Now... How do i get a 6-axis working on the pc :?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Bought the wired 360 controller, it works a treat, just plugged it into the usb port and off it went... Used it in the new Madden, it picked up all the right buttons, so it had A, B, X, Y etc. in it.

Used it as well in the new EA Rugby game, worked right, but didn't pick up the controls (as in it had everything labelled 1,2,3,4 not A,B,X,Y) but that's ok...

Some buttons don't work though (clicking down on the sticks is one...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Head over to microsoft, they have a driver for the Xbox 360 controller. Worked a dream from me.

XBOX 360 Controller Driver:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=pk_xbox_cont&os=xpsp1&lang=en&driverVersion=Download%20XBox%20360%20Controller%20for%20Windows

This driver will work with the wireless one too, here's the instructions for those who don't know what to do:

To connect the wireless controller to a computer that is running Windows XP SP2, or a later version of Windows, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold down the Xbox Guide button until the controller turns on. The Xbox Guide button is the round button with the green "X" near the center of the controller.

2. Make sure that the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows is plugged in to your computer.

3. Press and release the small round connect button on the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.

4. Press and release the connect button on the controller. The connect button is the small button on the front edge of the controller.

5. The Ring of Light on the controller will rotate and flash one time, and the light on the Wireless Gaming Receiver will flash. When a connection is established, the Ring of Light on the controller will remain lit and indicate the position in which the controller is connected.

tman wrote:
    erm... the wireless controller won't work unless you also buy a wireless receiver seperately...

get the wired controller, it plugs straight into a usb port on your pc with no adapters needed, and is picked up automatically under vista (and comes with a driver disc if you're using xp)

the 360 controller is a joy to use, i'd say at this stage it is almost my favourite console joypad ever... the fact that it works on pcs is a nice bonus :)

its a 360 controller FOR THE PC

it came with a dongle drivers and windows vista logos all over the thing.

ph61cj3.th.jpg

Yo paps, Where did ye get that yoke. We dont even have them in the store here in microsoft.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    Yo paps, Where did ye get that yoke. We dont even have them in the store here in microsoft.
    quinn computers in kilkenny was like 50 yoyo's i think , il find out a price for you if you want , or suppliers?

papu wrote:
    its a 360 controller FOR THE PC

it came with a dongle drivers and windows vista logos all over the thing.

ph61cj3.th.jpg
    Cool, apologies for that then... it was the first that I'd heard of a bundle like that...
    dulpit wrote:
    Some buttons don't work though (clicking down on the sticks is one...)
    That's weird, every button on it should work perfectly...
    try going into the control panel, then game controllers and going into the properties for the 360 controller there, you should be able to test if all of the buttons are functional here. (they appear as button 9 and 10 on mine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

tman wrote:
    That's weird, every button on it should work perfectly...
    try going into the control panel, then game controllers and going into the properties for the 360 controller there, you should be able to test if all of the buttons are functional here. (they appear as button 9 and 10 on mine)

Will do, I was only playing with it for like 10 minutes last night, i'll have a good look this evening after work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Grrr! :mad:

Where I live sucks. Nobody has the wired controllers for sale. Only the wireless. Was told I could easily use a normal X-Box controller, just splice a USB connection onto it. I would if only I had my soldering iron with me.

use komplett.ie it will be with you by the end of the week.

Anti wrote:
    use komplett.ie it will be with you by the end of the week.

Was thinking of that alright. Though I am heading into Dublin tomorrow. Might see if I can pick one up then. I was just being lazy today. That and I live about 45 minutes from town by train. Cheers Anti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Was thinking of getting this adaptor.

This plus the controller is about €65. Where'd you get that combo papu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 seanspokes

Soundman wrote:
    Grrr! :mad:

Where I live sucks. Nobody has the wired controllers for sale. Only the wireless. Was told I could easily use a normal X-Box controller, just splice a USB connection onto it. I would if only I had my soldering iron with me.

That's what I did for roms n the like. A generous dose of duct tape does the job, hasn't stopped working yet after a few months. You'll need the Xbox controller drivers too:
    http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

Works perfectly, even vibration works fine for games that can handle it.

seanspokes wrote:
    That's what I did for roms n the like. A generous dose of duct tape does the job, hasn't stopped working yet after a few months. You'll need the Xbox controller drivers too:
    http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

Works perfectly, even vibration works fine for games that can handle it.

Cheers. Think I got it sorted. Windows now sees it as an XBCD XBox controller. Will check it out for games in a few minutes. Only problem now is I don't have a controller for my X-box, though I haven't played that in over 6months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 seanspokes

Soundman wrote:
    Cheers. Think I got it sorted. Windows now sees it as an XBCD XBox controller. Will check it out for games in a few minutes. Only problem now is I don't have a controller for my X-box, though I haven't played that in over 6months.

I spliced it just where it connects to the xbox, so I can take off the little lead and put on a regular xbox one and use it for both.

• Advertisement

It installed it and said that it recognised it properly. Now in Device Manager it just sees it as a Generic USB Hub. No amount of pfaffing about with drivers seems to sort it.

Hmmmm... All seems to be working well in the XBCD Configuration utility. Trying to get it working with the Bioshock Demo to see if it would be worthwhile getting the full game but I still can't seem to set it up for it. Is it just that the Demo has that function locked or is the controller not being recognised by the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Hey,

i use an xbox360 controller for my pc. Works great for GTA4.

I just got Modern Warfare and it doesnt work. I guess this is becouse it isn't a Windows Live game.

Anybody got a workaround for this??

Advertisement