Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auto Rifle of Pistol calibre

Options
  • 27-08-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I have another Question. Hopefully it doesnt go the way of the last thread.

As a Licenced pistol owner are you allowed to purchase and licence a semi-automatic rifle of the same caliber?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

You can purchase whatever you like, whether you get a licence is another matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

slugster wrote:
    I have another Question. Hopefully it doesnt go the way of the last thread.

As a Licenced pistol owner are you allowed to purchase and licence a semi-automatic rifle of the same caliber?

If you mean can you get another gun of the same caliber based on your existing licence then no. Each firearm is a new licence and new application regardless of the caliber and existing licences.

In some cases you can swap one firearm for another within the same caliber without a whole new reapplication but its at the Gardaís discrection I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

What I ment was, since a licence can be obtained for a semi-automatic pistol, could another/seperate licence be obtained for a semi-automatic rifle either same calibre or not.

What I'm getting at is can a semi automatic rifle be licenced in this country, and apologies if this has been asked before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

slugster wrote:
    What I ment was, since a licence can be obtained for a semi-automatic pistol, could another/seperate licence be obtained for a semi-automatic rifle either same calibre or not.

What I'm getting at is can a semi automatic rifle be licenced in this country, and apologies if this has been asked before.
    Yes of course, I own a .22 Semi Auto rifle. Got a licence no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You might find it a lot more akward getting a licence for a semi-auto centrefire rifle, but if the superintendent is willing to issue the cert, it's perfectly legal.
    There are already a few semi-auto centrefires out there in calibres a lot heavier than the pistol calibres you'd see used in gallery rifle, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Slugster,

Been away on a weekend break, just saw your post.

Yes, you can apply for, and if successfull own a semi auto rifle. I have a small .22lr, my friend has a semi .223, all kitted out, a fantastic AR15 and I have seen and fired a semi auto .308 down in my club.

If you have a good enough reason for having one and if your Super approves it, no problems.

Regards,

V Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

A semi auto rifle/carbine in pistol cailber to me sounds something like a HK MP5 gun equivalent. If that's what you have in mind not sure if you could convince the Super that you've a good reason for one of those as they're designed for a specific task.

I doubt you'd get a cert for an MP5 (and I don't think they can be legally sold to anyone outside the military or police, though maybe the semi-auto only version might be); but gallery rifle in the UK uses rifles in pistol calibres, some semi-auto and some lever-action types, and that's an enormously popular discipline there, and it seems to be taking off here as well (though last I heard they were still working with .22lr rifles because there weren't many .38 rifles about). So there is a good reason for wanting that kind of thing.

Iv shot .38 leaver on an indoor range here. Great rifle to shoot and I could see how gallery would be popular with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i know of a semi hk-5 licenced in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

When you say if you have a good enough reason, would target shooting suffice? I can't see one being necessary for Irish game (please correct me if i'm wrong) or would one have to have a military/ law enforcement background to get such a license?

IronWolf wrote:
    one have to have a military/ law enforcement background to get such a license?

Dosn't seem to make much of a differnace to them if you do but dependant on the super like all things.

When you say if you have a good enough reason, would target shooting suffice?
    Yes. I'd take some time to put together some printed material on gallery rifle and the club you're in and their facilities and your security arrangements, and I'd probably give them to the garda a while before coming in to fill out the form if there was a history of the idontlikedelookadat rule being applied though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 slugster

Thanks lads for your help, I was in a London gun club for a number of years which had a second Club house on the Bisley grounds, we shot many disciplines including Gallery rifle and I must say it was good fun especially the turkey shoot.:D

I have an interest in a 223 calibre semi auto rifle more so than a larger calibre.

I think there is a better sense of achievement shooting a 303 or 308 from and iron sight enfield.

The rifle I was eyeing up was the Sig 550 Sniper. Can this be purchased on the civilian market in Europe or can it be purchased from the U.S.?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

It's the Sig 550 Sport (according to SIG website) not Sniper. Use that word on your application and etc etc. The shorter 551 is sometimes called the 551 SWAT but Sig list them all as 'Sport'.

The 550 has a 500mm barrel which should help with getting a licence.

Try Oberland Arms in Germany. www.oberlandarms.comm

They do mostly their own ARs but I think they are also an agent for Sig.

Please PM me how you get on with quote (should be about €2,200ish) and with application. I'm thinking of one of these or a HK SL8 myself !

Good Luck

Advertisement