Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being able to see, but not connect to unsecured networks

• 27-08-2007 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I've been moving about a bit and Ive been coming across wireless networks that are appearing as open access, but when I try to connect it just times out. Is there a way of getting around this? The only reason for this that I could think of was that maybe whoever owns the router was putting a limit on how many computers could connect at a time? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

They could be filtering access by MAC address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Sean_K wrote:
    They could be filtering access by MAC address

Not sure what that means. Is there any way to get around it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mac Address

Em yes, it is possible to spoof a MAC address with some technical knowledge, a google goes a long way.

Do you have permission from the owner of the access point to use it, because otherwise you may be breaking the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Not sure, but could it be that you see other wifi cards in stead of Access points?

In general, if you connect to those, you are connected but nothing happens, as there is no routing. Ad-hoc networking it is called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The network could be far enough way that you can see it, however, given the distance, connecting to them is unreliable/impossible. Some networks will seem open, but will need some form of subscription (i.e. hotspots).

If they are using MAC addressing, you should interpret that as a signal that they do not want people stealing their bandwidth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement