Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cant connnect but can see network

• 27-08-2007 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Bit of a problem with a wireless network in the office.

I have set up public wireless access to the Internet on one of our wireless routers. At the moment it's just encrypted using WEP.

The router is connected to the firewall via a DMZ so any wireless connections are on a different IP range to the rest of the LAN users. the Wireless connection is set to get an IP address via DHCP. the problem is that on one office laptop it works fine and can connect great. on the other it wont.

I can see the connection no problem on my list of networks, strength is grand coz I'm beside the think but for the life of me it wont connect. did IP config /all and on the wireless nic on the laptop i got an IP in the 169 range (private ip range) even if i release all IP addresses and renew i still get a private IP and not one wirelessly from the DHCP server.

This connection is for clients to connect to when they visit the office so they can collect email etc. anyone any ideas what's up? obviously i need the IPs to be given out dynamically.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Im guessin the ip you got was 169.254.somethin.somethin? Not a private ip but the windows default address

Have you tried to access the wireless network with the encryption disabled? And checked that the settings in the network connections are set to dynamic ip address/dns etc?

Also make sure the adaptor in your comp aint set to wpa-psk as you said the router is set to wep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

yeah the windows default IP is what i get.

I haven't looked at the router settings coz to my knowledge nothing has changed since it was set up and as i said one laptop had no problem connecting to it. but I'll give it a go and see if something changed in relation to the DHCP settings on that router.

the wireless settings on laptop 2 are set to DHCP. I have a second router at the other end of the building for employees and i can connect to that no problem so i don't think its the laptop. when i tried to connect to the client router i was just asked for the encryption key so i put it in but couldn't connect.

I'll double check the router today to make sure nothing was changes in my absence.

Advertisement