Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with 8600 cards ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The reason people don't recommend them that much is because they don't perform much better than the 7600 which is the card the 8600 replaces. The 7900 you have linked there should be a good bit better than an 8600. I'd go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Everything AlmightyCushion said is spot on but given the price of the 7900GS they are slightly better alternatives either the x1950Pro (which Komplett don't stock at that price) or the 8600GTS which performs the same as the X1950Pro/7900GS but the 8600 will have better image quality and definitely fair better in newer games than the 7900GS will.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334404

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Right I went for the 512mb saphire x1950 pro ..but get this I bought it in........PC World .........for €149.99 . same price as online without the delivery charge and wait .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

What if you want to use DX10 features?
    I was going to get the overclocked 8600GTS XXX from XFX, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334590

It got some great reviews, and considering the card I have now is an AGP X800Pro, I'd still be doing well for a quieter and less power consuming card than the cheapest 8800 GTS!
    (once I have my other components bought too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Well the DX10 didn't really come into my decision making as I don't have Vista and won't have it for the foreseeable future .

• Advertisement
Advertisement