Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New vodafone data add on

• 27-08-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Ooops !! Sorry for the bum steer ,
    just got off the phone to vodafone and finally got talking to some one who appears to know what he was on about ( took 3 attempts incl people in data support ) this add on ONLY works thru Live! apn
    not thru the hs /vodafone.isp.ie ,
    they reserve the right to restrict VOIP etc and can't guarantee if vnc , ftp, streaming etc will work, he does reckon email, https should work.

Was told yesterday by customer service that it was Totally unrestricted and would work thru hs /vodafone.isp.ie.
    Looks like back to me business works data add on ( 50MB for 9.99 a month)

fyi just saw this on breaking news
    Vodafone launches mobile internet service

From tomorrow Vodafone's 3G and 2.5G customers will be able to surf the web for a fee of 99 cent per day or €9.99 per month subject to "fair usage" price caps.

With the new system, entitled Mobile Internet, users will have access to popular websites such as Google, MySpace, eBay and YouTube on their mobile phones. The new system allows for the compression and rearranging of web content in order to make it mobile phone-friendly.

Carolan Lennon, consumer director of Vodafone Ireland said today in a statement: "Vodafone Mobile Internet will revolutionise the way our customers experience the Internet."

"We looked at the best on the web and we have signed up global partnerships with our customers' favourite internet sites to give them a unique Mobile Internet experience.":mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Interesting, this is what i've been waiting for (about to switch to 3) from vodafone. i wonder what their "fair usage policy" would mean, eg 2GB like 3 and their "unlimited" addon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Well it says its another partnership deal and that they have reformated for the mobile space. So that probably means that providers such as Google YouTube etc have some financial deal with Voda. So I think it may be another walled garden (well maybe a walled valley!) Still better than nothin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

old news
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20551379023
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055127375
    http://www.vodafone.ie/livepricing/index.jsp

BUT apparently you can't use for AFT, Opera Mini, Gmail etc

This new pricing represents a massive price increase - Connect to Vodafone live page by pressing the wrong button and you're hit for 15cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53803866&postcount=11

this "new" vodafone offer is a regressive joke.
    its not a data add on if you can't access the data you want!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

quintron wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53803866&postcount=11

this "new" vodafone offer is a regressive joke.
    its not a data add on if you can't access the data you want!!!

This is what i fear as well.

I thought the 9.99 add-on was a decent option until i heard all this.

Vodafone's CURRENT data add-ons are admittedly small but at least you can use them properly e.g for pop email etc.

I fear though vf might be "doing a three" with this more generous offer and piling on a heap of caveats to use it.

Anyone know what you can and can't use with these new add-ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 digitalsnap

It's very disappointing to read that the 500MB option cannot be used outside of Live! pages/for 'normal' internet usage.

I have a N95 and want to get a data add on but the existing 15 and 25MB options are quite small and are also overpriced in my opinion. The €75 for 500MB data option is just too crazy for me to even think about. Have there been any rumours, etc that the data add on options may change anytime soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

16hill16 wrote:
    fyi just saw this on breaking news
    The new system allows for the compression and rearranging of web content in order to make it mobile phone-friendly.

Sounds very much like 3's awful proxy that is now thankfully history. Though I don't think Vodafone could screw that up as badly as 3 could, it still makes the service pretty useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

nazoil wrote:
    old news
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20551379023
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055127375
    http://www.vodafone.ie/livepricing/index.jsp

BUT apparently you can't use for AFT, Opera Mini, Gmail etc

This new pricing represents a massive price increase - Connect to Vodafone live page by pressing the wrong button and you're hit for 15cent.
    Thanks for letting us know- that's really sh*te! All i'd be using is opera and is that's not allowed it would be useless, for a minute I thought vodafone might be getting a tiny bit better but obviously not. I've made up my mind and I'm switching to 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

nazoil wrote:
    old news
    BUT apparently you can't use for AFT, Opera Mini, Gmail etc .
    where does it say that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I called today and specifically asked if I could use it to visit regular websites outside of live and the guy I spoke to said yes.

In the Vodafone UK description for what seems to be the same product give or take some pricing and limit differences and it looks like there is no restriction on what sites you can visit. O2 (Movistar) in spain also have a 99c a day deal and they insist you use a Movistar branded version of operamini.

I'm on pre-pay so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow to see how far I can get for 99c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I called today and specifically asked if I could use it to visit regular websites outside of live and the guy I spoke to said yes.

In the Vodafone UK description for what seems to be the same product give or take some pricing and limit differences and it looks like there is no restriction on what sites you can visit. O2 (Movistar) in spain also have a 99c a day deal and they insist you use a Movistar branded version of operamini.

I'm on pre-pay so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow to see how far I can get for 99c.
    Do report back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

The £1 per day charge and monthly web browsing pack cannot be used for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services such as Skype or Peer-to-Peer services (such as instant messenger services, text messaging clients or file sharing). These services will not count towards the £1 per day charge or monthly pack, and are charged separately at £2 per MB, with a 5p minimum charge for each data session.

okay so you may be able to visit various sites with your phone browser, but it WOULD seem that messenger, aft, gmail, opera mini, email on your phone are no-nos

Interesting. The three representives (one was a floor manager) I spoke to, including another person that left me a voicemail (which I still have incidently), told me unequivocally that my data requests, specifically pop/smtp access, web access from 3rd party applications (e.g. Gmail, Fring, Resco News, Worldmate et al) and virtually anything outside Vodafones live portal other sites or browsers) were NOT included. She was making herself very clear.

I spoke for about 15 minutes with the floor manager and, at the end of it all, she insisted that I needed use the GPRS add on for €75 + VAT if I wanted to avail of the above types of service.

I told her that I thought that was pretty mad price for data in this day and age and that I thought that this was finally a step in the right direction for Vodafone especially since another operator had opened up the playing field by offering unlimited (unbridled) data at an affordable and usable price (finally), and she replied by saying that my requests were more "business orientated" and that this new add on was geared specifically toward the "youth/entertainment" market via the Vodafone portal.

I would urge others to question the exact remit of this new data add on by calling Vodafone customer care and ask them directly.
    It is early days and the person I spoke with could have been wrong (I bloddy hope so!) but she certainly seemed adamant.

Quintron, your sources certainly sound convincing but I hope they are misinformed. As I said earlier, the best way to find out for sure is to give it a spin. Tomorrow morning on the bus to work I´ll reset my phone data counter, do some opera browsing and see if it uses 99c of credit or breaks the bank. I´ll post the results here.

More info on the UK version in this Guardian article (official newspaper of Jason Bourne)

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2096912,00.html

I'll wait and see. Vodafone UK and Vodafone IRL are essentially two different companies with different data plans, tariffs and marketing strategies. While it would be nice if they were the same I wouldn't bank on it being so just yet.

Obviously Vodafone Ireland have their own marketing strategy! :rolleyes:

Well I've tried it out. When I first connected to Vodafone Live I got a message telling me the tariffs had changed. I´ve now downloaded 875k from various Live sites, ordinary websites including boards.ie, checked my mail with the gmail app and searched for directions with the google maps app.

I'm on prepay and my credit dropped 99c and has stayed that way. When I text surf to 50233 it now tells me I have 49.38mb left today.

The bad news is I can´t get operamini or operamini beta to connect now. They both fail during the network tests. I'll play some more with the settings and see what happens.

Did anyone else bother to phone and ask Vodafone customer care straight up what the add-on parameters were???

Cheers for the update Arch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

A month ago Vodafone customer care told me that the new add-ons would work with Opera Mini using the Vodafone ISP. I forgot all about this until today and have just rang Data Services who told me told me that they will not. :(

I'm still on one of the old business tariffs -100mb for €40 ex vat. I'll try setting up Opera Mini to connect via Vodafone Live using my old prepay sim later and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

I'm very unhappy about this. My kingdom for anyone who can get Opera mini working!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

fyi
    here's a response i received from customer care this morning
    Apologies if this is old news to some

Please find below some information regarding the Mobile internet
    bundle on vodafone live

Can I use Skype?
    A new version of Skype has just been released and it is currently
    unclear as to whether is can be used on mobile internet. It is likely
    that the user experience will be extremely poor

Can I bank on-line? Buy a book on Amazon? Can I book and pay for a
    flight on Ryanair and Aer Lingus?
    Yes. Your phone must support 'https' and have a fully featured web
    browser that does not adapt content. These handsets (at launch) are:
    Nokia E50, E61, E65, N73, N91, N95, 6680 and 6630

Can I watch video or listen to radio clips on rte.ie?
    No - the phone must have Flash and an RSS reader and no phone in our
    range has these.

Can I access the Vodafone Ireland website?
    Yes, you can access the WAP version - wap.vodafone.ie

Can I buy a phone on wap.vodafone.ie?
    No.

Can you download music from a website - eg iTunes etc?
    No. This functionality is currently only available on PCs.

Can you access Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo email etc?
    Yes

Can I watch video or listen to radio clips on rte.ie
    No - the phone must have Flash and an RSS reader and no phone in our
    range has these

Can I access the Vodafone Ireland website?
    Yes, you can access the WAP version - wap.vodafone.ie

Can you download music from a website, eg iTunes etc?
    No. This functionality is currently only available on PCs.

Can you access Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo email etc?
    Yes

I just gave it a quick try but connecting through the APN live.vodafone.com seems to give the same results as before: Only works through their wap proxy, I don't get direct IP connections to anything.

Edit: This is Vodafone prepay by the way...

If you have the add-on and a symbian handset, can you check your email using the built in email client?

No, that didn't work for me... (Nokia E60, IMAP)

By the way, I don't have any add-on... I think this new live tariff is standard for everyone now.

Unfortunately I'll still have to go with 3 for my mobile internet access for the time being :( So I have to keep messing with 2 phones because I've had my vodafone number for years.

I was really hoping they'd finally wake up to the fact that it's not just businesses that want real data services on their mobile.

^ Tragic. They don't even have a decent business data service!! I called asking about the 50MB for 9.99 that OP suggests but was told it doesn't exist?? The best was when I asked about roaming and was told that one option was to get an add on which charged you €14.52 as soon as you initiated a data connection (eg check your mail) then you had 50MB to use within 24 hours.
    I asked what if you accidentally went over the 24 hours, next day say.. guess what.... its another €14.52.
    I then asked, "How can I monitor this?".
    The reply. "You Can't".
    "Why?"
    "Thats just the way it is.."

Another option is to pay €5 a MB while roaming.

There was more but I didn't have the heart to continue the conversation.

We are getting shafted in this country. Its criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭16hill16

Quintron
    I'm on perfect fit 400
    when I log in to their web site and go to " price plans" & click on "Add ons"
    I get these options at the bottom of the screen ( see attached file)
    which after MUCH discussion with vodafone , they confirmed them as being the following options ( exactly as per the Business Works price plan)
    # email access (10MB) with Vodafone Business Email
    # internet access (50MB) using your 3G mobile as a modem

The difference being if you go with Business works you get both options and it costs (79 ex Vat) 95.59 incl Vat

BTW my 9.99 was VAT exclusive 12.08 incl vat, (will stick with Vat incl prices to avoid further confusion) and was for the second option above.

NOW, my sudden interest in all of this is due to my recent purchase of an N95.
    I am still waiting for this add on to be added to my price plan at my next billing date, I got what I stated above off of a supervisor ( eventually) so I believe it. However as always seeing is believing, my fingers are crossed that i have been informed correctly , this time .
    hope this is clear and helps!

Anyone notice that Vodafone UK are updating their network to 7.2 Mbps download & 1.44Mbps upload? Will be in Belfast by Q4. Wonder when we'll see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Ok, I went to Tools/Settings/Network setup on both Opera Mini 3 and the new beta, ran the setup tests again choosing Vodafone Live as my connection and this seems to be working now on my N73.

I presume the data is still coming out of my existing 100mb add on, so I'll have to wait until I can put some credit into ye olde prepay phone and see if it works on that.

• Advertisement

16hill16 wrote:
    Quintron
    I'm on perfect fit 400
    when I log in to their web site and go to " price plans" & click on "Add ons"
    I get these options at the bottom of the screen ( see attached file)
    which after MUCH discussion with vodafone , they confirmed them as being the following options ( exactly as per the Business Works price plan)
    # email access (10MB) with Vodafone Business Email
    # internet access (50MB) using your 3G mobile as a modem

The difference being if you go with Business works you get both options and it costs (79 ex Vat) 95.59 incl Vat

BTW my 9.99 was VAT exclusive 12.08 incl vat, (will stick with Vat incl prices to avoid further confusion) and was for the second option above.

NOW, my sudden interest in all of this is due to my recent purchase of an N95.
    I am still waiting for this add on to be added to my price plan at my next billing date, I got what I stated above off of a supervisor ( eventually) so I believe it. However as always seeing is believing, my fingers are crossed that i have been informed correctly , this time .
    hope this is clear and helps!

Cheers h16. I think its only available on PF400 where as we are on a company plan and it is not available!

Advertisement