Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New vodafone data add on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Just tried now, using live.vodafone.com as the apn, and 10.24.59.100 port 80 as a proxy, getting web access (and https) no problem on windows mobile, active sync works, and google maps works fine, now to see what comes up on the bill............. Am i reading http://www.vodafone.ie/livepricing/index.jsp correct

What is the charge when I'm roaming?
    The service is the same price when roaming abroad as at home and will be accessible from any country where we have a 3G or GPRS roaming agreement.

The service will be accessible from any country where we have a 3G or GPRS roaming agreement.

Is roaming included? for 9.99 a month i have access while roaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

sirlinux wrote:
    Just tried now, using live.vodafone.com as the apn, and 10.24.59.100 port 80 as a proxy, getting web access (and https) no problem on windows mobile, active sync works, and google maps works fine, now to see what comes up on the bill.............

Is that on ready to go? I'm still not getting anything if I connect, tried changing the proxy settings to the ones you use (I had different ones) but still no luck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

sirlinux wrote:
    Is roaming included? for 9.99 a month i have access while roaming?

I'm on prepay and roaming in Spain. Actually I bought an Irish SIM last time I was home specifically because Vodafone Spain don't offer this locally yet for my contract.

I've downloaded 1.5 MB so far today and I've paid only 99c so it looks like roaming works nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

What have you downloaded? Just data thru the portal or data by any other means outside of the portal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Is that on ready to go? I'm still not getting anything if I connect, tried changing the proxy settings to the ones you use (I had different ones) but still no luck..

Thats on billpay. working ok, seem to be able to download stuff ok, just got a 800k cab file, havent tried anything massive yet.

• Advertisement

I've just been browsing with the standard browser and used the gmail and google maps app. I don't have anything more exotic on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Hey guys i'm a bit confused with all this, could someone give a brief summary of what has changed, what can/cant be used. :confused:

I use opera mini on vodafone isp and its still working the same now. Whats the difference between using the isp and live anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smartypants

isp is charged at €2 per Mb. while the live.vodafone.com apn is charged at the new 99c wap tarriff rates. id assume you could use the live apn with opera if the browser allowed you to configure the proxy but it doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Well I am on a (old) family plan and its available for me.
    quintron wrote:
    Cheers h16. I think its only available on PF400 where as we are on a company plan and it is not available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

isp is charged at €2 per Mb. while the live.vodafone.com apn is charged at the new 99c wap tarriff rates. id assume you could use the live apn with opera if the browser allowed you to configure the proxy but it doesnt.

So where would windows mobile apps like outlook mobile and pocket Internet Explorer mobile stand in all of this.

I've always used isp.vodadone.ie for these in the past.
    (not sure what other apn they can use).

Are you saying you're charged €2 per mb if you use isp.vodafone.ie with these..

• Advertisement

Vodafone has adopted a sliding scale for GPRS data charges — for very light users (less than 5MByte a month) it costs EUR2 per Mbyte
    btw the cap of 5Mb is no longer in place, its 2euro a Mb regardless

source http://www.techcentral.ie/articles/xml_techcentral_april01/pchome/wireless_mobile/wireless_wheres_it_at/view

for some reason the data charges arent explained well on vodafone homepage.
    mkennedy wrote:
    So where would windows mobile apps like outlook mobile and pocket Internet Explorer mobile stand in all of this.
    QUOTE]

depends on the protocol, do they retrieve the data only through HTTP gets? im not sure. if the answer is Yes it maybe be possible to use the live! APN ive never tried it.

isp and office apns i.e. (isp.vodafone.com and office.vodafone.com ) are charged at €2 euro per Mb. (out of bundle)

live.vodafone.com and wap.vodafone.com are charged at 99c daily (out of bundle)

now when you use apps that require data traffic other that http/s they connect through the office/isp apn which are proxyless and dont restrict you to only http pages.

so in theory because the live portal serves HTTP pages you should be able to browse using opera or another browser if the browser has the ability to configure a proxy (which it doesnt well at least the one im using, hence why you cannot use the live.vodafone.com apn for opera)

e.g. people use the connect card to connect through isp.vodafone.com. but in fact you can actually configure the proxy in internet explorer to point to the live proxy 10.24.59.100 and use the live.vodafone.com apn in the card settings (why you would want to do this i dont know but you can to prove it works and also you wont be able to access traffic other than HTTP , such as ftp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

btw the cap of 5Mb is no longer in place, its 2euro a Mb regardless

source http://www.techcentral.ie/articles/xml_techcentral_april01/pchome/wireless_mobile/wireless_wheres_it_at/view

for some reason the data charges arent explained well on vodafone homepage.
    mkennedy wrote:
    QUOTE]

depends on the protocol, do they retrieve the data only through HTTP gets? im not sure. if the answer is Yes it maybe be possible to use the live! APN ive never tried it.

isp and office apns i.e. (isp.vodafone.com and office.vodafone.com ) are charged at €2 euro per Mb. (out of bundle)

live.vodafone.com and wap.vodafone.com are charged at 99c daily (out of bundle)

now when you use apps that require data traffic other that http/s they connect through the office/isp apn which are proxyless and dont restrict you to only http pages.

so in theory because the live portal serves HTTP pages you should be able to browse using opera or another browser if the browser has the ability to configure a proxy (which it doesnt well at least the one im using, hence why you cannot use the live.vodafone.com apn for opera)

e.g. people use the connect card to connect through isp.vodafone.com. but in fact you can actually configure the proxy in internet explorer to point to the live proxy 10.24.59.100 and use the live.vodafone.com apn in the card settings (why you would want to do this i dont know but you can to prove it works and also you wont be able to access traffic other than HTTP , such as ftp)

spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm confused now, can someone summarise all the changes please. Im on RTG and I use opera mini, do the new changes mean i cant use opera mini or am I charged 99cent a day for all data regardless of what application you user that connects to net?

rc28 wrote:
    I'm confused now, can someone summarise all the changes please. Im on RTG and I use opera mini, do the new changes mean i cant use opera mini or am I charged 99cent a day for all data regardless of what application you user that connects to net?

you can continue to use it as you do now with the isp.vodafone.com apn.
    you just will not avail of the new 99c wap tarriff as thats only available through the live.vodafone.com APN and opera does not support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Sorry for the long post...

OK, I think I'm with the plot...

If you use the Voda browser, anything that you access on it is charged under the 99c a day/E9.99 pm scheme.

If you use another browser then you better be sure that it is using the correct connection settings outlined above.

If you are using an application, most likely it will not work under the new scheme and have to go through the ISP.

SO....
    tried using IM+ resetting to Vodafone Live, wouldn't connect. Tried using the ISP...it connected. No surprise there. It's a universal instant messenger program for the likes of MSN btw.

Rang Voda, they confirmed that all applications should not use the new service and most likely would not work anyway.

HOWEVER....

Just a minute ago I browsed to Hotmail...NOT the wap version...on my phone. I did this by accident to be honest.

I got this really scary looking notice telling me I was leaving Vodafone Live in a way that suggested it was A Bad Thing.

What's going on there? Have I been charged at the per kilobyte rate for that visit?

Another question....we all have our little hobbies and I would like to use the Nokia Lifeblog thingy. I presume that as this is an application it won't work with the new service, or even if it does...if they "catch" me at it, they'll stop it.

Also I would like to use one of those applications that sends your GPS position to a website so friends know where you are.

Also I would like to use Messenger.

What's the absolute rock bottom cheapest way to accomplish this on Voda. Anyone?

Or should I just go Meteor altogether and have done with this confusion?

Only thing is Meteor are likely to take a long time to catch up with Voda on 3G....

Sorry for the long post...

Just a minute ago I browsed to Hotmail...NOT the wap version...on my phone. I did this by accident to be honest.

I got this really scary looking notice telling me I was leaving Vodafone Live in a way that suggested it was A Bad Thing.

What's going on there? Have I been charged at the per kilobyte rate for that visit?

Also I would like to use Messenger.

all off the above can be accessed through the live.vodafone.com apn at the 99c daily wap tariff rate as its all http traffic

when it says your leaving VF live, it just means your leaving the vodafone content e.g if you happen to browse to google, bbc, msn, its still all charged at the 99c daily rate

i think what people need to understand is that only HTTP type traffic can use the live.vodafone.com portal. so if your app only uses http well then your fine, providing of course you configure the settins correclty for the app.

EVERYTHING else will be isp/office

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

OK thanks to everyone for trying to explain all this you have done a better job than vodafone have. But to be honest im still unsure on all of this and I think its pretty bad form from vodafone, could be enough to push me to another data friendy operator or at least a more straight forward unrestricted one

P.S If you use 99c a day thats almost 30 quid a month, which is more than a lot of "proper" broadband connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

All was working fine for me all day today until this evening now I can't check any secure site like my online banking etc. also alot of pages are being displayed wired sometimes it just loads all the pictures and no content no mater what I try. Hopefully this is just a minor bug.

In response to Fergal above, my advice, if you are switching, and want to use Nokia Lifeblog, MSN et al, and if you live in a city, is to switch to 3 and choose either their 100MB (€6), 250MB (€10) or unlimited (€20) data plan.
    Honestly, people can say what they like about 3 (including me!!) but, as of now, for a decent, straight up, no bullsh|t data plan, there is no one even close. My opinion is if you want to pay more for your data, go right ahead. Just be aware you are getting seriously ripped off. Even three's current pricing relative to our European counterparts is a rip and thats saying volumes about the blatant pricing of our other Irish networks. It may have been fine in 1999 to charge exorbitant rates for data but its 2007!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

quintron wrote:
    In response to Fergal above, my advice, if you are switching, and want to use Nokia Lifeblog, MSN et al, and if you live in a city, is to switch to 3 and choose either their 100MB (€6), 250MB (€10) or unlimited (€20) data plan.
    Honestly, people can say what they like about 3 (including me!!) but, as of now, for a decent, straight up, no bullsh|t data plan, there is no one even close. My opinion is if you want to pay more for your data, go right ahead. Just be aware you are getting seriously ripped off. Even three's current pricing relative to our European counterparts is a rip and thats saying volumes about the blatant pricing of our other Irish networks. It may have been fine in 1999 to charge exorbitant rates for data but its 2007!

Have you used data in France....? Now *there's* a rip-off!

• Advertisement

well ... they're French. Always something.
    For most part you would have to agree we are getting charged large quantities of cash for small quantities of data.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Strange that their fixed triple/quadruple play broadband is so fantastic and mobile data so awful.

Agree that Irish mobile prices across the board are scandalous, but 3 is definitely the way forward. When I look at that so-called mobile broadband "deal" from o2 Ireland, it makes my blood boil.......

Today operamini and operamini beta are working fine but for some reason gmail has decided to start giving an error about a missing certificate.

Tomorrow who knows what will work :confused:

what APN are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

when it says your leaving VF live, it just means your leaving the vodafone content e.g if you happen to browse to google, bbc, msn, its still all charged at the 99c daily rate

i think what people need to understand is that only HTTP type traffic can use the live.vodafone.com portal. so if your app only uses http well then your fine, providing of course you configure the settins correclty for the app.

EVERYTHING else will be isp/office

Well ya see, this is a pretty confusing situation.

I viewed my bill online and I could have sworn I got charged at the extortionate...umm...old/general rate.

I decided I better check into this...

And I just went to view my bill online for unbilled calls, as I had done, when I felt that I had incurred the large charge. Now it says that I have zero unbilled calls and the only bill I can get is the one dated August 6th (therefore the new bill hasn't been done yet?)

Anyway I persist using the View My Bill tab
    and it goes:
    "Unfortunately, as there are several users on your account and your number is not
    registered to view all bills for this account we are unable to complete your request.
    To authorise a number to make these changes please call 1907."

WTF???

There is only one number on the account...

It just gets weirder.

Maybe I read the online bill right. Maybe they did charge me full whack, but they shouldn't have and are in the process of amending the....or maybe not...or I give up.

I am strongly thinking of 3 again.

But the thing is one of the main times I might use mobile internet is when I am stuck in some rural place waiting for something to happen beyond my control and I worry if 3 will have coverage there....

I dunno

what APN are you using?

live.vodafone.com

It didn´t work on Tuesday. I tried again today without changing anything and it worked fine

actually i got it working too :D so RTSP and HTTP browsing is all good! just make sure yis are all using the right APN lads to get the 99c charge!

Posting from Germany at the moment using the live! Apn.seems to be wrking fine. No gmail or opera mini or Resco news however, though worldmate updates itself via live apn. I'm using built in S60 browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not had a chance to try it yet. Would the in built email in the e65 work wit the live point?

• Advertisement

just got my phone working as a modem using the live APN with my laptop, cant use ftp but can do regular browsing and streaming! :D

Advertisement