Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New vodafone data add on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I cannot get the live.vodafone.com APN to work on a Nokia 6070 or a Qtek 8310. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Get error that connection closed. Do I have to put id and pass dublin/dublin? What else should i check? Did you get Opera Mini to work now on this APN? only working sometimes or not? Do I have to send an activation text to Voda to activate this 50 mb per day deal, or will it work automagically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Still cannot get this to work on my phones... Just an error that the connection was closed, or other similar messages. What to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

^^ clearing the cache might do it. I'm getting that error a lot also. Reloading the page works sometimes also.

The java based gmail app has also been working for me the past couple of days. Is it working for others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

I never got live to work on a windows mobile phone,sure i had a vodafone v1240(vodafone version of the qtek 8310) and that didnt have live either.

If skearon is reading this,if i remember correctly,you got live working via a registry change.he fooled vodafone live in thinking browser id was a nokia 6630.but if that was the case,why isnt it connecting in the first place,it should be loading live in plain text format.very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 have the largest 3g network in the country.
    As much as we giveout about them their mobile network for phones is second to none.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

For those that want to use this new Vodafone Live tariff to check their email (even though POP3 and IMAP are blocked): I've found a way to do this! But it only works if you have a Nokia E-Series phone or one of the newer N-series ones (N73, N95, N76)

The workaround is by using the "Mail For Exchange" client from Nokia to connect to an Exchange email server. This connection works over port 443 (HTTPS) and apparently the plugin works through Vodafone's proxy as well. Strange enough it says on the download page that it won't work through proxies. But it does work for me!

If you don't have an exchange server you can make a free account at live.mail2web.com and forward your mail to it. (I'm not affiliated with them but they are the only such service I know of)

The good thing is that it can synchronize your mail continuously or every xx minutes and it can also synchronize your calendar, tasks and contacts with the server. If you have a corporate Exchange server it should work too.

Edit: The only thing that doesn't work through the proxy is push mail, if you set it to 'Always on' mail reception it disconnects after the first sync. But setting it to 15 minutes (the quickest schedule) works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

If there is still a bit of confusion about the new prices, i got a pretty helpfull explanation this morning from a friend who works in Vodafone:

The main confusion is that this is not "a data add on" but just a new Vodafone Live Tariff.

If a Vodafone customer had a brand new phone, and pressed the live button two weeks ago, it would be free to browse the Live Menu and 2c/kb to browse non-vf content. Now, if a customer presses the Vodafone live button, they will get charged a max of 99c per day for browsing any content (VF Live, Google, Boards.ie etc). There is no sign up/opt in/add on necessary, it's just a new tariff. If you're billpaid, you can also get this for €9.99 per month (with a 500mb cap)

This is just aimed at ordinary surfing etc. Push email and other business services continue as normal (whatever the monthly Blackberry/Business Email rate is)

On the other hand, if you want to use extra's (apps you downloaded yourself, your own browser etc.) This isn't guaranteed by vodafone, so they can't help you out if there's a problem, but if you can get them to connect over the new live apn they won't try and stop you. Otherwise, if you connect over the office/isp apn, you pay the existing rates (data add on or 2c/kb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

This works (sort of). While you can connect on 443 and using the default port as well, it will not stay connected. So if you set your M4E connection to "always connected" it will connect, sync and then drop out.

Sync set to every 15 minutes seems to work on either the default port or on 443.

[QUOTE=GekkePrutserThe workaround is by using the "Mail For Exchange" client from Nokia to connect to an Exchange email server. This connection works over port 443 (HTTPS) and apparently the plugin works through Vodafone's proxy as well. Strange enough it says on the download page that it won't work through proxies. But it does work for me!

.[/QUOTE]

also I can't get Worldmate to work using the Live apn. Just keeps saying connecting and then times out. Works on the ISP apn.
    elderlemon wrote:
    This works (sort of). While you can connect on 443 and using the default port as well, it will not stay connected. So if you set your M4E connection to "always connected" it will connect, sync and then drop out.

Sync set to every 15 minutes seems to work on either the default port or on 443.

elderlemon wrote:

Yes, same here, I need to set it to sync every 15 minutes. Always on doesn't work. But at least it can now check every 15 minutes, I couldn't get mail to work at all on POP3 or IMAP. Too bad it doesn't give the option for every 5 minutes or so.

I even tried keeping the 3G data connection open using the web browser but that doesn't make it work. I also tried reducing the heartbeat interval to 1 minute. I'm guessing Vodafone's server sees the idle connection and disconnects it within the minute.

By the way, the default port is 443, just looked that up.

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote:
    also I can't get Worldmate to work using the Live apn. Just keeps saying connecting and then times out. Works on the ISP apn.

That's probably because Worldmate doesn't support connecting through a proxy. Even if the connection works through port 80 or 443 (http or https) it still has to be able to work through a proxy. The same thing is happening with the Nokia Internet Radio application, this also doesn't work even when connecting to an HTTP port.

Interesting. I have the 25mb data add on but this live add on for 9.99 would give me 500mb browsing and push email (exchange). Not bad and a lot better than the 25mb I am on.
    failsafe wrote:
    On the other hand, if you want to use extra's (apps you downloaded yourself, your own browser etc.) This isn't guaranteed by vodafone, so they can't help you out if there's a problem, but if you can get them to connect over the new live apn they won't try and stop you. Otherwise, if you connect over the office/isp apn, you pay the existing rates (data add on or 2c/kb)

elderlemon wrote:
    Interesting. I have the 25mb data add on but this live add on for 9.99 would give me 500mb browsing and push email (exchange). Not bad and a lot better than the 25mb I am on.

Well it's not exactly push email unfortunately, the push setting in the client doesn't work because of VF's proxy. It only works on the 'collect every XX minutes' setting. The lowest you can set that is 15 minutes.

Still, it's usable enough for me. And it can sync your contacts, calendar and tasks as well by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

worldmate updates fine for me using live! apn.
    Terrible shame resco news doesn't work, though the browser on S60 v3 FP1 (newer nokias E65, N95, E90) has a built in RSS reader which works great.
    Fring don't work but how and ever...
    Gmail app works fine.
    Any other apps working/not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 PlanetPob

just got my phone working as a modem using the live APN with my laptop, cant use ftp but can do regular browsing and streaming! :D

Hey there - how did you do this? i am trying to connect to vodafone live with my Axim through my bluetooth phone. I have been able to connect to GPRS but cannot find anywhere directions to connect to Live. I have seen the settings here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055140714&referrerid=&highlight=live.vodafone+apn

but I would love if someone could give step by step directions. Where do you input the APN? How do you configure the Proxy? Etc... I am sure it would be useful for anyone using their phone as a Vodafone Live modem.

Thanks!

quintron wrote:
    worldmate updates fine for me using live! apn.
    Terrible shame resco news doesn't work, though the browser on S60 v3 FP1 (newer nokias E65, N95, E90) has a built in RSS reader which works great.
    Fring don't work but how and ever...
    Gmail app works fine.
    Any other apps working/not working?

These are the ones that I use:

Google Maps -> Working
    Opera Mini -> Working
    IM+ (MSN Messenger, Jabber etc) -> Not working
    PuTTY -> Not working (even when connecting to port 443)
    Nokia Internet Radio -> Not working (even when connecting to port 80)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

How did you get opera mini working?

Arathorn wrote:
    How did you get opera mini working?

I didn't do anything special, it worked by itself, although when I did the network test it only worked on the second try (probably it tries without proxy first). What model phone do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Lads i did a fair bit of browsing (boards etc) with the apn set to isp.vodafone.ie on a RTG sim with about €6 in it.

My RTG call credit hasn't changed. ??
    What gives.
    Should i expect to abruptly find myself without credit soon.

at 2c/kb, €6 gives you 300kb. I browsed about 1mb atleast. ??

I didn't do anything special, it worked by itself, although when I did the network test it only worked on the second try (probably it tries without proxy first). What model phone do you have?

N95, The Nokia web browser works ok but nothing from opera mini

• Advertisement

Arathorn wrote:
    N95, The Nokia web browser works ok but nothing from opera mini

Strange, the N95 has the same kind of software as my E60...

Oh wait, I'm using beta 4 of Opera mini, not version 3 (the current release). Maybe that's the difference?

Nope im on 4 beta as well :confused:

Arathorn wrote:
    Nope im on 4 beta as well :confused:

Strange, I've just tried it again on Opera mini (I mainly use the built-in browser) and it still works...

Maybe it's your APN settings? Especially the proxy settings (at the bottom here). This is what works for me:

Name: Vodafone live new (Of course you can name this anything)
    Data Bearer: Packet Data
    Access Point Name: live.vodafone.com
    User name: vodafone
    Prompt Password: no
    Password: vodafone
    Authentication: normal
    Homepage: http://www.google.com (You can set this to anything as well)
    Options->Advanced Settings
    Network type: IPv4
    Phone IP address: Automatic
    DNS address: Automatic
    Proxy server address: 10.24.59.100
    Proxy port number: 80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

I got Opera working as well, and here's how I did it.

In Opera, go to the network settings and change the protocol from 'Socket' to 'HTTP' and it worked for me using the Live! APN...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Can anyone tell me what windows mobile apps i can connect to the vodafonelive apn.

I've set up the vodafonelive apn under the work network on my device and have set up the proxy.
    I can get the connection no problem on the device.

However the only thing i can use with the live apn connection is Opera mobile.

Pocket Internet Explorer can't use it at all. It just times out.
    Same with the java gmail app.
    I suspect other windows mobile widgets/apps can't use it either.

I know for live to recognise pocketIE you have to change the registry settings for pocketIE which i've done but still no luck.

Is it that the live apn won't recognise pocketIE on wm5 or something?

I read the other voda thread but it seems to refer mostly to nokia devices.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any ideas I have the SE K800i, did anyone with K800i got Opera to work using Live.vodafone.com

Below what I tested

In the K800i there's 2 setting under "Connectivity" "Internet Settings" I have "Internet profiles" and "Settings for java" from all the test done the connection for Opera is "Settings for Java" When I use the setting for the APN as live.vodafone.com under "Internet Java" if I try to browse any page at all I get "There was a problem connecting, there might be a problem with you network setup. Please go to Tools and Settings and do a connection test (error 3.200.4)" I then go to setting in Opera and do test connections I get
    error "Failed to connect to Internet" If I use the connection setup with the APN as isp.vodafone.ie it works ok with Opera.

I also tested by connecting my phone to my PC and with the Sonyericsson utility setup a connection it work ok if I use APN as isp.vodafone.ie but if I use live.vodafone.com I cannot browse anything at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

nava wrote:
    Hi

I wonder if anyone has any ideas I have the SE K800i, did anyone with K800i got Opera to work using Live.vodafone.com

Below what I tested

In the K800i there's 2 setting under "Connectivity" "Internet Settings" I have "Internet profiles" and "Settings for java" from all the test done the connection for Opera is "Settings for Java" When I use the setting for the APN as live.vodafone.com under "Internet Java" if I try to browse any page at all I get "There was a problem connecting, there might be a problem with you network setup. Please go to Tools and Settings and do a connection test (error 3.200.4)" I then go to setting in Opera and do test connections I get
    error "Failed to connect to Internet" If I use the connection setup with the APN as isp.vodafone.ie it works ok with Opera.

I also tested by connecting my phone to my PC and with the Sonyericsson utility setup a connection it work ok if I use APN as isp.vodafone.ie but if I use live.vodafone.com I cannot browse anything at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    if you open opera mini and scroll to tools > settings, there is option to select either http or socket. If you play with that setting and use the test network connection utility in opera it may work

nazoil wrote:
    if you open opera mini and scroll to tools > settings, there is option to select either http or socket. If you play with that setting and use
    the test network connection utility in opera it may work

Hi

Did try that already but the same problem, forgot to include in my original post.

PS Also tried with Opera Mini 4 beta with same result.

Regards

Ok

managed to get Opera to work, change the port in the live.vodafone.com from 80 to 8080 and works but still cannot connect with live.vodafone.com when I connect my phone to the PC, still works in the PC using isp.vodafone.com

If anyone has any ideas on the PC connection let me know.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 canofsteam

hey im using a k800i and since the change ive had no opera, gmail or anything. only the vodafone live site. i changed the port as you said above to 8080 and it works!!!! i have previously been in 6 different vodafone shops and none of them knew what was going on. im back in the gmail world at last
    PS: using the live APN

Advertisement