Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next summer??

• 27-08-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

So im starting to think about what to do next summer... i had to cancel my j1 this summer because i was sick and i was just wondering what people would suggest... j1? Inter railing? thailand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭R.Rated

I did interrailing this year so next year i plan on travelling for 4 weeks around America using the Greyhound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

would you recommend inter railing?? where did you visit?? was it expensive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭R.Rated

Yeah it was awesome, we went to Prague,Brno,Brarislava,Budapest,Krakow and Warsaw for 3 weeks. I roughly spent around €1,200 which included accomadation. We also went out every night and eat in resteraunts for lunch and dinner so just over 1 grand isnt too bad for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

R.Rated wrote:
    I did interrailing this year so next year i plan on travelling for 4 weeks around America using the Greyhound

You should check out Amtrack. They have a monthly ticket for international visitors. It's like $599 dollars or maybe less for the national ticket. It's good craic on the trains and more comfortable than greyhound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

id say do thailand and other parts of se asia. i went interrailling for 7 weeks in 06 and spent over 15 weeks in asia this summer. i had a great time interrailling but asia was much better. its also a lot cheaper there, i spent 3200 euro in the 15 or so weeks this summer and it could easily be done cheaper!! il be heading back to that part of the world again next yr 2;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭oconnoao

mac-did you work in asia or travel the full time?

I'm trying to decide what to do too, went interrailing this year and had a ball.

Lots of my friends went on J1s, to San Diego or New York, and they all enjoyed it completely aswell, but I don't think I'd be bothered spending the Summer just working in a different country, and for pretty bad money too!

A friend suggested going to Asia to do volunteer work, and then travel at the end. Has anyone done this? It sounds fantastic, if I could raise some money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i traveled the whole time. i just saved up all year, if your going over id recommend booking the flights as early as possible,as you will save a few 100. volunteering would be good but you have to pay to do alot of these programmes. If your stuck for money and you want to work over there your best bet would be to teach english for a month or 2. it pays well and you could save enough while working to travel a bit after.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 theleprechaun

i am in the same position myself- j1 or interrailing. at the most interrailing seems to be winning out. it seems more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

j1 or interrailing really boils down to whether or not you want to work for 2 or 3 months and then travel a bit or travel for the duration. If you don't want to work then don't bother with the J1.

Advertisement