Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI's

Options
  • 27-08-2007 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering what type of mileage I could expect to get out of a well maintained TDI version of a A4/Golf/Passat

Thinking of going for a 03 or 04 TDI, probably going to have to spend between 18000 and 24000 to get a good one, but how many years could I expect to get out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I was in a bora tdi taxi last summer, the car had 274k miles on it, inside was a bit shabby and it felt like it might have needed some bushings going by the sounds it made going over a few speed ramps.
    Driver said it was on its original engine, turbo and g-box.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thing is ...nobody knows (yet) what the longterm reliability of these highly complicated commonrail/pumpe duese/etc systems is.

An old Merc diesel (stone-age technology) would rattle you to the moon and back several times over, the "new" type diesels still aren't old enough yet to make any statistically relevant predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭OhMyGod123

So would I be better off going for a 98/99 with a full service hostory and 100k miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

TDis are very good engines, I would expect 200k miles easily. After that, doubtful. They've had a lot of troubles with electrics in the VW range as a whole as well. Other issues are the general godawful service of VW as a company. The turbos have also been rumoured to eat the engine after some time!

TDis are very good, but massively over-rated.

A Mazda 6 2.0TD SE develops 140 bhp :cool: and returns 50 - 55 mpg no problem. Because its japanese, you're almost guaranteed trouble free motoring for a decade or two, that includes gearbox/engine/body, apart from usual wear and tear.

Never heard of a jap-built car with a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

maoleary wrote:

A Mazda 6 2.0TD SE develops 140 bhp :cool: and returns 50 - 55 mpg no problem. Because its japanese, you're almost guaranteed trouble free motoring for a decade or two, that includes gearbox/engine/body, apart from usual wear and tear.

Never heard of a jap-built car with a different story.

Unfortunately I have.

We currently have a Mazda6 2.0Tdi (120bhp version) with 149,000 miles on the clock (early 2004) which is having some major issues. Been in and out of the dealer 5 or 6 times in the last 2 months as it keeps stalling - general opinion is that the engine has had it's day. Not sure of the service history on it as it's one we took over last year rather than maintaining it from the beginning - may also be a freak occurance and other cars may be good for 200k+.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote:
    Unfortunately I have.

We currently have a Mazda6 2.0Tdi (120bhp version) with 149,000 miles on the clock (early 2004) which is having some major issues. Been in and out of the dealer 5 or 6 times in the last 2 months as it keeps stalling - general opinion is that the engine has had it's day. Not sure of the service history on it as it's one we took over last year rather than maintaining it from the beginning - may also be a freak occurance and other cars may be good for 200k+.

Wow, that has taken some steam out of my stride. Cheers :D

Seriously though, I've never heard of anything like that. Sorry to hear its giving you so much grief. Nothing like an ECU malfunction or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

maoleary wrote:

Seriously though, I've never heard of anything like that. Sorry to hear its giving you so much grief. Nothing like an ECU malfunction or similar?

We got a lot of grief from Toyota Avensi too... including one needing a new head, and another getting 2 clutches and having rust issues before it reached 80k. A lot of niggly problems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

maoleary wrote:

Not too sure - mechanics aren't my thing.

I'va also has a driver who's experienced the only worldwide failure of a Hyundai 2.2Crdi engine :eek:

R.O.R wrote:
    Not too sure - mechanics aren't my thing.

I'va also has a driver who's experienced the only worldwide failure of a Hyundai 2.2Crdi engine :eek:

Now thats just plain weird. You're due a lottery win or something at this stage!! :eek:

Advertisement