Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock question

Options
  • 27-08-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I got a really stupid question but I'd still love to get an answer. I'm just after picking up Bioshock and was going to install it. However, as I have a new PC ordered (should be delivered towards the end of the week), can I install it on my old PC (for the moment) and then install it again on my new PC?

I'm kinda anxious to just mess around with it for the few days I have to wait for my new one but at the same time dont want to not be able to play it on the new one. I suppose I mean, can you use the same unique code on the back cover to install the game twice on 2 different pc's?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It should be fine i'd imagine. I think if you use steam, steam will handle all the permissions to install or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

5 installs for you then you can never install again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

i havent played bioshock yet:eek: but i dont know if its online or not but if you dont register it online all should be fine but if you do it wont let you install it on another pc because it will be the same code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thats what I'm actually afraid of, while the game is not online, you are required to receive an online activation code which I'm thinking might be a one off code and therefore I will not be able to install it elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

you need an internet connection to register and play this game. It installs a malaware on your pc which tracks how many time you have installed and takes a fingerprint of your PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

bubonicus wrote:
    5 installs for you then you can never install again :(

Thats a load of bollox!:mad: what a pack of ****ers!:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thats a load of bollox!:mad: what a pack of ****ers!:mad:

Thats not the way it is...its 5 current installations. So you can install it 5 times, but then you have to uninstall it again before you can install it elsewhere. In fairness, why would you have it installed 5 times.

Its not ideal, but its not worth getting so worked up over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As Kiith said that's not the case, Levine came out the other day and said activation has been changed to allow 2 to 5 simulatenous installs and 3 to 5 reinstalls. Of course uninstalling it means your counter is put back to normal so technically it's not an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

gizmo wrote:
    As Kiith said that's not the case, Levine came out the other day and said activation has been changed to allow 2 to 5 simulatenous installs and 3 to 5 reinstalls. Of course uninstalling it means your counter is put back to normal so technically it's not an issue at all.

Thats ment to be the way it works but lots of people including a writer from PCgamer found out the hard way that uninstalling the game didnt give back an instal credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

bubonicus wrote:
    you need an internet connection to register and play this game. It installs a malaware on your pc which tracks how many time you have installed and takes a fingerprint of your PC.

ha no , it installs securerom copy protection which logs your ip address and you game serial no.

thats all , its not malware lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Look at it this way, the game's been out for a week in the US and it still hasn't been cracked, which has to be a record, so you're going to be seeing this sort of copy protection a lot more often in the future, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Look at it this way, the game's been out for a week in the US and it still hasn't been cracked, which has to be a record, so you're going to be seeing this sort of copy protection a lot more often in the future, I reckon.

well it hasnt been cracked per say but , its very hard to install it from an iso , you do need a legit serial tho , thats why 2k have limited the game installations ,

Advertisement