Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Glow Plug Indicator on A4 TDI

Options
  • 27-08-2007 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an A4 TDI. A number of weeks ago I noticed the glow plug indicator starting flashing whislt driving. I read that the glow plug indicator may come on if the brake switch is faulty.

Anyway after further investigation it turned out the brake lights started to come on when the tail lights were switched on - thus making me convinced that the problem was the brake light switch. So I got a new brake light switch a few weeks ago - only got around to putting it in on Saturday, handy enough to do and was done in about 15mins altogether with removing and replacing the cover under the steering etc.

After the new switch went in, the brake lights and tail lights behaved in the same way as before. i.e, when the tail lights were on the brake lights were on and when the tail lights were off, the brake lights behaved as they should.

Then I thought about the taillight bulbs, the result - a dodgy tail light blub, changed this and everything was fine!!

So if anyone has a A4 TDI and glow plug indicator comes on - check your brake lights before anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Jaysus those audi electronics are legendary. Total, utter rubbish.

Sorry to hear you had to mess about so long with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

HotRodDub wrote:

Then I thought about the taillight bulbs, the result - a dodgy tail light blub, changed this and everything was fine!!

I'm not trying to be smart here, but was it a dodgy bulb or an incorrect bulb? I've seen this fault plenty of times and nearly always it's down to the incorrect bulb installed. Usually it's down to the the fact that the locater pins are offset in different ways on different type bulbs causing feedback and crossover between the side light and brake light circuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

crosstownk wrote:
    I'm not trying to be smart here, but was it a dodgy bulb or an incorrect bulb? I've seen this fault plenty of times and nearly always it's down to the incorrect bulb installed. Usually it's down to the the fact that the locater pins are offset in different ways on different type bulbs causing feedback and crossover between the side light and brake light circuits.

You got it in one crosstownk!, only reason I called it dodgy is because when I go buying bulbs, the bloke behind the counter always comes back with one of two blubs - the right one and the wrong one - in that the locator pins are so far offset its obivious it's wrong.

This blub in question was marginally offset - so much so that it went unnoticed by me - yes I put it in and I hold my hands up - but its a lesson well learnt, anyone want to buy a brake light switch?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmmm, same glow plug light use to come on by me the odd time. Coming to think about it, it hasn't been on since I changed a tail light bulb, so that must of been it.
    Same thing happened my friends A4, he thought it was the glow plugs, but as the car was starting grand, he just took out the glow plug indicator bulb:eek:

Advertisement