Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espresso Shots

Options
  • 27-08-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi All

Have been getting to grips with my new machine and have managed to get a good double shot of Espresso out 2ozs in 23 - 25 Seconds.

My question relates to the single basket when using it is it a 1oz shot in the same time or is it half the time or is it still a 2oz amount you are looking for.

Reason for above good wife likes latte with a single shot not too strong.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As far as I know a single shot should take around 20-25 seconds too. If your grind is ok for your double then there's no need to alter it to make a single shot. Give it a whirl and see what you think.

Have you tried to pour a single shot yet? If so, how long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

As MrM said it should take the same amount of time (in between 20 and 30 seconds). However, depending on the shape of basket, size of holes etc you most likely will need to adjust your grind.

So - you are looking for 1oz in that time, from about 7grams of coffee.

Under 1oz for a ristretto, over for a lungo.

A lot of people find the single baskets a lot more tempremental, harder to get consitent shots. Give it a whirl and see how it goes, but it might not be a bad idea to continue with the double basket, just put two cups under the spout, and you can drink one, and the missus the other. Or worst come to worst, put the cup under only one of the spouts and let one half run into the drip tray (don't really like this as its wasteful).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

OK

Have not tried a single shot yet as have only got to grips with the 2oz in 25 seconds for the double only mastered that when i got some 2oz cups in BT's

So we are looking for 1oz in the same time.

Single shot 1oz- 25 seconds
    Double shot 2 oz- 25 seconds

Will give it a try out and see how we go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'll run one off this evening with the single basket myself and post the times without adjusting anything. Let us know your results.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    it might not be a bad idea to continue with the double basket, just put two cups under the spout, and you can drink one, and the missus the other.

+1 for this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

Yea - I also find the single basket to be inconsistent at times - or maybe its just my technique :-)

I tend to always use the double basket - can't even remember when the single was last used

• Advertisement

Need to get more beans today and will run out single shot this evening and post results

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You mean you can make single shots?

I learn something new every day :D;)

Just use the double basket - it offers better results
    on most machines as mentioned above.

banaco73 wrote:
    Need to get more beans today and will run out single shot this evening and post results

Keith

Make sure you get some good quality fresh beans - you will really notice the difference

Got some nice fresh Beans in M&D Coffee and Tea in the georges street arcade today so will give them a go when i get home later

Too much hassel in changing from single to double basket going to stick to the double and if we are looking for some thing not so strong will just put 2 cups under the porta filter and ectract 2 single shots

• Advertisement

banaco73 wrote:
    Too much hassel in changing from single to double basket going to stick to the double and if we are looking for some thing not so strong will just put 2 cups under the porta filter and ectract 2 single shots

I think that is a much better approach - I have tried using the single basket and the method you just described - using the double filter and just placing a cup one side seems to give better flavour than just using a single basket

Had a go with the single basket too much trouble

Have filed the single basket away in the press only use the double.

Advertisement