Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handbasin Pedestal

Options
  • 27-08-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to shorten a Handbasin Pedestal by cutting it with some sort of ceramic cutting device, so that the handbasin could be positioned lower on the wall as opposed to hanging a wall mounted sink (with no pedestal)

Does anyone know anyone who could do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Why do you need to do this ?

Is it because of a low window position or for children ?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Yep you need a good angle grinder and diamond disc. Also use some masking tape to avoid the disc from slipping and it helps to stop the pedestal from chipping

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

It would be easier buy one for €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Had a similar prolem recently in a downstairs bathroom while it was being tiled. I told the tiler not to remove the pedestal and tile underneath as I would have to raise the hand basin in order to fit the pedestal underneath, and as the pipes were coming through the concrete floor there was no give in the. But the tiler decided he would remove it anyway.
    I cut it with an angle grinder and a diamond disc. As batman2000 said, use masking tape as the disc will slip on the ceramic pedestel and mark it.Be careful as pedestal are very britttle and will break easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Finneganjp wrote:
    Had a similar prolem recently in a downstairs bathroom while it was being tiled. I told the tiler not to remove the pedestal and tile underneath as I would have to raise the hand basin in order to fit the pedestal underneath, and as the pipes were coming through the concrete floor there was no give in the. But the tiler decided he would remove it anyway.
    I cut it with an angle grinder and a diamond disc. As batman2000 said, use masking tape as the disc will slip on the ceramic pedestel and mark it.Be careful as pedestal are very britttle and will break easily.

Fair play Finnegan, that takes some skill:cool: :cool:

• Advertisement

I thought heat cracks ceramics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I would need to have approx 8" taken off the pedestal as its for a person with a physical disability.

Don't think I would like to take a chance on doing this myself.

You should be able to get one specifically for the job.

Try a place called H&V Sales ,Plumbworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

You try a basin with a semi ped. They usually wall hung & cover pipe work, traps etc.
    There are also the old style wall brackets that a basin can hang on & have a loop for carry a towel on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

would it be easier to just sit the basin into a worktop/cabinet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 gillylilly

Really difficult to get a basins curve to sit into a worktop properly, you'd really need a vanity basin. Plus it would be a good deal more expensive, and if it's for someone with special needs then it'll need to have good access underneath.
    Basin brackets can be bought for about €10 in most places, I sell them myself. I sell bathrooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

The reason I was looking for one supported by a pedestal is the person 'leans' on the basin while washing etc, I was thinking a wall mounted one over time might not stand up to the leaning weight on the basin, I just felt one that was supported by a pedestal would better bear the weight.

As for a cabinet mounted basin, this isn't practical as the person would have access difficulties, reaching taps etc. Without discussing the persons difficulties in detail, a handbasin mounted on a (shorter) pedestal would be the best way to go.

I'm looking to see can I find someone who could alter one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would a corner basin help at all?
    Being supported on two edges would make it stronger and also you could add some battons etc underneath it to help again.

Cheers.

Advertisement