Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! - added to much black pepper

• 27-08-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

I was cooking up a big batch of mince and veggies (large stir fry type thing) yesterday with the intention of freezing most of it (every weekend I cook one big batch that will last me five work days lunches and freeze them (I have five weeks worth of meals in the freezer so a different meal every workday ).

However it seems I may have had to many drinks when cooking ..as sometimes happens....
    Anyhow, it seems I was a bit heavy handed with black pepper. Its not totally poisoned but does taste rather strongly of black pepper which I'm not a big fan of.

I was thinking of just adding some paprika (isn't this another type of pepper - might help change the black pepperyness??),chilli and tomato to it to make into a kind of chilli.
    Really don't want to throw it all out - seems like such a waste, anyone have any recommendations from past experience?

Currently its a pretty straightforward mince stir fry - Worcester sauce, salt, oregano,pepper, couple of oxo cubes, various veggies - carrot, bean sprouts, cabbage, green pepper, yellow pepper, garlic - anything in the fridge basically!, but usually turns out pretty yummie.

Can anyone save it or one for the bin?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh, what a mess!!!

i haven't a perfect cure, i'm sorry :) i have heard that if you put too much salt in a dish, to slice a potato up and put it in to absorb the strong flavour, then you throw it out. it's worth a shot i guess!

otherwise; is there any way to wash the stir fry?!! run a little water through, then fry again to dry it up? gawwwd... what a mess you are in :D

oh, and i wouldn't say you should add any more flavours to mask that one. it can only get worse going down that road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I had heard of the potato thing before, not sure it would work with pepper though and also don't have any spuds here.

I'm pinning my hopes on the fact that because peppers and chillies are closely related (I think) that turning it into a chilli might do the trick, hope the wise foodies on here might be able to reassure me this is the way to go.

Going to try something, definitely not throwing it out until I've at least tried to rescue the situation!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Can't really figure out what the problem is with too much black pepper - is it too hot for you? Too peppery or too spicy? Because adding more pepper won't help with that.

Based on your current ingredients, I'd add a tin of tomatoes and make it into more of a sauce than a stirfry - kinda like turning it into a chili (but again adding more peppery things won't help this if it's the heat of the pepper that's putting you off.)

Rescued!

Decided to go down the chilly route, added cumin, cardamon, nutmeg, chocolate , cinnamon, ginger and chilli, tin of tomatoes, and a couple of tins of kidney beans.

Its to die for, I think i've made my best chilli ever!!

Can't really figure out what the problem is with too much black pepper - is it too hot for you? Too peppery or too spicy? Because adding more pepper won't help with that.

Based on your current ingredients, I'd add a tin of tomatoes and make it into more of a sauce than a stirfry - kinda like turning it into a chili (but again adding more peppery things won't help this if it's the heat of the pepper that's putting you off.)

Thanks MAJD, I was just putting it into its lunchboxes while you were posting.
    It wasn't the heat at all that bothered me- I'm a big chili and curry fan.
    Black pepper has a rather strong taste though apart from the heat I find which was what I didn't like, whereas paprika for example is a bit more musty and sweetish to my palate.
    Its all worked out rather spectacularly well though now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement