Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blast from the past

Options
  • 27-08-2007 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

While cycling along today, I stopped to answer the phone.

Imagine my surprise when I look to my left and see one of my old bikes locked to a lamp post. This particular one was stolen six years ago from outside Blackrock DART station and I felt it was on its last legs at that time (it was bought in 1992) so it was good to see it still in use.

What would people do here? Find out where the current owner got it or just forget about it? I reported it to the Gardai at the time with a detailed description of the bike so could I still technically get it back (not that I necessarily want it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If I really wanted it back, I'd go to the cops and I'd get it. If not, I'd wipe the tear from my eye and move on.
    ullu wrote:

Imagine my surprise when I look to my left and see one of my old bikes locked to a lamp post. This particular one was stolen six years ago from outside Blackrock DART station and I felt it was on its last legs at that time (it was bought in 1992) so it was good to see it still in use.

What would people do here? Find out where the current owner got it or just forget about it? I reported it to the Gardai at the time with a detailed description of the bike so could I still technically get it back (not that I necessarily want it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

with all due respect, how can u be so sure its yours??

did u put a mark on it or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

philstar wrote:

Philstar - you sound a little guilty to me..

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

philstar wrote:

While I couldn't tell you the exact model, it was an Emmelle mountain bike with a ludicrous colour scheme that I never saw anyone else ride for the nine years I had it. It had the sticker of the shop my dad bought it in and the severe chipping to the frame's paintwork it had when I last rode it.

There's obviously a slight chance that someone bought the same model in the same shop and is still using it but I really doubt it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ullu wrote:

if you had proof of ownership like a serial number then it's yours, otherwise it could be coincidence, most bikes get accessories that make them unique fairly quickly - any of those on it

receiving stolen goods is a crime because without a market there would be a lot less theft

if the person who has it got it in good faith then they probably won't get prosecuted

not sure what the statute of limitations on (bike) theft is though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Is it the manky looking orange and green emmelle?(sp?) Cos i think i've seen more than one of those around over the years. Or weirder, I could just always be spotting the same one but i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

DavyD_83 wrote:
    Is it the manky looking orange and green emmelle?(sp?) Cos i think i've seen more than one of those around over the years. Or weirder, I could just always be spotting the same one but i doubt it.

Ha, manky is the word but it's pink, navy and green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

So what did you do? I would call the guards, get it back. Then sell it to the new owner for a euro or something, if they'll tell the guards where they got the stolen goods from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Quality. I was on the way into the gym a few weeks back and saw my old school bike locked outside. I couldn't believe it. It was my old Emmelle Cougar, navy front end, slight strip of pink and predominantly luminous green. I found out who owned it. My brother in law who I gave the bike to 8 years ago gave it to his mate who still owns it.

I was talking to him and even got to give it a ride for old times sake! Couldn't believe it was still going after 17 years!!!

Advertisement