Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can they take it away from me...

Options
  • 27-08-2007 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

hey I got B and L but if I get something rechecked and my points go down could I lose my place????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

your points can't go down on rechecks only go up. secondly, afaik, once you've been offererd a place (perhaps erroneously) they cannot retract the offer. so you're grand. If you got your desired course why bother getting rechecks?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

just i was very disappointed with one or two results im pretty sure they can mark you down tho ^^

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can only mark up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Appealing your results
    The State Examinations Commission will provide your school with a personalised appeal application form. (For external candidates, this form will be enclosed with your examination results.) You indicate the subjects you wish to appeal on the appeal form.

The results of oral examinations or the marks for practical examinations cannot be viewed. Only the scripts from the written examinations can be viewed.

A result may be upgraded or downgraded as a result of an appeal.
    The result of the appeal is final. Your application to appeal your 2007 examination results must have been received by 5 September 2007.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/state-examinations/appeal_leaving_cert

As they used to say in my day "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A guy in my year was offered a place in Arts even though he failed one of the required subjects. When he rang them up they said they had made a mistake but he was allowed do the course anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes you can be marked down, I don't know why people think you can't be..

No-one got downgraded last year. And it only really happens if your marks were added up too generously, or the examiner was half asleep and marked something right that didn't follow the marking scheme at all.

Did you apply to see your papers in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Of course you can be marked down, the whole paper is simply recorrected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 desertmonkeys

u can be marked down definitely,its in dat appeals brochure thing. im gettin rechecks coz need to go up 15 points(which is unlikely i will!) but have an extra 75 points for the other course i accepted so even if i do go down i wont lose it. see how many extra points u hav for the course u accepted,if uv loads extra its unlikely ul lose ur course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Yes you can be marked down, I don't know why people think you can't be..

No-one got downgraded last year. And it only really happens if your marks were added up too generously, or the examiner was half asleep and marked something right that didn't follow the marking scheme at all.

Did you apply to see your papers in school?

Because they only started marking people down 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Spook_ie wrote:
    Appealing your results
    The State Examinations Commission will provide your school with a personalised appeal application form. (For external candidates, this form will be enclosed with your examination results.) You indicate the subjects you wish to appeal on the appeal form.

The results of oral examinations or the marks for practical examinations cannot be viewed. Only the scripts from the written examinations can be viewed.

A result may be upgraded or downgraded as a result of an appeal.
    The result of the appeal is final. Your application to appeal your 2007 examination results must have been received by 5 September 2007.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/state-examinations/appeal_leaving_cert

As they used to say in my day "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Now I feel old cos they didn't mark down in my day!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

holy **** this is news to me.

i think it's stupid they marking people down. surely you've a right to a second opinion if you think you've been marked harshly and surely you've the right to go with the first opinion if the second one is harsher!

sorry about being wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

i think it's stupid they marking people down. surely you've a right to a second opinion if you think you've been marked harshly and surely you've the right to go with the first opinion if the second one is harsher!

no, no you have no such right, that's ridiculous. If that were the case then everyone who could afford it would appeal every paper and hell, what's the worst that can happen? even if it was marked generously on the first go, you stick with that. Unfair on the people who can't afford it, they can't afford to get two tries at getting an unfairly generous marker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The most common error in marking is a mistake in totting the marks within a question, or where someone has attempted an extra unnecessary option and it gets totted in with the rest of the question by mistake.

Normally the marks to be totted are circled and the extra marks are put within straight brackets [ like this ] to remind the corrector to exclude them, but people make mistakes.

You don't get large variations with different markers marking a question, not as much as you get if there has been a totting error. Anyone checking their papers should do the tots first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

your points can't go down on rechecks only go up. secondly, afaik, once you've been offererd a place (perhaps erroneously) they cannot retract the offer. so you're grand. If you got your desired course why bother getting rechecks?

im pretty sure it can go down. if it is rechecked, you can get a lower grade, so im assuming your points can go down. ring the cao to be sure

u can be marked down definitely,its in dat appeals brochure thing. im gettin rechecks coz need to go up 15 points(which is unlikely i will!) but have an extra 75 points for the other course i accepted so even if i do go down i wont lose it. see how many extra points u hav for the course u accepted,if uv loads extra its unlikely ul lose ur course

but if you accecpted your second choice you cant be offered your first choice. whats the point of getting it rechecked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

but if you accecpted your second choice you cant be offered your first choice. whats the point of getting it rechecked?
    Yes you can. Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You'll only do more harm than good.

Yes you can. Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You'll only do more harm than good.

right you are, as far as i can remember it wasn't like that when i did my leaving (3 years ago), and not everyone on boards is always right, so get used to people giving bad advise from time to time

Advertisement