Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats in the roof

Options
  • 27-08-2007 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I have rats in my roof, i can hear the babies sqeeking. Im not to bothered, the house mate is freaked though. How do i get rid of them. Its alittle unnervering listining to the pitter patterof little ratfeet when im on the interweb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you're not too bothered, it's probably mice, not rats.
    Rats would bother you ..they can make an unbelievable racket.

We had mice in the attic almost every autumn (the little buggers just move in)
    Letting the cats up for a day usually sorts that problem ...even if they don't catch them, they leave enough scent around to scare the mice away.

Can you loan a cat somewhere?

BTW ...you SHOULD be bothered. Mice like to naw on cables, also they build little nests of shredded wood and paper. So not only can they provide a spark, but they also kindly provide kindling ...they are quite a fire risk !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

wWhen i say im not the bothered, i dont mean im not gonna get rid of them straight away, i am. Its the housemates who is getting freaked out by them. We have pigeons as well, i wonder if theres anyway i can get them to fight to the death. I reckon the rats would win, but the pidgeons have the advantage of flight. If they got there tactics right they could make it interesting.
    Sorry rambling, the landlord sending someone around on wednesday to sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think you can buy some device that emits a high frequency sound that drives the rats away. Supposed to be very effective.

When your problem is sorted you can adjust the frequency to get rid of the teenagers hanging around the place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

or if it is rats you could get a lend of a jack russel that would sort them out

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

micmclo wrote:
    I think you can buy some device that emits a high frequency sound that drives the rats away. Supposed to be very effective.

When your problem is sorted you can adjust the frequency to get rid of the teenagers hanging around the place ;)

Yep thats the one.it's an ultrasonic plugin device and it's amazing how fast they clear off.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

macshadow wrote:
    Yep thats the one.it's an ultrasonic plugin device and it's amazing how fast they clear off.:)
    They don't do much for mice. I used to live in accomodation in my workplace. There were mice evrywhere. I tried a few of those ultrasonic devices, left them in situ for a few weeks but no joy. I caught 23 mice in one night alone.

I don't mind mice but I wouldn't fancy too many rats.

OP - I agree with peasant - it's probably mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

They don't do much for mice. I used to live in accomodation in my workplace. There were mice evrywhere. I tried a few of those ultrasonic devices, left them in situ for a few weeks but no joy. I caught 23 mice in one night alone.

I don't mind mice but I wouldn't fancy too many rats.

OP - I agree with peasant - it's probably mice.

OH SH*T You have me worried now:eek:
    It was only mice i had but when i hadn't seen them in a while i presumed they were gone. I'll sleep with one eye open tonight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

There have been plenty of threads in gardening/diy about dealing with mice. I wouldn't like the thought of a nest up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mice can sound like elephants running about in the attic. Just set some human mouse traps (or humane rat traps if it's rats) check them regularly and then bring them, once caught, a couple of miles away to a field or somewhere and release them. They can damage wires etc but if you basically let them be up there they will breed like mad and eventually pop down to the house (if not already). I find the ultrasonic thing works a little bit but only in the attic area for some reason, no harm in plugging one in anyway that plus the humane traps will work.

Advertisement