Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparrowhawk?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Literally after taking these snaps. Heard a noise out the back near my bird feeders and this chap was snacking on a finch. Pic quality is poor, but the markings can be clearly seen.

Is it a sparrowhawk? Just googled it and it seems to be the bird that looks the closest to it to my eyes.

Is it an unusual bird to see in the city? Am in Limerick.

Picture438.jpg

Picture439.jpg

Picture443.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yep, that's a sparrowhawk alright. They're not that unusual in suburban gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

nice one good catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Spotted him again today. He flew to a nearby tree yesterday and seemed to almost burrow his way into a nook, and this morning he was flying back into the same spot.

Do I need to report him to anyone as I thought they were a protected species? I noticed that he has no tag or band on his legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Nice one! Actually I think it's a she...females are bigger in size than males and brown in colour. You can compare with the illustrations here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sparrowhawk/#

No need to report it anywhere, I understand they and the kestrel are the healthiest populations of birds of prey in the country, so they wouldn't actively be captured and tagged. Just sit back and enjoy the show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Nice one! Actually I think it's a she...females are bigger in size than males and brown in colour. You can compare with the illustrations here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sparrowhawk/#

No need to report it anywhere, I understand they and the kestrel are the healthiest populations of birds of prey in the country, so they wouldn't actively be captured and tagged. Just sit back and enjoy the show :)

Yes they are fairly common but nevertheless they are fully protected by the Wildlife Acts from any persecution/hunting etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I have seen this bird recently in my garden, got two pictures but your quality is better, bwt also in Limerick, sounds like the nest is in one of the trees behind our house judging by the early morning crys from the young.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

i too live in co.limerick and in the field behind my house there is a fort....

in or near there lives a kestrel and sparrow hawk....

the sparrow hawk has made off with a kitten of ours:eek: .....

we see him every day, its a fantastic view to watch them flying and hoovering about looking for their lunch as long as its not my kittens any more!

great pictures by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I think there was an owl around here , heard something that sounded like a squeaky gate , few weeks later no more pigeons , few kittens went missing , and found one of them in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

cmurph wrote:

the sparrow hawk has made off with a kitten of ours:eek: .....

The Sparrowhawk will not take kittens, their diet is predominantly small birds taken on the wing, would think something else took your kitten, a Kestrel may, if the kitten was very very small, but very unusual.

Musha wrote:
    I have seen this bird recently in my garden, got two pictures but your quality is better, bwt also in Limerick, sounds like the nest is in one of the trees behind our house judging by the early morning crys from the young.

Where in Limerick are you? It is nipping in and out of a tree near me, have being paying more attention since I saw it the first time. There are a pair of birds there, one much smaller than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

This one was in my garden today after my budgies.

He seems to have a very bad foot broken and messed up!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/1267879691_32afdfbbd1_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

amerden wrote:
    The Sparrowhawk will not take kittens, their diet is predominantly small birds taken on the wing, would think something else took your kitten, a Kestrel may, if the kitten was very very small, but very unusual.

it may well have been the kestrel...its been almost 2 years since it happened

the kittens were young at the time probably only a few weeks and had been taken into the garden by my daughters ,the girls came into the kitchen for a minute and when we went out again the bird was lifting with the kitten in his mouth.....so we saw the bird do it!!

at another time a neighbours kitten went missing and we found the carcass of it in our back yard!
    not sure if the kestrel or hawk would do that...maybe it was an owl.....but all we had left was literally the skeleton of the kitten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

love the pictures:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cmurph wrote:
    it may well have been the kestrel...its been almost 2 years since it happened
    Ther is no way on earth a Kestrel could take a kittten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

oh i love watching birds, that one looks especially interesting. was its eyes darting around the place? hmmm the beedyness of them look quite interesting. ill be keeping my eyes peeled for birds in future in the hope that i will experience that beauty, hmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

There is a sparrowhawk that hunts around the housing estates in Knocknacarra/Clybaun Rd area of Galway city. It uses the next door neighbour's tree as a perch (there's a bird feeder hanging from it, and consequently lots of little birds). Link enclosed is to a couple of pictures taken a few months ago when it landed in the back garden. I was only a few yards from the bird and it didn't seem too bothered by my presence.

Years ago, on our farm in Westmeath, a sparrowhawk killed a sparrow just outside our kitchen window. One of our kittens, about 6 months old, drove off the sparrowhawk before scoffing the sparrow. We couldn't believe it - we half expected the hawk to make a meal of the moggie.

John

It seems to have become a sparrowhawk hang out since I first spotted the female. Have seen the male quite a few times and the nest turned out to be in a tree behind the house. The young hawk is flying now too, and had him in the garden today. Thought he was the adult male when I first spotted him, then saw both at the same time and there is a size difference and a slight difference in colour too. Anyway here is one of today's visits.

Picture010-1.jpg Sneaky sparrowhawk

Picture011.jpg
    Watching the finches trying to hide below him.

Picture012.jpg

Glares at me as I point the camera

Picture013.jpg
    Shrieks and glares at me.

He killed a dove within minutes of the last pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

pure class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Ther is no way on earth a Kestrel could take a kittten!

Not so sure about that... However, has a buzzard been ruled out?

I just had my (almost) daily visit by the male sparrowhawk in my area. I keep meaning to put the camera near the kitchen window...:rolleyes:

My neighbour got a great close-up shot on an old 35mm slr. If I can I will scan the pics and post them. By the way, the shots were after the bird whacked into his bedroom window!! Glad to say no lasting damage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

boneless wrote: »
    Not so sure about that... However, has a buzzard been ruled out?

!

Believe me Boneless (I work with NPWS) a Kestral will not take a kitten.

As for it being a buzzard, the OP was confused as to whether it was a Sparrowhawk or a Kestral. It's a world of a diffence to a Buzzard! Also, while the spread of Buzzards is moving rapidly southwards, they are not yet common in Limerick.

• Advertisement

As for it being a buzzard, the OP was confused as to whether it was a Sparrowhawk or a Kestral. It's a world of a diffence to a Buzzard! Also, while the spread of Buzzards is moving rapidly southwards, they are not yet common in Limerick.

Boneless was not on about my pics being a Buzzard, I think he was asking about the chances of a buzzard taking a kitten.

I knew it was not a Kestral as it looked more like the pics online of a Sparrowhawk, and also it did not hover like a kestral does.

I did see some Buzzards in Tipperary recently, not a long way from the Limerick border. They are spreading west and across the Shannon now! Great news.

I have seen kestrels take large rats, so I just supposed that it would not be beyond the bounds of possibility that one could take a kitten- depending on size of course. I just proffered my thought in the interests of scientific theory...:p

Just got around to reading Michael Viney column from saturday. A person wrote in stating they had seen a kestral trying to take a grey squirrell. Unless they mixed it up with a buzzard (which seems unlikely), it would not be beyond a kitten being attacked in a similar vein. We gotta keep our eyes open!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

Superb sparrowhawk. Well done.

Advertisement