Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Herbs Keep Dying

Options
  • 27-08-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Every so often I decide to buy herbs, the usual ones - Parsley, Basil and Chives.

Does not matter if I get them in LIDL, Tesco or Garden Centre, they always die within a couple of weeks.

I bought them last thursday and already they are beginning to wilt. I have watered them and taken off chunks to use.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Basil is very hard to grow. Parsley is easier. Chives are dead easy.
    Grow them in a big pot with lots of good compost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Repot them into a size bigger pot. Water sparingly. I've transplanted chives out without any probs. Parsley is hit and miss, one year it grew brilliantly and the next it wilted away. This year a managed to grow flat-leaf parsley from seed and it is now a massive parsley jungle - anyone any tips on how to preserve even just some of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is't is a fact that the majority of potted plants purchased from garden centers need to be repotted as soon as purchased as the rooting has outgrown the pot and they lack feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

10-10-20 wrote:
    Is't is a fact that the majority of potted plants purchased from garden centers need to be repotted as soon as purchased as the rooting has outgrown the pot and they lack feed?

Thats not true most plants come in from Holland etc,there are a lot of herbs grown in Ireland for the garden centres etc and all will have been potted on in the last 8 weeks before been put into sale.Herbs are mostly killed by to much water and sitting on windows inside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Definitely take them out of the pots you buy them in. I re-potted mine in bigger pots and they were doing ok. Then I read somewhere that need lots of space, so I put them out into the actual garden and they took off. My parsley and chives have done really well. Now if only I could figure out the basil, but I've heard that's hard to grow anyway :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement