Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food labelling laws

• 27-08-2007 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Could someone tell me what the law is on food labelling in Ireland? Especially in relation to packaging of nuts - does one need to write the origin of the nut or list the energy value/if any additives/colourings were added?

Could someone point out the relevant law that covers this?

(Does the E.U. have something on this too?)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

take a look at the food safety authority website which has most of the acts, SIs and EU law on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thanks!

Foreign companies selling products here would be governed by the SIs too?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

S.I.s or Statutory Instruments are generally 'vehicles' in order to transpose an EU Directive or Decision. There is little or no margin or appreciation for changes, all that happens is that the Directive is published in the official European Journal or OJ and a date for transposition is included. In some circumstance the civil servants or government can mandate national variants, such as requirements for keeping things etc.

Sometimes EU law conflicts with Irish Constitutional Law and requires an Act of the Oireachtas in order to have the affect required. This is pretty rare though. Article 29.6 of the 1937 Constitution provides a shield in terms of necessitating EU membership etc.

Criminal sanctions might fall foul of the Constitutional shield and a good case on that is Brown v. Minister for Fish and Chips. In which Denham J. struck down a S.I. which was brought in including summary criminal santions for infractions in relation to fishing.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thirdfox wrote:
    Thanks!

Foreign companies selling products here would be governed by the SIs too?
    Do you mean foreign companies like Tesco/Lidl or do you mean foreign companies like Macvities/Kraft?

I would imagine the onus is on the merchant to sell goods to consumers that comply with any law here.
    I couldn't see why foreign merchants selling here would get any derogation of the law... only the EU services directive would come close and that was for services and was shot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I would mean a foreign manufacturer - suppling a supermarket here...

Thanks for the info so far (never thought to check the food safety website!)

Found this which I think has the biggest impact:
    http://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food/eu_docs/Labelling/Nutrition%20labelling%20for%20foodstuffs/Dir90.496.pdf

in a more layperson friendly version:
    http://www.fsai.ie/publications/posters/Labelling_Poster.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement